Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Whooo-eee. What an "adventure" Gus n' the boys had!

Can't top that one. No way!

Was gonna' share some various impressions n' such of our day... but wow... how do you follow THAT act?

Glad all got out okay and no serious injuries.

Vinduroman
Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
The pictures:

::::: Click on the first picture, it is a link to the whole album. :::::

My version of what happened will be in my next post. This is all pictures.

Adventure, terror in retrospect...
THANKS for the awesome reports ZeCat and DragonFO-3, and Proton and everyone else posting too!!!!!!!

Too funny

GREAT weekend. I look forward to seeing more pics of the rides. The only pic I have is Bigassrider Larry sitting on his VStrom 650 in the middle a creek. After trying to clear the creek on his foot pegs with 4 inches of clearance!!!!! His last words to me...."try to keep my feet dry" Rocks were slick as snot because rain has been horribly low. Ray, Tcourdin and Jeffro slammed it, explored and stopped me from crossing. wahoooo!!!! Great ride led by TED. Lots of good fast dirt. But DUSTY!!!!!

The Sat ride was nuts. We kicked that m'fers tail as a team. I knew we had Gus out when at the beginning of the Rock Gauntlet (Pic above…”bruised, bloody, tired….”), sitting on a tree, he said “We just gotta do it.” I was afraid that was exactly what we had to do! ZeCat was screaming up the hill outta this m’fer. He was pissed! He was PISSED (because the Rock Gauntlet won ). Magoo was unknowingly crawling back to his bike, and we were at the GATES.
I was glad I did not completely flip my bike over me (and glad I had the XT under me to kick up the hill). I had to keep the smooth scorpions spinning so my clutch was being killed, but it was fine. The XT never was down, like all the bikes, including zecats frankencycle. XT even restarted on three clicks after being upside down on a hill for 15 minutes ((((((This was my close to giving up point, but I kicked the bike down a few feet and pushed it upright. SPENT)))))))
OK might as well. Here is what I know:::::::::: MY halfway-full TAKE, TO ADD TO GUS’S report::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Stopped at horses to chat and Ray, Tcourdin, Jeff, and Larry ride up. They are heading to Natural Dam. I think, NOPE too far and my group is staying close (knee was hurting, but I was pain free J, but still wanted to stay close). Off the former group goes and all of a sudden we are dumping down a four-wheeler trail. I was a tiiiiny bit hesitant but was having fun. After a 20 minute stop-go down the hill, we were at the bottom. At this time I should have known that in the Boston Mtns forest roads are rarely in bottoms and we would likely be riding a four wheeler road out. Zcat goes to the right, reports a rocky son of a bitch. Bill goes left and that wasn't a good route. So the committee decides to go right to the waterfall. Waterfall was nice, but an eeeery feeling. On the way there Magoo had a spill at the gates of Hades (Zcats pics). Figuring ‘right’ was the only way to go, on through the waterfall trail after a break, up the headwater stream. These trails either get outta the creekbed or not. Goes along the stream or goes up the valley walls (what we came down). This one ran up the stream until ROCK GAUNTLET and then popped out and was relatively not horrible, until the LAST STEPS OF HADES and the ROCK MARATHON to the finish.
The Rock Gauntlet was actually the gates of hell. Concrete block sized rocks and everthing else torn up from the floods last Spring. An inspirational moment was when call-it-like-it-is Zcat became pissed off at the Gauntlet. He reported that he had to walk/throttle his bike through and this TOPPED HIM OFF. He was done. All I could remember was him taking his last bit of snuff on the couch at the lodge and saying how he needed to get some. OK. Easy late morning ride off to get snuff. NOPE. “It has CEASED to be fun!!!!” I say something, I think I ask what happened. At the same time ZeCat screams how the fun has ceased again I look up and see the Gauntlet. ZeCat answers my questions. Oh shit. I am both awed that ZeCat has been challenged, worried about the levity of the situation, and also think it is one of the greatest moments ever. Sorry ZeCat I know you needed snuff. Well, nuff snuff said. We need a man out and ZeCat scratches up the hill on his machine, Gus and I hear him tear off. Outta sound is even better, that means he has escaped. Ze Cat is gone to get rescue help. At that point I was not sure that we did not need a lot of help..four wheelers and man power…so I was glad ZCat was out.
Gus and I were sitting at the rock gauntlet and I decided to go check on Magoo and Bill. It had been too long, getting through the half-ass trail up the stream channel...in and out rocks rocks rocks. I go back down the trail only to the last crossing and Magoo is climbing up to his bike. Crawling apparently. F*ed up leg, bad. Things are bad now. Now it is about getting out safely. At this point (still at the bottom but waaaaaaay upstream), Bill begin climbing both bikes out of there. At the last leap he was not even wearing a helmet, just moving bikes on a very nasty trail. ((((((I was super-comfy on my XT250 and knew I would probably severely wreck the WR, but maybe have fun just before that!!!)))))). Magoo grabs a stick and starts hiking. Bill had the bikes covered and I was trying to keep Gus drinking and cool. Magoo was making good ground but he was getting thirsty!!!!!! ((((Magoo can probably recall more of the detail and the passes on the trail)))) Some points were a little hazy, but we all kept pushing.
We engineered a trail through the rock gauntlet and set sail to the next level of Hades. I think the next several hundred feet or so was ok-going until it began to get steep again. I scouted up to the next to last ROCK MARATHON, stopped, whistled because I was actually worried to go DOWN the last steps of HADES. I started walking….”Fu*k NO that’s a long hike and my legs hurt." I would rather ride a sickle and lay it over than WALK. UH, I layed it over on the way back down for the scout report (which was a gloomy, candid and apparently lie-filled report…..) that’s when my bike went upside down and gas drained out for about five minutes, I tried to flip it upright and about blew my nuts out my ass, finally kick it down the hill and stood it up. Gus limps Red&Black to where I am. I explain that I survived an up and down of the LAST STEPS OF HADES and botched it here, going to slow because I was tired, and dumped the bike and me downhill.
Water check between me Bill and Gus. Nuttin. We drink the last drops and I put thought of getting water in my head…. to not forget. Bill takes off on his 650R and I told Gus to stop at the bend and sit on the nice square rock. At some near point I sickle up the last stretch, which required a focus like in the last up/down depth of Hades. Ran in to Magoo cane’in up the hill and tell him water/contact is a must. Gus had giving me his phone and said to call Colleen when I got to the top, (press 2 for Colleen I cannot forget). Start scrambling up the hill and pass Magoo and Bill somewhere I guess, got to the top and call and get voice mail w/ Colleen and tried to leave a message to not cause too much concern, but probably was not successful at that . Forgot the gist of the message I left but wanted to at least report road number (4114 I think)/ Tremble Cemetery Road and have a vehicle as close as possible and asap.
Sooooo, hauled tail up the last ROCK MARATHON to Trimble Cemetary road. Reached pavement (intersec of Tremble Cem Rd.) and picked the South/West direction. Blasted to the nearest house and some very nice lady filled the Nalgene liter and another OJ plastic bottle. I stuffed the liter and put the orange juice jug on my lap, and back down the highway. I was concerned for the fellers and knew that water might provide a good recharge and was crucial at this point probably. Found Magoo just at the entrance of the trail exhausted (an entrance of which one would never think would lead anywhere), dropped the OJ bottle off with Magoo…because Nalgene was in the tail bag and I the OJ bottle was bout to meet the ROCK MARATHON of HADES downhill. Finally made It back to the top of the last STEPS of Hades……..and………
Bill was in position/starting to get Gus up the hill. I had water. They had handled about 20 ft of the hill nicely. They had a rest and they were getting it going. This hill was nasty; I was about 70% convinced that Bill was going to have to ride/we were going to push/winch the bike up. NOPE. We were behind Gus scotching the back wheel every time Gus spins/stops and we throw a rock behind the wheel. I am directly behind the bike, my head about 6 inches from the DRAGONS ASS!!!!! After one last brake a third of the way up the last steps of Hades he throttles that mf’er up and doesn’t stop. I am limping/running up the hill anticipating the roll down. Off he goes. He stops on the next bench. Head on bar. BREAKTIME. Sweating and panting like a bucking bull. he killed that hill!!!!!
After this last break of despair, we know that the last bit might be doable, but I know its still a bitch of a ride out. Gus tries to pry information from me and I DO mention that it is choppy but not anything like what he just did. OK, perhaps just not the steepness but still a gauntlet. Although Gus is worrying me, stopping frequently and putting his head down, panting. I just make sure he keeps panting and I become more thankful every 30 feet on our accent from hell! And I know that we are only a few hundred feet from the dirt road.
Gus and I buck and kick to the top and Magoo is suiting up. Bill is hiking BACK DOWN about a 15 minute steep as hell rocky walk to get the 650. He had some water and said he was ready (Bill seemed to be in better shape than us). Gus and Magoo take off to the pavement…about 1.5 miles I think. I leave and then Bill gears up and takes off.
Meet Washington Co. finest at the intersection. I hope that I don’t have to show my license because I have not got the ‘M’ on my card (still after 6k miles). In know. shut up.
Free at last. Sundown ride back to WR.
That’s all for now…..

MountainMoto screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 09:00 PM
MountainMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon43 View Post
The pictures:

I have my response down pat. I sit on the bike with my head on the useless junk ( GPS etc. ) on my front bar and pant. I get reall good at this......

Scouts out.
Scouts in.
They don't even bother to lie.
It's going get worse & no end in sight.

Adventure, terror in retrospect...

MountainMoto screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
A big thank you to Toyman and MossyCreek and anyone else that had a part in putting this together. This was my first time to come to SLAP and I had a great time. I arrived Friday morning around 10:30 or so and the place was empty except for MossyCreek. Everyone else was out riding already.

It wasn't long though before folks started showing up. I joined up with Scotty, Farscape and a couple of others ( sorry but I can't remember names for crap!) that afternoon and we rode over to Turners Bend for an awesome sandwich. Unfortunately I didn't get photo's worth showing on that ride but I had fun all the same. Saturday's ride was awesome too! There were two things I wanted to do at SLAP. One was to ride Warloop and Pannell roads and the other was to go to Oark to eat. I didn't get to Oark but I did ride Warloop and Pannell. Wow! that was fun! Now I know why Doc says they aren't "big bike" friendly. Pannell tried real hard to kick my butt. I dropped my big ole heavy 800 twice mainly because of short leg syndrome but I was also worn out from riding back up it. I was with Elvis, Farscape, Venduroman,and Nate. These guys were awesome to ride with and are all very good riders. Elvis rides like a bat out of Joplin! I didn't get a lot of pictures of the ride but I'll share the one's I took.

This is at the bottom of the hill on Warloop.

I wish I could have gotten pictures of the good stuff but its kind of hard to take pics when you're white knuckling it down the hill.
Then we hit Pannell.

Farscape sizing up the drop off.

Farscape and Venduroman ain't skeert! The rest of us went around to the right. That drop is deeper than it looks in the picture.

We made our way down to Natural dam and had lunch. Pretty darn good burger there!
Look at Elvis drooling over my burger!

Our pretty waitress.

Here are a few pics of Natural dam. Like you guys haven't seen it in person at least a thousand times!

Someone crossed Lee creek! Hmmm, let me see that looks like all of the guys that I was riding with and this picture came from my camera so I guess it must have been me! Ride it like you stole it fellas!

From there we headed back up Pannell where I was humbled by the beast and then on back to White Rock. We got withing a couple of miles from the lodge and I saw a red truck coming down the road towards me and the driver had his arm out of the window waving me down. I stopped and it was catfish. He said Gus and Tim were in trouble and need our help. I went and got Elvis (he was already at the lodge sipping a latte) and we headed back down to where Catfish said he was to meet up with search and rescue. We got there and there and sure enough! It look like they had called out the cavalry. Rescue trucks, ambulance, four wheelers etc. I got a few pics of that but the picture i didn't get was of Catfish riding two up with one of the SAR guys. I'm not sure but they seemed to be cuddling just a bit!

While Catfish was down in the valley spooning with the SAR guy I stayed up at the top with the honey's!
Just kiddin Catfish!

Oh and did I mention, they even had a chopper on standby!

This morning I saw the search and rescue "clean up crew" still out looking for them. I guess they thought Gus and Tim were still in the woods.

I'm glad everything turned out good for Gus, Tim and crew. I would hate to see anyone get seriously hurt out there.
Again I had a great time and can hardly wait for next year.

Oh wait! I can't forget about Nooner's flats. Yes, flats as in two of them!

Here is a link to all of the pictures I took.
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...2/Slap%202012/

Copperjohn1962 screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 08:25 PM
Copperjohn1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #35
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,818
Ahhhh!

ok, after reading that Mountain moto, I now sort of understand.

hahahaha

Glad everyone was ok, and hope to hear the stories from Magoo on Wed, if he can hobble to the bar.

mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,709
Albie: You're right, if I had a KTM I wouldn't have had any trouble. It would have fallen apart on Bidville Road before we turned off.

I'm still loading pictures (turns out I had my helmet cam set to take shots every 15 seconds) for most of the "ride", so I have a lot to pick through.

It will be hard to top the great reports from Gus and Terry, but I have a couple of "in flight" shots like this one that make me hurt just to look at! I am getting ready to land in that poison ivy!

As I told Toyman at the very top of the first slope "This is beyond my ability". What my dumb-ass didn't do was turn around. The biggest mistake is riding over your head, and I made that mistake. All told, I went down 11 times, but my bike went down 12 times (hmmm...??).

I quite literally owe my life to Gus, who kept ignoring me when I said I was fine, to Scott (MountainMoto), who is a newer rider than I but zoomed up and down the the worst slopes at the end and brought me the water that got my ticker beating normally finally, to Terry who exclaimed "I had the camera in multimode, I got really good shots of that!!" as I lay in a heap after fall #1, but got out and made sure we would not be alone down there, and to Bill who took my man card and rode my bike up one stretch after fall #10 (the next-to-last), but then rode ferry-style 2 bikes virtually all the way up from Frog Bayou Falls.

Other than the launching Terry documented (yes, I grabbed throttle as the front wheel hit a rock hard), all my falls were slow and I didn't get a bruise from them. The final fall was a slow-tip over that I tried to stop, but there was no ground for my leg and I stretched to thin air, then over-stretched the hammie. I rolled about 20 feet down below the bike, but the only damage was a ripped hammie. I won't be down anything like that again!

I had a full camelbak when I left the lodge, but had drained it by the time we made the Falls. One thing I gotta have is plenty of water to keep the ticker in time, but that wasn't to be. I guess the fortunate thing is that I really don't remember much of the climb out, keeping my head down to avoid seeing how steep or rough it my be in front of me. I kept holding my cell phone in the air hoping for a signal. I finally got one and was able to send out GPS coordinates to Mrs. Magoo, Doc and Charlie. I really don't know why them, but hey, it seemed like a good idea to send them somewhere!

Ouchie. Yes, Tinks, that is one ugly leg!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 08:57 PM
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Nah leave it. I will address where I come from. I come from 6 years EMS experience as helicopter pilot, been to many seens not unlike that one. I can tell you the last thing the PROS want is another AMATUER running down in there and adding to the body count. I really should of just said that before I even started but felt I would go look at it.

Ask Travis, a PRO, he will tell you the same thing. Once the PROS get there, get out of their way unless asked by them to perform a specific task, i.e. go with us and lead us to the scene, or here bag this guy, etc. etc.

Enough said on it.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Damn Magoo that leg got to hurt. Glad you guys got out.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
IF you are so inclined to visit Frog Bayou.
Here is the tracks I recorded of it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=18728722
I am inclined. Thanks for posting it. I attempted to head over there Thursday afternoon by myself. Oddly (and thankfully? ... since I was solo), I couldn't find it.

Sounds like an epic ride. Everyone made it out so it ended well.

On a lighter note, when I scroll the mouse down rapidly through the stop-motion pics, it makes Gus look like a fast rider.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Nah leave it. I will address where I come from. I come from 6 years EMS experience as helicopter pilot, been to many seens not unlike that one. I can tell you the last thing the PROS want is another AMATUER running down in there and adding to the body count. I really should of just said that before I even started but felt I would go look at it.

Ask Travis, a PRO, he will tell you the same thing. Once the PROS get there, get out of their way unless asked by them to perform a specific task, i.e. go with us and lead us to the scene, or here bag this guy, etc. etc.

Enough said on it.

I will apologize. I guess I underestimated your abilities I thought you was at least a B level rider. (Hare Scramble) All that was not chore for one of that level.

On a different note:
I had over 200 pictures alot of them was in multi-shot mode so I didn't post them your welcome to cycle through them if your bored.

Slap 2012

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #41
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo;18731171

Ouchie. Yes, Tinks, that is one ugly leg!

[IMG
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mfmdev.jpg[/IMG]
WOW !!!!

I did not see this..... Ouch, just hurts to look at it. Owie, owie, owie.....

That is a first class bruise.... I do not see how you fought your way up that mountain... I would have just sat down & cried....

We might be a little worse for the wear but we all got out with a full team effort. I'll ride with any of you guys any time. Might be a bit more picky about where in the future...... Bawahahaha

:::: Good judgement is developed by surviving your bad judgement. :::::

Boy, am I getting a lot of good judgement lately ......
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #42
TAPnTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Post your SLAP ride reports here..so far, so good, sorta..some injuries, but mostly fun..

Dude, I think you are paying the nail salon for something else.

This little Piggy........

Todd

09 Kawasaki Versys
TAPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #43
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
CopperJohn I didn't know about the Chopper, but we did discuss if a chopper could land in creek bed above the falls. I was skeptical to be honest but they seemed to think it could be done, but it would be tight.

All in all the EMTs actually enjoyed their own adventure and was talking about coming backto the spot with atvs and camping.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #44
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,818
ok, so who called the rescue teams?

and did they actually help?

I guess im a bit confused still about how this whole thing played out
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Albie: You're right, if I had a KTM I wouldn't have had any trouble. It would have fallen apart on Bidville Road before we turned off.

HOW did you walk out of that, with that?!?!?! I thought it was your hamestring when you said it was super sharp pains. I ripped mine once and laid down immediately .

Geeesh. Go slow on the rehab it will take some time to heal.