Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I was suffering the same 'problem'. I rode the super ten, and its a great bike, but too vanila for me. I used to own a KTM950 and loved it so the new 990 was definately on the cards, but it is very expensive out here, and I need to commute in heavy traffic in heat and 90% humidity every day, and the big KTM, well..its too big, too expensive and runs too hot (though I likely would have gone that route if the cost was in the ball park)

So I bought the Tiger 800 XC, pick it up this coming weekend! Cheaper, smaller and a triple (my 4th Triumph!)...love the smooth triple engine...hope the rest ofthe bike lives up to expectations.

Its a great dilema to have, good luck!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,939
I agree, I need to test ride the Tiger and the S10. I have ridden friends 950s and 990 in the past. I really like teh KTM but I already have a YZ450F for real dirt ridding so.......

I will try to find a place to take some test rides asap. I appreciate everyones help. The problem I have is really with the wife. I have always bought bikes in the past with no intent on keeping them long. I changed bikes often, too often according to the wife. After years of this my wife is dropping the hammer. This wil be a bike that I will be "stuck with" for many years. I think that is the reason I am boing so cautious.

Anyone in Cali know of a Triumph or Yamaha dealer who allows test rides without having to give blood ?

Yeah, BertsMega Mall is a great place to check everything out in one day and then go buy somewhere else...
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
Anyone in Cali know of a Triumph or Yamaha dealer who allows test rides without having to give blood ?
i do beleive triumph of newport beach is pretty mellow on what they require for test rides. also, sometimes you can find "open house" days at the dealerships where they offer test rides.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Well, how about making the choice a little wider? If you're looking at a litre-plus shaft-drive twin-cylinder ADV bike, there is a fourth alternative: Guzzi Stelvio.
And no, I don't own one, and probably won't - while I'm a die-hard Guzzi fan, I'm very content with what I've got - and it's not a BMW, KTM, Yamaha or Triumph either!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #20
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
I
The problem I have is really with the wife. I have always bought bikes in the past with no intent on keeping them long. I changed bikes often, too often according to the wife. After years of this my wife is dropping the hammer. This wil be a bike that I will be "stuck with" for many years. I think that is the reason I am boing so cautious.
I was given the same sort of ultimatum. So I bought the Tenere. Still lust after a 990 Adventure, but the reality is that if I have to keep it for a while and live with it long-term, the Yamaha is a much better choice. It's very good at many things, and like many have said, surprisingly good on dirt. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything on the street, like I would with the KTM. The Tenere is surprisingly deceptive though; it's very low-key when you first ride it, sort of underwhelming. The capabilities start to show after putting some miles on it and loosening things up a bit. As many have said, it gets better with use. If I had test-ridden one before I bought it, (I did not) I would not have been overly impressed.
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
based on input either here or on the tenere forum I was told to test ride it in S with traction control turned off

2nd stop light i took off and did a wheelie, that was all i needed to know i wasn't going to miss the torque of my Vic Hammer
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
...had the BMW Trumpy KTM Yammie...

I just sold my 6th Triumph

I just sold my 7th BMW

I sold my KTM Adventure 4 yrs ago

I only have my Yamaha Supa10 in the garage now.

I don't need anything else - this does it all....very VERY happy.

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,939
I find it very suprising that the majority of responses are from S10 owners. Only 3 responses suggesting another bike. I have never really looked at the Guzzi, it really doesnt interest me. As soon as I get another day off of work I will have to try to find some bikes to test ride.

Is it just me or do those white S10s look bad ass !!???
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
I agree, I need to test ride the Tiger and the S10. I have ridden friends 950s and 990 in the past. I really like teh KTM but I already have a YZ450F for real dirt ridding so.......

I will try to find a place to take some test rides asap. I appreciate everyones help. The problem I have is really with the wife. I have always bought bikes in the past with no intent on keeping them long. I changed bikes often, too often according to the wife. After years of this my wife is dropping the hammer. This wil be a bike that I will be "stuck with" for many years. I think that is the reason I am boing so cautious.

Yeah, BertsMega Mall is a great place to check everything out in one day and then go buy somewhere else...
Hattar Moto in San Rafael is painless for Triumph/Ducati test rides, but it's probably at the opposite end of the state from you.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
I find it very suprising that the majority of responses are from S10 owners. Only 3 responses suggesting another bike. I have never really looked at the Guzzi, it really doesnt interest me. As soon as I get another day off of work I will have to try to find some bikes to test ride.

yeah the white ones are pretty sweet, and only sold out of the USA
Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Its true jap bikes are pretty hard to beat . Reliability engineering performance Its all there.
My Triumph 800xc seems to be built the same way . I love this bike for an allarounder.. Im not really a dirt guy though on a big bike.
My advise is dont be afraid to try Triumph if they have a model you like.
The tripple motor is so sweet!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:

Well in the last few days I've ridden both the S10 and the Stelvio - and I won't be buying either! Here's why
S10: competant at all things, very long & high; some bits LOOK vunerable - like the radiators & oil filter, but I have faith that the clever engineers & test riders thought about it too. However, the bike is bland with a huge B. It just does everything so well, it's as boring as batshit - it really is a two-wheeled Toyota. I asked the salesman if it came in yellow, because it's like custard - nice, but uninspiring. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I have a latent masochism that requires more "character"; whatever, my ride-on mower has more soul.
Stelvio: Not as big, tall or heavy-feeling, but still a large motorcycle. The luggagee system is ridiculous: to accomodate a fatty exhaust, the left pannier sits way out - and so does the right one, with inches of empty air between box & bike, making the bike 4 inches wider than the already wide bars. I can forgive a Guzzi many things but I didn't need to, as this one had a slick gearbox, mega-good brakes, lots of power across the entire range (you could stay in second, third or fourth only, from stop-lights to freeway) , clear instruments (the S10's are too small and too far away!), but the vibration through the bars was simply unacceptable - maybe tuning, but it's the demonstrator - should represent the bike as good as it can be.
Also, in this country, the Stelvio NTX is only available in flat black primer, no colour, and the same bike that sells for $16k in the US is $25k here.
Frankly, neither bike is better enough than what we have now (wife & I each have an Aprilia Caponord) to consider stumping up the extra money.
YMMV.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Well in the last few days I've ridden both the S10 and the Stelvio - and I won't be buying either! Here's why
S10: competant at all things, Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I have a latent masochism that requires more "character"; whatever, my ride-on mower has more soul.
Looks like you are a ride on lawnmower kind of guy

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Looks like you are a ride on lawnmower kind of guy
Must be a Honda mower. Mine's kinda bland too.

pluric screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 04:25 PM
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
If you're going to ride mostly on-road and want a touring capable upright, then have a look at the Ducati Multistrada STANDARD wABS if you don't like DES that comes on the Sport. Hell, don't just look at it, RIDE it after you do the others and then get back to us.

Good luck with the hunt,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote