User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,440
Slap 2012

Post your SLAP ride reports here..so far, so good, sorta..some injuries, but mostly fun..

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Redburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I got slapped at slap

Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,529
Did ya even get to ride before that happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redburn View Post
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Redburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Me and Dean had been riding about 2 hours when it happened. long enough to make it a fun ambulance ride out.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Celtazon
Enigma

Oddometer: 403
It was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new folk.
I had several great rides on my short stay and even found the single track I was looking for!!!
To my new riding companion, YEEEHAW dat waz F U N!

...and again, I would like to take a moment and apologize for my behavior...again.

Jason drove up on this. Impressive.

I too encountered one of these and commenced to growling.

Name That Bubbly Burn:
Hint: Part of a bike branded me while moving my riding companions rear wheel over to negotiate some messychit.

Ye ol WR looking over the edge. She decided not to jump in the end and off we went for more rocky fun.
Celtazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
I can report I had a great ride with 4 other guys on the Natural Damn route. Will post the little video I made on Pannell Rd. when I get a chance to upload it. I made it home with around 215 miles on the day.

Got involved with the Gus/Magoo search and rescue but trail got really bad. I was going in ahead of the search and rescue guys to take in some water to them, and wasn't sure I was even on the right trail still. I turned around and rode back up some crap I wasn't sure I could and was 1. Impressed how the DR went back up, and 2. Was thinking why in the hell anybody would ride down in there for fun?

Oh yeah, John fell down twice on the F800 but he did charge across Lee Creek and back when no one else wanted to see how deep it was, so I guess it balanced out.

I also saw a black bear just below the lodge road. First one I ever saw, it ran across the road.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

As Elvis said..the mayhem continues..envolves Magoo, toyman, zecatfish, dragon43, mountinmoto and Crawford County Search and Rescue! Stay tuned!

oh, there are PIX!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
mossycreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
i hope everyone is ok

Sounds like i missed out on an eventfull day.
mossycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Big Bike Saturday Tour

First off a few pictures of the crowd in the lodge last night. Funny how I woke up this morning with my eyes burning, short of breath. I ran outside and got some fresh air and it cleared very soon. Wondering what happened soon it came on me " Acute Methane Poisoning" Not as lethal as carbon monoxide. But seriously there is no energy crisis. There is a huge untouched reserve of gas energy walking around us every day! Enough rant.

The acoustic Pink Floyd Serenade last night was excellent!! Thanks to the minstrels!!

Toyman in the foreground. Can't wait to hear what kind of mischief he got into.

Zecat in the foreground coming up with a waypoint for me to make it up to Big Piney Overlook. It's beautiful up there.

Mossy and the gang reflecting on that legendary KTM reliability in the middle of BFE ( or rather BFAr)

Met my fellow Super Tenere owner Flying W at Cass and we proceeded to what we call Pine Mountain Vista. We did have a stall getting through some water, but nothing got dropped or muddy.

Yours Truly at said vista.

We then headed over to Big Piney Overlook and Long Pool. That swimming area was happening!!. I see why people head over there to camp off the TAT. It's a wonderful swimming hole. Interestingly, we ran into about a half a dozen of Arkansas's finest from the Game and Fish on ATV's at the Overlook. Officer Pratt was kind enough to take a picture with us both. Unfortunately we don't have any photos from the swimming hole. If you stop to park you have to pay, so we just rolled through very slowly.

We then headed up to Deer and had a very late lunch at the Deer Cafe which was okay. Finally made it to beautiful Limestone Valley without denting up my skid plate. Stopped by Cave Mountain Cave but the Freddy's have shut it down because of the White Nose Bat Fungus.

It was really nice to meet everyone. Big shout out to Zecatfish for the waypoint and letting me ride his bike. Thanks again to the organizers and other attendees for a wonderful event. !!
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Home safe and sound!

Had GREAT ride with Elvis70 (Darren), nnickles (Nate), CopperJohn (John) and Farscape (Jody). Good riders, everyone one of them! My hat REALLY goes off to Elvis, nnickles, and CopperJohn for riding those heavy bikes out through some pretty rough stuff. Great job, guys! Of course Farscape cheated: He rode a KTM!!!

Hadn't ridden Warloop Road since about 1999. They've worked on it quite a bit. You guys would have really liked the "old" Warloop.

First time on Pannell. It's the bomb! Great little trail with some fun stuff thrown in for good measure.

Was really glad I stayed with Elvis' ride. (Seriously thought about going on Newner's ride at the last moment.) However, stuck with Elvis n' crew and had a grand time. Plus, had a chance to put Scrapper (my new WR250R) to a bit of a test on the uphill run at Pannell. It did GREAT! Next is gearing!

Alas, Scrapper didn't come out completely unscathed: The two bolts that hold the seat in place vibrated loose and fell out "somewhere". No biggie... but something I'll need to check often I reckon'.

In all, getting to meet some of the crazies that haunt advrider.com was cool. Too bad I couldn't go on everybody's ride... sounds like most of them had a lot of fun!

The Grillmeisters out did themselves on the burgers n' dogs on Friday night. Tonight we had homemade beef stew, homemade coleslaw, cornbread and peach and blueberry cobbler!

I didn't take a single pic. (Shame on me.) However, I think Elvis and John took plenty of our ride and others shot pics of the overall event as well as their chosen rides that I'm sure will get posted.

Special thanks and a BIG appreciation for those that have the responsibility of organizing and putting SLAP on. I know I'll miss many that helped for lack of knowing, but for sure involved were: DrLewall and Toyman.

Hopefully Doc will step in and post the names of all those that helped put this on so us attendees that came and enjoyed the fruits of their labor can offer up a sincere THANK YOU.

Gonna' try to make again in 2013!

Vinduroman
Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #11
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
As Elvis said..the mayhem continues..envolves Magoo, toyman, zecatfish, dragon43, mountinmoto and Crawford County Search and Rescue! Stay tuned!

oh, there are PIX!
Where? Have you started another link?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Where? Have you started another link?
oh hell no..no other link..the pix will come when the guys who have them get home from SLAP! duh
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Wow... I was hoping for more pics n' reports! Guess everybody's sore or sumpthin'???

FWIW: I was the Official Old Fart of our group. Yup, had a bunch of snot-nosed kids riding with me. I think Nate was 36, Elvis 41, Jody 46, and John was soon to be 50? Humph... punk kids.

BTW: I'm feeling great! No soreness or otherwise!

Vinduroman
Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Elvis you should turn in your Man Card....

Now for the good stuff.....

I rode to SLAP on the XTique, its my version of a frankenbike.
IT was 180 mile ride up from Greenbrier, Ar for me. I had to make a little detour here and there checking out some forest roads that people was having a hard time finding/following over around treat on the Big Piney.
So FSR1842 is closed, FSR1003 is closed, you can no longer access Billy Jack Ford on 1802 from Fort Douglas, seems that the land owners gated and blocked all access through there. I got word going out to a friend at the Forestry department to investigate it and see if we can get them opened back up. But I'm off topic here. So lets get to the reporting.

I stopped at the typical point for me, Hector and gassed up.

I sen a trio on KTM 990's riding the TAT while I was there but I was busy leaving out and forgo'd the pictures.
I started out on the TAT from Hector, and shock of Horrors they paved 1/2 of Granny Gap II I wasn't sure I was on the correct road at first.

I actually pressed XTique into service in a whirlwind of repairs etc at the last minute. I wasn't going to go to SLAP this year and so left myself little time to get ready.
Here it is at the Big Piney OverLook on Treat road.

There is not a camera made that an do justice to the awesome view from here. Its so Close to the TAT (about a mile north) and yet no one on it knows what they're missing in this.

So I continued on down to Treat to see what had changed,
Not a lot of water in the creeks down there right now, its been a dry year.

A left turn across the bridge, brings you to the Page cabin.

It was built on the site of the Post Office that was here in 1901.
What has changed in a 100 year? Now we can't ever close a government office.
This is a "Stile" Rock.

It was moved to this location by hand from several miles away, and a Stile Rock was used by LAdies to allow them to get on and off their Horses.

So onward I go, and I missed something in route. 1842 turned into 1821 and its a dead end way up in the woods. I found it personally.
I had to shimmy under this tree twice because of that too.
Swiss Army knife to the rescue. I cut the limbs etc that was in my way to get under it.

Well after finding the road I wanted was not there anymore. Behind a locked gate I think, I met a farmer with a front endloader grading the road just before this and he didn't want to visit or seem friendly in the least so I was not about to ask to cut across his place.
So I ran treat road north and came back down 1802 thinking I was enjoy the ride and cut back up the Big Piney to Fort Douglas, well that as WRONG. There had been recent logging along the creek.
Where 1802 crosses the Big Piney is known as Billy Jack Ford, and typically its DEEP and swift. But not today.

Here is where the actual ford is. Its rough and the few times I've been able to cross here, I've walked the bike across.

So after checking the GPS and looking around a bit thinking I just missed a road in the terrain change from floods and logging I backed up a bit and found the missing road behind a locked gate and some really large trees laid along the edge of the road so they was serious about not wanting people to pass.

I lost half an hour going back up and around to 123 to get to Fort Douglas.
Then I started up the Big Piney with intentions of riding City Road around to Gobbler Gap on the TAT and then on to White rock.... Well at this time it 3pm and I didn't want to miss supper so I just kicked it in the butt and headed that way and skipped the pictures.
I arrived about 5pm.

more to come later.....

Just a hint... Magoo

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680