Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
How often do you get stung by bees while riding?

I saw this mentioned in another thread and it got me thinking about weather I'm unlucky or everyone gets nailed often. I'm usually good for at least 4 or 5 stings a year.

I've had a few go up jacket sleeves and get me in the arm, a few go up my pant legs, one in the helmet. That was a good one, I was wearing a 3/4 helmet on the Road King and it hit just right, made it to my ear, then got me there. Sometimes they make it surprisingly far up the jacket sleeve before stinging, at least one got me in the armpit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Once when I was riding about 30 mph on my way to work, full face helmet with the visor flipped up. A bee managed to fly into my helmet and went straight between my face and the helmet. Ended up stinging me on the back of my ear. I'm not sure if I even I had the bike stopped before I got that helmet off.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Hasnt happened in 30 years. Theres really nothing exposed on me that would allow me to get stung unless they go up under my face shield.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
On average about three times a year.

Always on the neck since it's the only skin showing. I usually get nailed by something, then feel the burning/sting start in. They must hit me ass first or something.

Already hit once this year on my adams apple, just on Saturday, actually, except that I was riding my mountain bike and had plenty of other skin available to sting! But nope, got me in the neck.

Now I have a nice itchy red spot there.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I don't tend to keep a lot of skin exposed, but I do find bees splatted on my jacket and helmet fairly often. I got concerned about this topic last year when I ran into yellow jackets way out in the middle of the national forest. I got several stings and on the way home started thinking about what might have happened if I had a bad reaction to the stings. I got an Epipen prescription from my doctor the next week and keep one on me now.

I've never had a bad reaction to any kind of sting, but I'd hate for the first time to be when I'm miles from civilization.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
In over 10 years of riding no bee/wasp stings, but many smashed ones (helmet/visor/jacket/fairing/radiator). One time I was hit by a wasp I think while riding with only a T-Shirt but fast enough so it couldn't sting but only drive its mandibles into my shoulder (surely by accident).
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Worst 2 times I can recall was when I was young and stupid.
First bike, riding in shorts and a wasp blew up my shorts leg and stung my left nut; and then there was my first D.S. ride where I managed to park on an underground hornets nest. (stung too many times to count)

On average, I get stung maybe once every 2 years or so although, I'm expecting the shield I now have on my little street bike to take that down to Zero!
I do usually find one squashed on my jacket now and then so, I count my blessings that it's a thick protective textile.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I've been stung on the neck once. I didn't know what it was since it was the first time it ever happened, I just knew that something was in the air, then it was on my neck. When I went to wipe it off, that must have pissed off the bee. After getting home and taking my helmet off and walking inside and taking a leak I was looking at myself in the mirror and noticed the damn bee on my neck. It was still there, stuck in my neck by the stinger.

That stinger was in my neck for about 10 minutes. Thank goodness I'm not allergic, I can't even imagine what a bee stinger in your neck for that long could do to your breathing.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Been stung on the neck twice in 30+ years.
Last year while riding about 60mph with my face shield open one hit me in the cheek just below my glasses. Left a little welt but did not sting. I opened the chin bar and saw him there. (seemed to have a pissed off look on his face) Quick head turn & glove flick and he was gone.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,682
Never in about 200k street miles.
But it is disconcerting when they get hung-up in the still air behind a fairing.

However, collecting downed fire wood near Crater Lake, some huge ground bees got my head. Yellow jackets?

Took three days before my helmet fit well... Never again!
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
Twice in 47 years of riding.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
I'm surprised by those of you who are saying that it happens rarely! Wonder what my problem is...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,949
I've been hit once, pretty sure it was a wasp, not a bee. Hurt like hell. Had my leather jacket halfway unzipped for ventilation while tooling slowly along a little road up near Gruene, TX. Little bastard hit me square on the breastbone.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Faithfully once a Year it seems :-)
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'm surprised by those of you who are saying that it happens rarely! Wonder what my problem is...

Do you use flowery scents?

When i was a child my mother had three bee apriaries and the bee keeping book said no scents should be worn.

Not sure if it's a wife tale/folk lore but bright yellow bikes/cars seem to attract more bugs.

EDIT: You ever been stung bt a dead bee? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgqrrWyF0Y

OldPete screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 11:44 AM Reason: noted
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote