ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
JINXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If I was wanting to take the most leisurely way to get to the falls, which way would you guys suggest?
JINXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JINXR View Post
If I was wanting to take the most leisurely way to get to the falls, which way would you guys suggest?
A helicopter.

Seriously. However, if you are very confident in your off-road riding (and not on a monster bike), it seems Earlevet has the 'best' route in and out. People have run it both directions (E-W or W-E). One entrance/exit is off of Winfrey Valley on the west side. The other is out to the east on Mountain Crest Road, FS 124. Do NOT be tempted to "jump down there" off of Bidville Road or from Temple Hill Cemetery, which are both more direct (and vertical).

You can get the trax and image on this single post: HERE

I like the old Roads and Rec map better:
SmugMug Rocks!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 11:23 AM
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
A helicopter.

Seriously. However, if you are very confident in your off-road riding (and not on a monster bike), it seems Earlevet has the 'best' route in and out. People have run it both directions (E-W or W-E). One entrance/exit is off of Winfrey Valley on the west side. The other is out to the east on Mountain Crest Road, FS 124. Do NOT be tempted to "jump down there" off of Bidville Road or from Temple Hill Cemetery, which are both more direct (and vertical).

Thanks! I have been working on these tracks.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
JINXR
Adventurer

Quote:
A helicopter.

Thanks!

I'll probably be on a 4 wheeler and I've gone through some really nasty stuff before so it takes a lot to freak me out. But the guest on the back might not agree.

Where you have the red Exit arrow I think is the way my dad took me down there 20 years ago. My grandfather actually owns a lot of land in that map you posted so I'm very familiar with the area, but it's been a long time since I've been on the trails.

Could make a good loop though using your enter and exit points. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Quote:
Thanks!

I'll probably be on a 4 wheeler and I've gone through some really nasty stuff before so it takes a lot to freak me out. But the guest on the back might not agree.

Where you have the red Exit arrow I think is the way my dad took me down there 20 years ago. My grandfather actually owns a lot of land in that map you posted so I'm very familiar with the area, but it's been a long time since I've been on the trails.

Could make a good loop though using your enter and exit points. Thanks again.
Well, if you want really gnarly, you can go in and out the way we did last year at SLAP. See Zecatfish's first post in this thread: Here
We came in from the south, and after crossing Frog Bayou at the Falls, we headed north and exited near Temple Hill Cemetery. I decided to walk out instead of ride from near the falls, partly because Toyman said he always wanted to ride two bikes at once, so I let him.

Be warned, though, Washington County SAR was unwilling to risk their ATV's to take this route. However, Madison and Crawford counties navigated the route down from Bidville Road on Gators. Besides, crossing the Bayou at the Falls may not be possible if the water is up.
SmugMug Rocks!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,348
Last year a group of GS Giants rode down to Frog Bayou on their big pigs. It was in the middle of summer and 100+ degrees. They all made it but were exhausted when they got back to camp.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
Last year a group of GS Giants rode down to Frog Bayou on their big pigs. It was in the middle of summer and 100+ degrees. They all made it but were exhausted when they got back to camp.
Indeed!....but I am not sure 5 guys pushing the GS's up a hill is Jinxer's definition of a leisurely ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
That's OK, Eddie... we'll keep the fire lit.

Here's the video proof, big pigs can ride the Frog Bayou (and thank Dog it hadn't rained)...

SmugMug Rocks!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #23
JINXR
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
This is the track down through the Bottoms where we had some issues at SLAP. It is not for the Timid its a tough ride to get back out.....
Alot of the trails was actually destroyed by a flash flood several years ago.
It has Rocks, logs, low trees, and more rocks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Heres the same track USGS Topo

How bad is the trail going south from the falls to Bidville?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #24
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,771
Quote:
not bad if you're on a 250
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Quote:
It is essentially a horse trail, and fairly steep in sections. Not bad going down. We didn't come out that way because it was tough going up. In hindsight, that would have been better. BY FAR the ride in from the east is a lot better. If you are still wanting to do it on an ATV, that is doable, as SAR went in and out that way (although Wash Co SAR wouldn't go down).
SmugMug Rocks!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
JINXR
Adventurer

Quote:
It is essentially a horse trail, and fairly steep in sections. Not bad going down. We didn't come out that way because it was tough going up. In hindsight, that would have been better. BY FAR the ride in from the east is a lot better. If you are still wanting to do it on an ATV, that is doable, as SAR went in and out that way (although Wash Co SAR wouldn't go down).
So maybe I should go down at Bidville and come out on the east side? I'll be on a 4x4 four wheeler.

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to have to backtrack a lot.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Quote:
So maybe I should go down at Bidville and come out on the east side? I'll be on a 4x4 four wheeler.

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to have to backtrack a lot.
No problem. That would be my choice. On the east route out you'll have 2 washed out culverts to go through, but should be cake on the 4x4. The road down is narrow in spots, but others have gone down in ATV's.

When you go down off of Bidville Rd, after you go down the slope with the "whoops", the trail will fork, with the main road apparently going right (almost straight). You want to take the left (west) direction. It quickly doubles back to the southeast and heads right down. On the below, the red track is the WRONG one, as it is a long dead end (nice ride, but a dead end logging road).

SmugMug Rocks!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
JINXR
Adventurer

Quote:
No problem. That would be my choice. On the east route out you'll have 2 washed out culverts to go through, but should be cake on the 4x4. The road down is narrow in spots, but others have gone down in ATV's.

When you go down off of Bidville Rd, after you go down the slope with the "whoops", the trail will fork, with the main road apparently going right (almost straight). You want to take the left (west) direction. It quickly doubles back to the southeast and heads right down. On the below, the red track is the WRONG one, as it is a long dead end (nice ride, but a dead end logging road).

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
JINXR
Adventurer

Ride went really well. There were two big washouts coming in from the east. Looks like the forest service did a lot of work on them to help stop it. Very easy trail.

Coming up to Bidville south of the falls was a decent little trail, but no problem whatsoever on a four wheeler.

Thanks again for the input. Made for a nice day. Rode about 55 miles in all.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
If I wanted to go to this place, generally speaking, where the hell izzit?

Thanks.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote