MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
ok, so who called the rescue teams?

and did they actually help?

I guess im a bit confused still about how this whole thing played out
ZeCat called when he got out but apparently there was some jurisdictional issues on search and rescue; never be stuck near a county line!!!! They setup up the rescue at the entrance, we were marching towards the exit. We rode from 10ish to 5ish on that stretch. Not sure when search and rescue got there and set up the party. No party where we finally surfaced. At some point the search was called off...but don't know about all those details.
MountainMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #47
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,365
I'm on a zen kick today, so here goes. All aspects have a positive twist.

We all got slapped in some way or another. Some got lost, injured, etc. The worst of us didn't get to attend, so be thankful that you got to SLAP at all.

My trek to WRM wasn't without difficulty. I seemed to be on the bad side of karma from the beginning. Knowing that the south approach (from Shores Lake) was closed, I planned my route in from the West. After a few detours (damn lying GPS), I was on Hurricane Creek Road. Poor choice for my 2wd vintage F150 with bald tires pulling a trailer. Traction was shit. This is why.

In a twist of fate, as I shut off the truck to get out to check the tires, this happened:

Fortunately, I have plenty of water. And while I wait for the motor to cool, I have something to keep me busy - the tire.

Got the spare swapped-in, bled the steam out of the cooling system, and re-filled it with cold, crisp fluid. I gingerly continued the remaining 3 miles to WRM Lodge.

Got the bike unloaded and since the area was only sparsely occupied by the NWA folks, I took off on a short ride. I aimed to head up to Frog Bayou, but all the GPS tracks I pre-loaded from the SLAP-Trax thread seemed to give me issue. Still don't know why. On the positive side, reports of the conditions at Frog Bayou might have made my short ride a bit too interesting.

As I neared WRM, I crossed a creek and spied a 2-track trail that enticed me to enter. It was a fun little detour which crossed the creek several times, had some challenging terrain, etc. I still had my highway gearing and bald D606 on the bike, so I wasn't looking for singletrack just yet. I even stopped to snap a few pics.

Life was good. Maybe too calm...

Managed to wash out the rear end while ascending a short rocky climb and dropped the bike on its left side. No big deal. Happens all the time. Wait... there is a pee stream of coolant shooting out of my radiator. Damn. Time to extract. Fortunately, I wasn't too far from the road. I was sure that these 2-tracks would lead back to where I needed to be to reach the lodge. So I started hauling ass. I made a few wise choices at some splits and eventually hit the road and back to WRM. Along the way, I managed to biff pretty nicely while negotiating a double-log obstacle at speed in 2nd gear. Brushed it off though.

Started tearing down the bike. Is this fixable? YES IT IS! I have the time, tools, and skills. No big deal. The methods were a bit odd, maybe.

The bracket holding the rock guard on the radiator got bent inward. The screw punctured the radiator.

I removed the now-dry radiator, washed it in the lodge kitchen sink and put it in the oven at 250 deg for a half hour to dry so I could patch it with JB Quik.

Worked like a dream.

That was Thursday...

DirtyDog screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 09:36 PM
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #48
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post

As I told Toyman at the very top of the first slope "This is beyond my ability". What my dumb-ass didn't do was turn around. The biggest mistake is riding over your head, and I made that mistake. All told, I went down 11 times, but my bike went down 12 times (hmmm...??).
Hell, if I had a nickle for everytime I got in over my head I'd be a rich man. Surely nothing to beat yourself up over and definitely no reason not to get back out on the bike once you're healed up. Hell at least you have an excuse for your injury, I busted up my foot on the easy kind of stuff I've been up and down a ton.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #49
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post

Broken or not...them's some ugly feet.
You know what they say, ugly feet, ugly............. uh wait, maybe that isn't what they say.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #50
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
ok, so who called the rescue teams?
and did they actually help?

I guess im a bit confused still about how this whole thing played out
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMoto View Post
At some point the search was called off...but don't know about all those details.
I believe we were at the falls about 1pm, so my final crash was at about 1:15ish. I got enough service at 3:30p to send out a text to my wife that I was walking out (turns out I was probably 1/4 mile from the top then). Shortly after that I got a hold of her by phone who then talked with search and rescue to get them to call it off. I talked to them later and they had to verify we were OK, so they wanted to eyeball us. They wanted us to ride around to Bidville and Hurricane creek intersection...I said NO WAY. Once Wash Co. sherriff's showed (5:15), they were nice and had cold water, and didn't check Scott's MC endorsement.

Albie, I'll ride again. I ripped the other hammie on my Harley at a stop sign about 2 years ago. A month without bikes, I bet , but I don't think this is as bad as the last one. Blood thinners make the bruising from the tear show up fast. Gus' comment was right, I survived bad judgement. Hopefully I learn from stupid mistakes, and that was a dilly. I'll remember this every time I think about stepping out beyond my ability. Maybe act on it too!

I now can verify the iPhone GPS and "Life 360" functions don't work without minimal cell service on my iPhone 4, though!
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #51
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Nah leave it. I will address where I come from. I come from 6 years EMS experience as helicopter pilot, been to many seens not unlike that one. I can tell you the last thing the PROS want is another AMATUER running down in there and adding to the body count. I really should of just said that before I even started but felt I would go look at it.

Ask Travis, a PRO, he will tell you the same thing. Once the PROS get there, get out of their way unless asked by them to perform a specific task, i.e. go with us and lead us to the scene, or here bag this guy, etc. etc.

Enough said on it.

I agree! I'm not sure why Catfish seems to be busting your balls on your decision to turn around. You had no idea of knowing which direction they took at each turn, it was getting late, and you would have been the last one out of there. You at the very least needed anoother rider with you.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #52
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I will apologize. I guess I underestimated your abilities I thought you was at least a B level rider. (Hare Scramble) All that was not chore for one of that level.

What the heck does his riding abilities have to do with not knowing what direction all the guys took? I dont care if he was a AA rider, it was late, he had been riding all day and was probably spent. I'm not sure I would have ridden in there alone to find them that late in the day.

Lets not start a bash fest on silly things. Sounds like a f'ed up day. Simple as that.

tcourdin screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 10:33 AM
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #53
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Albie come back up on the 450 and I'll take you riding on the GOOD trails. The blue loop sucks. Hope you heal up soon. Foot injuries blow!

Magoo, I have to be honest...I was thinking you probably werent hurt as bad as you made out..but holy crap! That must have been VERY painful. I hope you get well soon buddy. I hope your spanking new bike didnt get too scratched up.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Albie come back up on the 450 and I'll take you riding on the GOOD trails. The blue loop sucks. Hope you heal up soon. Foot injuries blow!
Sweet! I was gonna ask you about showing me around the single track out there. It's been a while since I've ridden that bike, almost forgot how much fun it is to ride a light, and powerful bike. I was having an awesome time right up until that rock jumped out of the brush and hit me.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #55
MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

I was truly inspired by the toughness of everyone "in the hole." Gus and Magoo were my biggest worries and I still don't know how tough-as* Magoo got out of there with a torn hamstring walking throught that mess. Watching ZeCat chunk rocks and repeat scream..."this sh*t has CEASED to be fun" was priceless. Bills unwavering march on was impressive. Gus's sheer guts and "we just gotta do it" comments was what I NEEDED to hear. This one is burned in my memory...in a GOOD way!!!! Thanks for a memorable SLAP to everyone!!!

I forgot to add too that Magoos breakfast probably save me, without lunch and not a drop of trail snackage.

SATAN SANTA

Enough about our messd-up ADV, let's hear about some other rides!!! and photos!

(((((My next ride I will have full gear and camera in tow)))))
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #56
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

What a great weekend of riding! RJHarris and Jeffroh drove down from STL thursday eve and crashed at my house, then we drug the camper to the Razorback Riders and stayed there the weekend. Bigassrider showed up and was camping there also, and he brought Mountainmoto with him.

Jeffroh ready to roll Fri morning.

I took them to the lookout at Fly Gap on our way to Oark. Ray said hiking sucks!

Cute couple dont you think?

It's not a ride if you dont end up at Oark!

I think Ray was telling a story, and Jeffroh was getting tired of it.

Best burger EVER.

Mountainmoto and crew. He looks happier and more well fed with us than he would the next day with Gus.

Swinging bridge dog.

We took a trail near Redding, I think it crosses Mulberry and ends up over near 23? It had big rocks and they were as slick as Docs sex lube! Jeffroh, Ray and I got across...Larry was coming on the Vstrom but decided to take a swim first. While he was swimming we found a tree across the road and it was impassible, so we had to go back across. Larry decided he had swam enough and came with us.

Scott and I helped by taking photos. Sorry Larry! I eventually got in the water with Scott and we gave a push.

Hydrating at Turners Bend.

Ray overfiller the Berg with fuel so it was taking a leak. Scott helped by laughing and I helped by taking pics.

W Rock.

Hey Doc!

The Fish!

Larrys brand spankin new V Strom skidplate.

"Hop Sing" Getting ready to pull out the Wok and prepare some fried rice. Sorry Ray...I couldnt resist!

Riding back to camp at dusk.

The camp was all ours, except for our neighbor Larry down the way.

Larry got cold and warmed himself by our citronella candle. Notice his Alpine Star fashion wear slippers.

Kris showed up early sunday and rode too.

Larry decided to leave the Vstrom at camp and ride a bike with a bit more ground clearance.

Brekkie.

Larry wa not comfortable when Jeffroh was playing with his rear end.

Natural Dam here we come.

We round a corner and find Gus and crew talking to some guys on horses! We say we are going to Natural Dam, Gus laughs and says "we are taking a scenic ride and will be back at camp at 11am"..........Jeffroh named the trail Satan Santa trail. This was the last known photo of Gus...almost.

Heres Scotty. He also said he was going for a short ride with Gus and did not want to go eat cheesburgers and drink cold pop with us..............

I gotta get me a "hop sing" or Richard Simmons headband! Those STL guys know their fashion wear!

Natural Dam was packed.

Heres the crossing near Pannel. I hear CopperJohn braved the waters too.

Leaving Devils Den heading to Winslow for go-go juice.

Cool old dude was at the gas station with this ride. Jeffroh wanted to drive it.

Ray admiring the work.

I dont recall this guys name....

While we were at WR, Look who showed up from the abyss of Satan Santa trail! They lived!!! They were dirty, smelly, bruised and bleeding but they made it home.

Jeffroh showed me Rays Husaberg man purse the next morning. Man those guys know how to roll!

tcourdin screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 09:46 AM
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #57
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Great RR and captioning there Ted! I have to admit it was entertaining. A fella has to be ready to take some ridiculin when riding with you I see. Pretty funny stuff. You were in good company. RJ and I rode together one day at the AR500. I have never met Jeffroh but he looks like the life of the party.

I see the Lee Creek crossing is down quite a bit from when we came up on it on the AR500 ride. Still looked pretty deep where you all crossed it. Our group opted to reroute and not cross although one of our party rode down the creek a ways and crossed. He had to come back again cause noone else was of a mind to give it a go.

I opted to forego SLAP this year getting ready to leave for Colorado and Utah this coming Saturday. Looked like you all.....err most of you all had fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post

Great report and pics there CJ! You Da Man! Warloop, Pannell Road and Lee Creek all in one day. You are one up on me now cause I have never crossed Lee Creek there. I don't know why, you know how I love the water.

Was that Hulk Hogan there with you? Oh, that must have been Vindouroman!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 11:00 AM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #58
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,664
Super report, Ted...looked like a great trip. The car(?) looks like it should be set up as a side show of one.

Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #59
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,838
Great report guys.....
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
MountainMoto
Ain't Life Grand

Nice reports and pics John and Ted. Makes me want to ride again right now. ...and get a camera, and armor.

If I had not chosen to hurt myself each day it would have been good to hang out a night at Razorback camp. Magoos/Gus couch was comfy!!! RJ and Jeffro make it back down for some riding and moonshine that I missed! I should have hit it harder (what was I thinking), but friday I was nursing a monster hangover....that and the Oark texas cheeseburger led to my granma like driving and dump in the turn.....so I looked forward to easy ride on sat (man how I wish I would have taken y'all up on the Nat'rl Dam ride). NOT. Y'alls ride looked like a blast. Jeffro your nuts. I mean Jeffroh you're nuts. We know you and ray spooned after the WR vista and Cherry Bomb. hehehe.

MountainMoto screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 02:51 PM