User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #46
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Testing 1, 2, 3...

Does this pic look better than the others?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
it's formatted larger so we can see it better than the smaller versions you were posting.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #48
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,737
Post big pictures, get a real camera
Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #49
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

The 177 mile ride from Chandigarh to Manali took 11 hot and brutal hours. I started out at 5:00 in the morning while it was still nice and cool, about 90F. I was quite happy as I was making very good progress and, at about 40 mph, the breeze kept me cool. As the Himalayas appeared off in the distance, I was even more excited. Progressing, I found sections of the road in varying states of disrepair. One section was gone. I took a moment then and wished for my BMW. That not appearing, and with the minimal suspension of the Enfield, made for a rough day of riding. As a result, I'll take an extra day here to rest my bones.

Temperatures soared and progress slowed. By noon the temperature reached 110F and for reasons unknown, shade seemed to be at a premium. When I did find it, I pulled over to cool off, only to have it disappear completely within 20 minutes. Admittedly, as far as temps are concerned, I do make things worse for myself by wearing all my gear; Klim Adventure Rally Suit, Arai XD3, and Sidi Adventure Rain boots. I do make one concession in excessive heat, I wear wrist length gloves as opposed to my usual full gauntlet gloves. The shorter gloves allow for the occasional breeze up my sleeves. Worse, though, the Klim suit isn't exactly made for excessive heat as it's quite heavy and quite black. Cooling vents opened, but when your averageing 30 mph, they can't be very effective. On the up side, though, the built-in cargo system is very handy and I do make liberal use of the built-in hydration system.

The road narrowed with increasing frequency as I got closer to Manali. Tourist traffic caused congestion abounded. Progress slowed to a crawl. Trucks carrying rafts and buses filled with people seeking relief from the oppressive heat of the city come to this area for the cooler mountain temperatures and the excitement of white water rafting or hiking.

Finally close enough to the river that the rafters had been enjoying, I stopped to cool my feet. Removing my boots revealed socks so sweat soaked they could be rung out.

So cooled was the glacial melt water of the river, keeping my feet in was difficult but worth it. I felt refreshed and clear-headed after a few minutes of the ice cold water. Though the relief wasn't to last.

Back on the bike and into the heat and dense, slow moving traffic. Just as I entered the narrow street through town, my limits reached, progress stopped. Concentrated tourist traffic. Maybe the bike overheated but that's when it stalled and I couldn't get it started. I pulled over and the two of us cooled off and rested one final time. Minimal energy regained, and with a little focus, I was able to kick start the bike and find a hotel.

After checking in and showering, I collapsed in bed and, despite the earlyness, slept for seven hours.

Because of the toughness of the trip and my gear stowed so tightly, I had little motivation to pullover, find my camera and take pictures. Rested, I'll try to correct that shortcoming tomorrow.

With the oppressive heat largely behind me (currently 44F at 5:00 am), the trip should be less draining, heat wise (knock on wood) and with the snowcapped part of the mountains ahead of me, the story should be more interesting. Though many road challenges are still ahead.

Now I start taking my anti-mountain sickness meds.

fat_tony screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 10:31 PM
fat_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #50
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Feeling very dehydrated from the heat of the past few days. I may stay in Manali one more day.

As a consolation, my current view.

fat_tony screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 02:22 AM
Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #51
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

This would be more amusing if I didn't just send a bag of clothes out for laundering.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #52
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

The things I'm missing most right now.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #53
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 866
Enjoying the RR..

Once your life has been touched by a Lab...it'll never the same!
Wish i could say that for women....
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #54
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Feeling of dehydration waning. Muscles still aching.

Will strike out for Keylong very early tomorrow in order to avoid traffic. I don't particularly like sitting motionless under the unrelenting rays of the sun in traffic while wearing all my mc gear.

Keylong resides at 10,100 feet however, to get there, one must pass Rohtang La at 13,051 feet; a 7000 foot rise in elevation. Rohtang, consequently, translates literally into pile of corpses.

Keylong being only 72 miles away would make for a short ride, however one needs 4 to 6 hours merely to negotiate Rohtang La.

Meanwhile, I've been taking the time to attend to my gear. Yesterday, among other things, I removed and cleaned my helmet liner. Feels and smells so much better now that all the dirt and sweat are gone.

Today I will buy jerrycans so I can carry some extra gas.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I carry 7 liters of water with me - 3L in my jacket's built-in "camelbak" and 4L in bottles. It's a lot of water, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

fat_tony screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 11:12 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #55
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I'm sure you've been told already, but the ride up to Rohtang is quite nightmarish. Thousands of tourists go up for a day trip and it's not unheard of to take upto 8 hours to reach Rohtang and experience 8-10 kms long traffic jams in deep slush in the "sinking zone". So please be mentally prepared for that.

Also, I found it best to strike out of Manali as early 3.30 or 4.00am. You may still get traffic jams, but maybe less. Byt time you hit the bad areas, there would already be daylight, so no worries.

And ofcourse, please do double check locally on one more thing. "Officially", the road to Rohtang is closed on Tuesdays for "maintenance", and you're planning to ride out on Tuesday, right?

Though last time I beat that by leaving at 3.30am before the check-post starts operating.....as had hundreds of others :)

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #56
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

Mr. GurgaonTrails you are wise. I actually planned to head out around 2:00 or 3:00 am but I'll still check on its status.

Also, what sort of temps am I looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post
I'm sure you've been told already, but the ride up to Rohtang is quite nightmarish. Thousands of tourists go up for a day trip and it's not unheard of to take upto 8 hours to reach Rohtang and experience 8-10 kms long traffic jams in deep slush in the "sinking zone". So please be mentally prepared for that.

Also, I found it best to strike out of Manali as early 3.30 or 4.00am. You may still get traffic jams, but maybe less. Byt time you hit the bad areas, there would already be daylight, so no worries.

And ofcourse, please do double check locally on one more thing. "Officially", the road to Rohtang is closed on Tuesdays for "maintenance", and you're planning to ride out on Tuesday, right?

Though last time I beat that by leaving at 3.30am before the check-post starts operating.....as had hundreds of others :)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #57
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

A few pics from my last day in Manali.

fat_tony screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 03:27 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #58
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,737

Nice. Someone rode that from Calcutta I think and it still in running condition
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #59
fat_tony OP
Adventurer

In the last 12 or 15 hours I drank 4 liters of water. I'm now feeling much better. Along with the feeling of dehydration before I also had a persistent headache. That too is now gone.

The plan is to get up at midnight and set out by 1:00 or 1:30 to avoid traffic and the standard Tuesday closing of the road for routine maintenance.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
In the last 12 or 15 hours I drank 4 liters of water. I'm now feeling much better. Along with the feeling of dehydration before I also had a persistent headache. That too is now gone.

The plan is to get up at midnight and set out by 1:00 or 1:30 to avoid traffic and the standard Tuesday closing of the road for routine maintenance.
I'm loving this ride report!
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote