User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Mortis (the Brit) OP
Seeker of the truth

Oddometer: 91
Norway - help and advice

I'm contemplating visiting Norway next year as ever since I saw a picture of the Trollstigen, I've wanted to ride it. I've also seen a picture of the Borgund Stave Church and it looks like that also a definite to visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgund_Stave_Church

I am thinking of doing this trip in August, possibly the last two weeks. If anyone can give me any information regarding this planned trip, please let me know. I will be camping most of the time and I have considered renting a cabin for a few nights. Merci Beaucoup, Danke Schon, Thank You All and, IIRC, Tussen Tak
Mortis (the Brit) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Panayos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis (the Brit) View Post
I'm contemplating visiting Norway next year as ever since I saw a picture of the Trollstigen, I've wanted to ride it. I've also seen a picture of the Borgund Stave Church and it looks like that also a definite to visit.

I am thinking of doing this trip in August, possibly the last two weeks. If anyone can give me any information regarding this planned trip, please let me know. I will be camping most of the time and I have considered renting a cabin for a few nights. Merci Beaucoup, Danke Schon, Thank You All and, IIRC, Tussen Tak
Go for it mate, Norway is amazing,i will also be there in August.
See you
Panayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:

Hmmm, it would help if you sort of sketched out an itinerary so inmates can fill in the blanks.

The main point I'd make is that when you head north, take highway 17 north of Trondheim up to Bodo. It means hopping ferries from the mainland to islands, islands to islands, so the average speed is rather low, but really scenic. The alternative is the highway E6 in the middle of the country but while it's scenic, it's also a bit boring, but faster for the return.

One of the places on every tourist map is the fjord at Geiranger.

Trollstigen is a nice ride and if you shoot for the 17, it's on the way, not far north of Geiranger. I didn't know until well afterword that you can get the best shots from just near the top of the waterfall. No turning back, eh?

Campgrounds are everywhere. Many have 'huttes', little cabins just right for an overnight.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Mortis (the Brit) OP
Seeker of the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Hmmm, it would help if you sort of sketched out an itinerary so inmates can fill in the blanks.
Sorry, it will be - Get off of ferry, ride to Norway, ride back to ferry

I don't do itineraries when I'm on holiday. Just usually plan places or events to visit before the holiday and then see what happens along the way. The only plans so far are to visit the Trollstigen, the Stave Church and call in at some friends in Frederikstad. After seeing that photo and looking it up on Google maps, I've added Geiranger to that list

Nice photos.

Oh, and how much are the ferries if I were to take that route? I'm budgeting for about £1000 for two weeks but I'm sure I'm going to need more.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,357
Wicked

Quote:
Sorry, it will be - Get off of ferry, ride to Norway, ride back to ferry

I don't do itineraries when I'm on holiday. Just usually plan places or events to visit before the holiday and then see what happens along the way. The only plans so far are to visit the Trollstigen, the Stave Church and call in at some friends in Frederikstad. After seeing that photo and looking it up on Google maps, I've added Geiranger to that list

Nice photos.

Oh, and how much are the ferries if I were to take that route? I'm budgeting for about £1000 for two weeks but I'm sure I'm going to need more.

Can't even begin to recall the ferry tariffs of six years ago. I assumed you'd be going further north than your POIs. If you do, take the ferries at least a few times for the photo ops. Norway is expensive, d'oh. The hutte in my photo was the quivalent of about 40 GBP for one night, but it was the deluxe model with running cold water inside. Toilet not far away, same for the showers. Yeah, I think you'll need more. Oh, and one important fact: highway speed limit is 80 kph except for a few stretches near the major towns. I was in a spirited run down the E6 with a few bikes chasing me. Crested a hill and there were two cops with a radar gun. Too late to brake down but one of the cops just did the up and down gesture with his hand. I gave him the thumbs up. Not that it slowed me down much.

RTLover screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 08:07 AM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Which ferry? Dover - Calais or Harwich - Esjberg?

Seriously, this sort of thing needs a little attention.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Mortis (the Brit) OP
Seeker of the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Which ferry? Dover - Calais or Harwich - Esjberg?

Seriously, this sort of thing needs a little attention.
I meant the ones in Norway. I've already checked the ferries to mainland Europe and they're a bit It might be cheaper to travel down to Dover and get the Chunnel than get a ferry. Harwich to Esbjerg was over £700 return and the Hull to Rotterdam ferry was over £300 if I were to book for this year. I will check again for next year in January as no doubt it will work out cheaper. I'm hoping to have a few travelling companions with me so the Harwich to Esbjerg ferry might work out cheaper as a lot of the cost is in the cabin they make you book.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:

Things to see. Too many to mention
The most scenic part is the west coast of the southern part of Norway (south of Trondheim) and the coast from Trondheim north. The link in my signature might give you some inspiration.

http://www.visitnorway.com/ is a nice place for fast and accurate information.

Quick rundown of the price level:
Currency per June 8th 2013: 1 GBP = NOK 8,99 / 1 EUR = NOK 7,63

Tollroads: NOK 0 (Usually free for motorcycles)
95 fuel: NOK 14.50 per ltr
Ferries: Depends on the ferry company and the distance, but the one from Eidsdal - Linge is NOK 46 for bike + rider. It's a 10 minute ferry across a little fjord. This is the ferry you take if you choose to ride out of Geiranger and north/west towards the atlantic coast road. You can also take a ferry from Geiranger - Valldal for NOK 350 and experience the worlds greatest fjord form the water. Takes 2h15m and drops you off a few miles further up than Linge, so it's the same direction.

Pitch tent, bush camping: NOK 0 (not on cultivated land or within 150m of a house is perfectly alright, but use common sense)
Pitch tent, camping ground: NOK 50-70
Hytte (cabin) per night, camping ground NOK 250-600
Simpler, but perfectly fine hotel room, per night: NOK 650-1000 (often includes breakfast. Thon hotels are usually good)

Hamburger, burger joint: NOK 100
Dinner, restaurant: NOK 200-300 (without starter, dessert or drinks. I usually plan for NOK 500-750 per person for restaurant dinner)
Pizza, frozen, grocery store: NOK 50
Pizza, pizza place: NOK 190
Ice cream, gas station: NOK 20-30
Coffee, gas station NOK 20-30

Soda, 0,5 ltr bottle, gas station: NOK 25
Soda, 0,5 ltr bottle, grocery store: NOK 15
Beer, bottle, grocery store: NOK14
Beer, 0,5 ltr, pub: NOK 65 ->

Quote:
Tussen Tak
Roughly translates to "Troll roof"
"Tusen takk" means "a thousand thanks"

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
What can you generally find for equipment in those cabins? A stove and a sink or nothing but a bed?
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
andershz
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
What can you generally find for equipment in those cabins? A stove and a sink or nothing but a bed?
Varies a lot.
Minimum seems to be a fridge and a hot plate.
Water sometimes needs to be fetched in a separate building.
Usually there are some pots and pans, plates, cutlery, glasses etc.
On the other end of the scale you have a stove with several plates and oven,
coffe-maker, sink with hot and cold water, bathroom/shower, TV.
One thing that I haven't seen in any cabin is a microwave oven.
andershz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
The most scenic part is the west coast of the southern part of Norway (south of Trondheim)
I'm off there in a week - what would you advise between say Kristiansand and Trondheim, if we stuck to the coast?
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,893
Umm, yes.

You can't go wrong either way, but the places most try to get to are Geiranger and Trollstigen at least. If you're all the way down to Kristiansand I'd head over to Stavanger and do the 2h hike out to Prekestolen. Stavanger is also a nice city.

Bergen city is an old trading port. Lots of 15th-18th century buildings, famous fish market and gondola ride Fløybanen.

If you click the Lindesnes to north cape ride report in my signature Prekestolen is day 2, Geiranger is day 4 I think.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote