Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
gigeorge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
How come you lot in the US find it so hard to get a test ride?

Im going to test a MultiStrada this weekend but see myself getting a KTM SMT instead.. As lovely as the Multistrada is, its very expensive and i dont think id want to take it offroad !!!
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #32
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigeorge View Post
How come you lot in the US find it so hard to get a test ride?

Im going to test a MultiStrada this weekend but see myself getting a KTM SMT instead.. As lovely as the Multistrada is, its very expensive and i dont think id want to take it offroad !!!
Because we have become a litigious society that would sue over the dealer not having
the mirrors adjusted right causing emotional distress.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #33
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Because we have become a litigious society that would sue over the dealer not having
Can't you start a class action against dealers not allowing test rides and thereby inducing purchase stress?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
Most are going to chime in with exultation about the bike they currently own. I'll try and avoid that, but at the same time I've got to tell you the Tenere is a nice bike in the twisties, on the dirt, and on the slab... Best all-around bike I've ever owned. ..................................
snerk.....

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
gigeorge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I feel for you !
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
I've ridden the Triumph, the ducati, the BMW that you didn't ride, and the new Strom. I'm a street rider so that's where my bias is.

I liked the Ducati the best, but I would buy the new strom if I was buying. Half the price, half the headaches, 90% of the fun. The european reviews on the new strom have been glowing, it's no longer just the cheap option like mine :)
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #37
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Can't you start a class action against dealers not allowing test rides and thereby inducing purchase stress?
My point exactly. Don't tell me the Aussie's have discovered attorneys. We're all doomed.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
I've ridden the Triumph, the ducati, the BMW that you didn't ride, and the new Strom. I'm a street rider so that's where my bias is.

I liked the Ducati the best, but I would buy the new strom if I was buying. Half the price, half the headaches, 90% of the fun. The european reviews on the new strom have been glowing, it's no longer just the cheap option like mine :)
I have ridden the BMW and now the Ducati. I have nothing against the BMW, I love that bike. The Duc would be a great street bike but like I said before too many gadgets for meand too street oriented. I looked at the Strom, but not seriously. Just a passing glance however, I did see the price ! I dont mind spening up to 18K for a new bike so the price isnt a big issue. Still looking for a Ymaha and Triumph dealer to do test rides....WTF california!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will just go to Nevada to get a test ride !!
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
barbatus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
800 gs?

might be late to chip in here - but did you ride the 800GS? the 1200GS was way too big for me as I do some commuting and splitting lanes on this pig would be insane - I also rode the KTM990 ADV and it was what I was originally going to get but I do about 30% dirt ridding and didn't want to be one of those hummer drivers that doesn't really get their cars dirty.

Did not look at the jap bikes because NONE of the dealers in the bay area would let me ride one and the other one I looked at was the triumph which was nice but I already have a British bike (73 Norton Commando) which I love and will never sell but does my head in sometimes. The Ducati is like a really nice horse.. you want to pat it, feed it apples, listen to it but never get it dirty.

My 2 cents - ohh and yes, its true all GS riders have white wine in their hydration packs and carry cheese and crackers in their tire repair kits. Not a totaly bad thing
barbatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #40
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
I have ridden the BMW and now the Ducati. I have nothing against the BMW, I love that bike. The Duc would be a great street bike but like I said before too many gadgets for meand too street oriented. I looked at the Strom, but not seriously. Just a passing glance however, I did see the price ! I dont mind spening up to 18K for a new bike so the price isnt a big issue. Still looking for a Ymaha and Triumph dealer to do test rides....WTF california!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will just go to Nevada to get a test ride !!
Yamaha's Demo Website:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/de...otorcycles|||y

I was in Newport Beach last weekend, when I passed Malcom Smith's the Yamaha semi was there with demo bikes...I'll admit that I ordered my ST before I had seen it in person or rode it, but based on everything I read here (especially from Wasp) and my previous experience with Yamaha, I have no regrets whatsoever.

If you have time, Yamaha usually runs demos at the Cycle World show...of course, that's in early December...
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #41
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I almost always buy based on what bike will need the least amount of work to make it what i want it to be, since none of the manufacturers will build my bike at my price lol.

But I'm the type that can look at anything and find 100 things I would do differently or better, for instance being able to adjust my shock without having to remove it from my xr650l haha.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
other one I looked at was the triumph which was nice but I already have a British bike (73 Norton Commando) which I love and will never sell but does my head in sometimes.
You know Triumph's have come a long way since your '73 Norton was made! They are purty darn reliable these days...
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #43
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,968
Have any of you S10 guys had the vibration problem Roger J was complaining about?
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #44
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 334
Two bikes would be in my sights:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré

Guzzi would be my first choice because it's nearly everything my Buell Ulysses is and is still in production.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #45
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeepS View Post
Two bikes would be in my sights:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré

Guzzi would be my first choice because it's nearly everything my Buell Ulysses is and is still in production.
must admit , more and more im liking the Stelvio , ive never owned a Guzzi and they seem tio have that certain something about them

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote