Oddometer: 2,797
Jofa-

" but disatisfaction w the drivetrain drove me away from HD. "

what was it about the drivetrain?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Aside from my own personal HD bikes in the past, I've riden a road king for my PD for about 10 years now and while we take the bikes through extreme riding conditions that most people wont, we have always had issues with overheating, oil leaking, heads leaking, transmission issues etc.
I've had numerous contact burns and burned uniforms, but also 2nd degree radiant burns on my legs just from the extreme heat from the engine during parades, crowd issues etc. I've had RKs so overheated they just stop running. I've had RKs that struggled to pass a motorcade on the highway because the motorcade is going 75 and the bike maxed out at 95mph. I've also had RKs that blew oil out the air cleaner at high RPMs, because of issues w the heads and vacuum at high speed. I know that we are making these bikes do things most riders wont, & think its a great bike under normal easy-going conditions, but it is never fun in summer heat or stopped traffic.
At home, I currently ride a 'sport tourer' - the FJR, that is in no way as comfortable as the road king, but the FJR has zero heat issues - even in stopped highway traffic in 90 degree summer heat, and the FJR has stellar road handling. I can run it at any speed from the highway to the twisties and it never has an issue.
Jofa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
I know that we are making these bikes do things most riders wont, & think its a great bike under normal easy-going conditions, but it is never fun in summer heat or stopped traffic.
Riding my new to me '11 FLHP in Sunday's 80 degree heat in an hour stop-and-go traffic accident jam would lead me to agree with you.

Looks like she's gonna be a hot one once the 90 degree days come. Aaah the beauty of an air cooled bike.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
. I've also had RKs that blew oil out the air cleaner at high RPMs, because of issues w the heads and vacuum at high speed.
Oil coming thru the air cleaner is a sign that the oil tank has been over filled.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Have you thought about a riders backrest?
Folks on the HD forums say they really do the job.
+2 ..i have heard they greatly help the lower back and they don't look too bad either.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,015
I will admit - I recently test rode a Harley and my big take away was - I need 3 bikes in the garage. Two of which I already have.

Those being, the plated enduro, naked sport bike and last but not least - the Harley.

Hopefully there is a roadgide in my not distant future !
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #37
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I like the road king a lot, much to my surprise. A few years ago I rented a fat bob and tried a 500 mile day with a windshield and enjoyed the ride across and around california's central valley.
Then I saw the Dyna Switchback, read the reviews and wondered why i'd need 820 pounds when 700 might do.

I went o see the Switchback at Roanoke Valley HD where they were incredibly nice to me and my partner, offered a test ride and let us look in peace. I sat on the bike and felt amazingly comfortable. A test ride would be great but $17,000+ out the door gives me heartburn. I hate the idea of a used HD as all owners seem to love to mess with bikes adding chrome horrendous pipes and engine mods. So a used road king not only would be heavy but would be modified from factory reliable.

Quandary.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #38
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
On the 88-inchers there are real power gains to be had with mild hop-up parts, most of which can be dealer installed.
I have the H-D Screamin Eagle big bore 95-inch cylinders and pistons, mild Andrews gear-drive cams, Mikuni 42 with K&N filter, and V&H slip-on mufflers on mine. Makes a very torquey and enjoyable package. 72K miles on these mods with no problems whatsoever.
84K miles on the bike. It's a keeper.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #39
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,015
how big of a performance difference between the 96 and 103 motors?
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
To the OP - if budget is a concern and you liked the 04, would suggest you look at 02's. Yes they will also need the cam chain tensioners either upgraded, replaced or swapped out to gear drive, but there are many options at many price points for that issue and once it is addressed the 88" motor is a good one.

The 02's you can get with a carb and the crank and crank bearing setup was stronger than the 03'-07 models, they have decent brakes, suspension and lots of parts from 99 to 07 will fit it.

If you search on hdforums you'l see there are several reasons why the 02's are the most prefered from that generation.

I went from an 89 E glide to an 11 Street Glide ( 103", 6 speed, Brembo ABS, electronic cruise control) love that bike ! Just did a 4 day run with a good friend, lots of miles and it was a pleasure to ride (fyi - also use an HD adjustable backrest, works great.).

Hope you find a good one and get out there !

Tundra - the power diff between the 96 and the 103 is really just a few more Lb's of torque to help when passing or accelerating.... it is nothing drastic.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
...(fyi - also use an HD adjustable backrest, works great.).
To 131unlimited:

Do you ever carry a passenger with that adjustable backrest? I was almost tempted to go for one, but I've read in the HDForums that it can be a little wide for the pillion's legs. There's a CVO back rest that's narrower but not adjustable.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
how big of a performance difference between the 96 and 103 motors?
About 9 bhp and ft.lbs. of torque.
Reviews say the big difference is better off the line and roll on performance.
Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

A fuel controller, cam, pipes and breather will get you another 30 of each fo about $2K
and really wake up the motor.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #43
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
About 9 bhp and ft.lbs. of torque.
Reviews say the big difference is better off the line and roll on performance.
Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

A fuel controller, cam, pipes and breather will get you another 30 of each fo about $2K
and really wake up the motor.

Just to add, a fuel controller, pipes and breather minus the cam will get you another 10 of each for about $1K

So stock 96" to stock 103" is about 8-10 points difference...... whereas stock 96" to 103" with fuel controller, pipes, and breather is about 20 points difference.

Of course most guys with 96" probably already have pipes, controller and breather so your back to only about a 8-10 point difference if comparing equally equipped engines.

I have a '12 Road Glide Custom and added the controller, breather and Supertrapp mufflers with FuelMoto 2-1-2 header that eliminates the catalytic converter and it is only slighlty louder than the stock mufflers. It runs much stronger than stock and is not as lean so heat is not an issue which can be as one increases the cubic inches, especially now with the catalytic conveters.

fwiw, I had an '06 88" carbed Street Glide with breather and a 2-1 pipe/muffler. It replaced an '02 FXST with a built 95" that started out as an 88"....it made 109 hp / 108 tq. The 103" Road Glide with the stage 1 mods is much closer in performance to the built 95" and I could add cams bolt-in cams to the 103" and get within 5 points of the 95" which had a lot of high dollar parts....easily over $3.5K

Point being the larger engine (103") can be made to produce similar power numbers as a built smaller motor with just a few mods and not a lot less $$.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #44
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Well,
Went to another dealership and rode both an '04 and an '06. The '04 was one of the worst bikes I have ridden. Terrible brakes, pulsing, weak pressure. Heavy vibrations throughout the rev range. Very wobbly. While it had low mileage it seems to have been badly maintained. Yuck, but it did look nice. And, they were more than willing to deal on it....not me.

The '06 was very nice. Handled pretty well. Brakes were great. Vibration could be tolerated. Seat was very cushy....not sure how it would be after a full day, but it was nice during my short ride. A bit pricy for my pocketbook, but they would've made a great deal (if I could've afforded it). All around good bike. No surprises.

Test rode a VStar 1100 paint shaker. What a terrible bike. Second VStar I have ridden...both were bad. Maybe it is just those two or maybe it is just the smaller engined variety, but I didn't like it at all. Very loud pipes, very wobbly front end (felt like I was going into a tank-slapper at moderate speeds), never smoothed out, uncomfortable, etc. Just not the ride for me at all.

Also rode a 2012 Ducati 848 Streetfighter....holy crap!!! Wow, that was amazing! Had the termi exhaust...nearly wet myself when they started it. Acceleration was amazing. Stability was amazing. Brakes were outstanding. I could ride that....but, my budget would never be able to deal with the strain of the tickets, loss of license, rear tires, maintenance, bail, etc. Whew! I had to run away from that before I sold my dog, my van, my truck, my mother-in-law, to get it. Totally impractical for my style of riding, but wow!

I rode nearly 2 hours to Athens to do the test rides. I was fairly comfortable on my bike. Then after all the testing I ate lunch and headed home. About 5 minutes into the return trip my back started hurting again....ugh! Still hurting hours, aspercreme, and a nap later. I think I am gonna have to make a change soon.

So far, the original '04 RK that I rode is the best of the bunch. I will probably go talk to them tomorrow and see what they can do. Don't know if it I'll pull the trigger or not, but I would like to see what they can do. I normally don't ride very far, during the school year...just to work and back, so it is not a desperate need, but I had been hoping to take a few long trips this summer....stay tuned.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Well....
So I went back to Augusta Harley-Davidson today spoke with Ray, again. Long story very short....traded Gixxer for '04 Road King. I got a great deal. They really did work with us.

So now, I am setting about to adjust it to me. I rode it for 30-40 miles today while they were making their offer to me and I had very little back pain. Most of the pain, I think, was left over from yesterday's long ride. The current seat is toast so they threw in a new one....haven't picked it out yet...but, I will soon.

Crappy Ipod photo: