Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
I can't remember ever being stung in 51 years of riding. However, I have a buddy who is just the opposite and gets hit several times a year. A wasp even got him once when he was riding pillion behind me back in the '60s. We were on a little Yamaha two stroke I had for awhile when I was a freshman in college. Another got him just last weekend as we were riding back to Dallas from a Guzzi campout in Missouri. I was in the lead, so again the wasp passed me over to get to him.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Hmmm... stung maybe 1 or 2 times a year. Usually on the neck... long ago a bad one went down my shirt and stung me 3 or 4 times before I got it out... dead! (yellowjacket). Been stung once this year already.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #33
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I've never been stung while on the moto. I got stung once on the bicycle, and I have hit them before: nice powdery yellow spot where it bounced at 65mph.

My dad got stung a few times riding through Montana without a shirt in '71.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'm surprised by those of you who are saying that it happens rarely! Wonder what my problem is...
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not ATGATT, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I skip gloves sometimes, and whenever on the Road King I wear an open face helmet. I get them up the pants from the way my legs sit on that bike, wind goes right up my pant legs. Feels great on a hot day though.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
never. I'm 29, had my first MC at 5, never been without a bike since. I've had my bike license since I was 16, so, in 13 years of on-road riding, I've never been stung by a bee.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #36
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 678
Has only happened to me twice on the bike. The first time was during my first year of riding when I was dumb enough to wear a half helmet. The bee got stuck between the strap and my ear. It stung me on the ear lobe, I'm not allergic but that is quite a tender spot to be stung. It was one of the many reasons I never bought a half helmet again.

The other time I was near Allegheny national forest, and had my visor cracked open. I saw a mass of insects in front of me, the next thing I know I'm being stung on the cheek. It was at least two stings maybe three. Could have been more than one bee or a wasp, I'm not really sure. I was sure glad to have a modular helmet that day, I've never flipped it opened it that fast EVER! I had to stop for a while to calm down after that one.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #37
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
e: nice powdery yellow spot where it
that be was carrying a couple of sacks of pollen on its legs

I've never been stung unless I've accidently pinched the bee under my clothing

even this past weekend when my bees swarmed
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #38
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 743
once or twice a year it seems.
mostly when i have the top of my jacket open for a lil more air.
i just dont seem to learn.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #39
Martacle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Been lurking for a while now, might as well post since I have a story.

Been riding for 4 years and have never been stung. Only thing exposed is my neck and I wear gloves with a full gauntlet so they won't go up the sleeves. Anyway, on one morning commute, just as I slowed down for a 90 degree bend, I felt something big hit me just below the adams apple. Patted my chest a bit to see if anything dropped into the jacket and didn't feel anything. A good 15 minutes later I feel something tickling the underside of my arm. I thought for a second about smashing it through the jacket but decided against it. So I pulled over and took my glove off; as soon as it came off a huge bumblebee flew out the end of the sleeve! Guess I was lucky it wasn't a wasp or something similar.
Martacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #40
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,578
I caught a bee or wasp sting a couple weeks ago on the side of the neck while riding my RS. Full ATTGATT, but the SOB lodged in my collar and went to work immediately. I just felt him hit there and instantly got stung. It was the first time in years.

I went through a swarm on my RT last spring. I just got a momentary glimpse of what looked like a cloud above the roadway, then SPLAT! Dozens of bees at once. Windshield, arms, shoulders and helmet were covered, but not one sting. I think that the aerodynamics of the RT are slightly different and definitely more protective. I counted 27 bees on the windshield alone when I got home.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #41
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Hasn't happened to me (yet). I *do* carry a small First Aid kit with me at all times, and have a bottle of "Sting Eze" in there for just that reason. The stuff is amazing!

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV (though I used to play "doctor" when I was much younger... but that should be left for another post.) So, if you're allergic to bee stings, you should carry appropriate medicine!

However, if you just get the typical swelling at the sting site, with redness, pain, and intense itching... you should check this stuff out. I have been using it for years on myself and my kids. The sooner you apply it to a sting, the better results you'll get - try to get it applied within a minute, if you can. When I do get stung, I put Sting Eze on it, and an hour later I can't tell where the sting site was. It takes away the swelling, pain and itch... amazing stuff!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,869
Many years ago I got stung between the fingers.

made it hard to operate the clutch.

Been hit twice by birds. Robin beak made a nice hole in the leg.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #43
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,506
Had face shield open going about 40 mph earlier this year, bee went inside, and about 3 minutes later stung my ear.

ear was swollen, and painful, but I didnt die.

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #44
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 908
Once a year for me.

The last one was weird, for some reason I had a vision of a bee or wasp going up my sleeve right after being hit on the arm. Sure enough a few minutes later it was getting me in the back near my shoulder blades. My wife lifted my shirt when I told her and saw nothing, she dropped the shirt back down and bamm it got me again. It must have been a wasp as the stinger wasn't left behind.
Another time I was doing the 70 down the freeway and rode through a swarm. One bee made it over the windscreen and hit just above my glasses right in my upper eyelid. That one hurt. If you see specks and wonder what it is....duck.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Not yet, though now I'm thinking, "Great something else to worry about?"