Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,195
Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail (NWAT)

Just finished proof riding a new 950 mile adventure trail that loops the beautiful and rugged forests of northern Wisconsin. What a blast!

This ride isn't for everyone. You need to be pretty handy riding off-road. Terrain and surfaces vary with significant sand on both ends and lots of rocks in the middle.

This ride is intended for small-medium dual sports (must be street legal). There will be no big bike go-arounds mapped for this one.

As usual, I will post a GPS file for people to download so they can get out and enjoy this wonderful ride themselves.

GPS track can be downloaded here.

Version 2 now available for download. New Day 4 that is more trail intensive.

This map gives you some better references for cities in the vicinity of the ride.

Another view.

I've posted a few thousand miles of dual sport tracks for others to enjoy including two other long adventure trails. Right now, this track is near the top of the list for me.

I plan to host a CannonTrek on this in the near future.

As I mentioned I have a couple of other long DS rides out there that are similar to this one.

One is the Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (1250 miles).

Another is the Wisconsin-Michigan Adventure Trail (1,000+ miles).

If you've got some time to kill this season, you might take a trip to the north central US as there is some excellent dual sport riding that will keep you busy for a while.

OK, back to the details on this one . . .

Cannonshot screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 08:14 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 348
I took the bait...

In on this one!

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,194
Me too, me too!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420

Yeah buddy! Can't wait to get on this one!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,107

I've had too much popcorn lately.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Logistics

Before we get going on the ride itself, let me cover some information that will help you out with your own trip.

You can "clip and save" this gas card to plan for the gas intervals. The long 95 mile interval has a tavern along the way that may have gas (waypointed at 79 miles), but it is safest to plan using the intervals on this card. Some bikes may not have sufficient range without taking along something like an MSR fuel bottle for a little extra fuel on the long intervals.

There are a couple of options for lodging or camping near the start of the trail. (Of course, you can start the trail at any point along the route, but the way I have it laid out is that the final day will be a shorter one to allow for travel home.) On this ride we stayed at the Spur of the Moment Ranch the night before we launched.

They have a variety of cabin options that you can view by following the link.

There were four of us in this inaugural group so I booked a bunk house for us to stay in the night before we started the ride.

Sleeps six. Bedding provided. Shower house.

This place is 4.4 miles from the start of the NWAT. The owner (Skip) has limited parking for a few vehicles. If you book at pre-ride room there, you may be able to leave your vehicle there while you are out on the ride. Since this is a small bike ride, most people will be hauling or trailering their bikes to the vicinity of the ride - hence the leave your vehicle part. Some may want to book lodging for the day they wrap up the ride and head for home the next day.

I haven't talked to Skip about it, but you might inquire about buying some shower time after the ride if that interests you. I know some places do it but I can't speak for Skip.

There is also an option to get permission to park at the Mountain Town Hall which is also nearby. Call the town clerk to coordinate.

Keep in mind that much of this ride is in remote areas of the north woods. Don't count on reliable cellular coverage. In many of the towns we were able to get data service.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 06:15 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
I took the bait...

In on this one!

jordan
Thanks for tuning in Jordan. There are probably more tall trees on this ride than what you are used to in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Me too, me too!
Glad to have you along. We'll be visiting the north coast of Wisconsin as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post

Yeah buddy! Can't wait to get on this one!
Happy to have you along Chad. I think you'll like this ride. A long ride on rugged trails and two tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
I've had too much popcorn lately.
You might recognize some sections of this from west of Eagle River when you rode along on one of my scouting runs. I was thinking about you when I was running through some twisties in that area.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,325

excellent topic and territory!
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
opt8low
Stranger

Oddometer: 9
Just what I need

Thanks for putting this together Cannon. Gives me one more reason to get out of the chair and do some riding close to home.

I will keep an eye out for the Cannontrek.....

Dana
opt8low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Awesome

We are tuned in...
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 752
Nwat

Bring it on! This part of the US looks incredible and I bet its an overlooked gem. THX!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I was working on this long loop last year. Basically I was able to string together some sections of paths that I scouted out over the years for other rides along with some new material that I had to verify with a proof ride. I'm careful about verifying that the paths are open to licensed dual sport motorcycles before I share a track.

I had it ready to go last fall but never got a chance to pull the trigger on it before winter set in. Dual sport riding in the Wisconsin woods is not very good during the winter so I had to wait until May when the forest roads and trails were open to motorized travel again.

I thought a good way to do the proof ride was to assemble a small group of riders that would make for a fast, light, and fun ride. After putting out some feelers, three fine gentlemen volunteered and we were on our way!

DR Zed was first to commit. He planned to ride a DRZ, but ended up riding his wife's (Zora) WR250.

Monty Burns, a former CannonTrekker, also joined in on a DRZ.

Rounding out the team was BENRON, another former CannonTrekker, who also rode a WR250.

These guys are all experienced riders who knew how to prepare for a trip like this one. They showed up ready to go with only minimal coordination ahead of time.

I was riding a DRZ400 as well. We all navigated by GPS. I ran two units because I was recording any changes I had to make along the way. I ran a 60csx and an Oregon 450. I like the mass storage on the Oregon but don't like the touch screen so much. The 60csx is still my favorite for rides like this. I think Ben ran a 376 in addition to a 60 series as he likes some features it has.

The first segment from Mountain to Crooked Lake takes us through some sporty two tracks that allows us to get back into the swing of things as we get started on the ride. This map shows the link from the ranch as well.

These are fun paths that are mostly national forest two tracks.

Ben was carrying an empty gas can. He would only need to put gas in it for a single long leg. After an initial stretch of miles on that leg, he was able to empty it into the tanks on the two WRs.

Fun paths.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
I'm N !
Looks like a good time.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
Looks awesome!!!

Excellent work as usual from Cannonshot!!!!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
In!

It is amazing country up there and very peaceful! Looking forward to another great report with awesome pics. Thanks Cannon for your level of detail.
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote