User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
my review....allround bike rental in frankfurt. sept. 2014

After doing much research on rental companies, we decided to go with this company. The prices were good with a good selection. We exchanged several emails back and forth, as one usually does while arranging a international rental.

We had a few issues......

The bikes were advertised as coming with luggage but when we inquired about it, we were told they did NOT come with luggage. We went back and double checked the offered bikes and it stated that luggage did come with.

We sent another email with one question, about the luggage, so as to not have more than one question in the email. Again,we were told the luggage did not come with,despite what the website said.

When we arrived, oh..... One bike had a top box, only, and the other bike,a speedback soft luggage system.. Which would have been OK, I guess, except we had made packing adjustments as so to bring two soft bags to put on the one bike.

We could have used the suitcase room for other items.

One bike was 10 years old and carbourated,much to our surprise. It hadn't even occurred to me to ask the age of the bikes, I assumed the rental bikes would be within five years old or newer. The bike ran poorly in the mountains due to the jetting. Also, the steering head bearing were just about shot, big notch.

The bike bogged and stalled twice on the highway on the return ride.

The second bike had a throttle that wouldn't close when it was open, such as doing a quickish mountain descent. I would be able to twist the throttle back and forth with no response from the bike but when the bike was parked, the throttle would snap back as it should.

Otherwise, it was fine.

These issues were enough to for us to not rent again from this company.

YMMV, of course. I am sure that there have been many satisfied clients who have used this service, we are just not in that group, I suppose.

Cheers!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663
Without being too nosey...what was the REAL rental cost per bike for the 15 days duration?
Base rate/ excess km per day/ luggage rental/ and whatever else they slugged you with like extra insurance, cleaning fees or the like...

Certainly sounds like "cheap" bites you on the ass...and a few bux more at MotoMader in Zuerich gets you fresh bikes from 3hours to 6 mths "old" with a full set of luggage incl. tank bags and new tires for just a few bux more.
And that's discounting the Swiss Autobahn sticker, legal EU-compliance re: extras like 1. aid kit and all the other little items included.

Anyway....you didn't get stranded and that's the main thing.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,860
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,164
Reminds me of a sign in an old friend's shop:

"Low Price
Quick Service
Quality Work

Pick two..."

And, of course, TANSTAAFL also applies.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
The experience wasn't horrible by any means and the whole trip was definatley a learning experience for the future. We did buy extra insurance for the bikes at the last minute but other than that there were no extra fees or over km fees.

Did we get value for our money? I think so......kinda....barely..... As I stated, we will look elsewhere next time.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote