User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #46
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
10 Second Video

I am trying to carry and use a point and shoot camera on more dual-sport rides. The zipper on the pouch I keep it in is really bad about closing back-up. I rarely bother to take the camera out. Early on the first day, I did manage to get a couple shots and a movie.

I was hoping Cannon would ham it up with a camera pointed at him. No such luck.

Cannon is often behind the camera and we do not get to see too much of him on his rides and treks. Need to work on that.

Me ready to film:

And this is what I got:

Monty_Burns screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 10:09 PM
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #47
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
I am trying to carry and use a point and shoot camera on more dual-sport rides. The zipper on the pouch I keep it in is really bad about closing back-up. I rarely bother to take the camera out. Early on the first day, I did manage to get a couple shots and a movie.

I was hoping Cannon would ham it up with a camera pointed at him. No such luck.

Cannon is often behind the camera and we do not get to see too much of him on his rides and treks. Need to work on that.

And this is what I got:
"Least exciting dirt bike video ever." I think that was filmed in ultra slow motion. Well at least I can now prove I was on my own ride.

Get a holster with a magnetic flap (or a vest pocket) that holds a ready access camera on a retractable lanyard . . .

. . . and you'll get some good ones.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #48
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
"Least exciting dirt bike video ever." I think that was filmed in ultra slow motion. Well at least I can now prove I was on my own ride.
I felt a tinge of guilt after I published under that title. I have since removed that title and tried to fix the color and brightness of the video. If you are going to be boring on YouTube, may as well do it in true-to-life colors.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #49
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Gas in Dunbar.

A few recent changes to short sections of the trail in this area forced the track out of the woods and onto a highway connector segment.

Nice riding on the two tracks in this area.

This usually has more water in it. Lots of pieces of trees that people dropped into the ruts for traction. Take it easy through here.

We stopped at the Whitetail in Tipler for gas and a sandwich. Zed wasn't feeling too good just then . . .

We had a single cell rainstorm closing in on us so we waited it out for an hour or so.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 06:08 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #50
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On to Eagle River and Boulder Junction.

The gravel forest roads can be pretty good riding. Many of them roll, twist, and turn and are usually pretty scenic.

If it rains, wet grass can slow you down quite a bit.

Fun dirt roads.

Zed shook a fastener off his kickstand. Didn't have the right size in my kit.

A quick stop at the hardware store in Eagle River remedied that problem.

Zed was still in pretty rough shape with gas station sandwich-itis, so he opted to take a scenic and twisty county road route over to our overnight in Boulder Junction.

The rest of us continued on through the forest.

The county forest roads are pretty entertaining. They are dirt and they twist and roll following the terrain. These are industrial roads.

This section uses much of the track from my day ride route through the Northern Highland State Forest. This is a very popular track through an excellent forest.

Finally, after about 12 hours, we make it to the first motel stop in Boulder Junction. It had been a long day with 8 hours of moving time. The four hours non-moving was quite a bit but included a rain delay and some fastener shopping and repairs. The 34 MPH moving average was pretty fast for what we traversed - a little slower than what we do in the UP on the CannonTreks. 270 miles today. Time to relax a little and scare up something to eat.

Compare to a typical CannonTrek in the UP.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #51
zora
the explora

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

Had I known Charlize was coming along, I would've joined you boys!

I also probably would've been able to prevent the chicken salad disaster.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
I also probably would've been able to prevent the chicken salad disaster.
Don't feel too sorry for Zed . . . when we got to the motel we found him soaking in the hot whirlpool.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #53
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 2 started out with a proper breakfast at a restaurant. Then back into the Northern Highland SF.

This state forest is a gem . . . well, I guess maybe they all are.

We use perpetual forest roads here and keep in touch with the superintendent to coordinate our paths. National Forests have Motor Vehicle Use Maps to detail what roads are open when.

They had the sight line required to allow them to roll the outer berm.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #54
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Looks Nice....Thanks for the fine photos
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #55
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
It's exactly this type of thread that convinced me to try 1800 miles alone from one of your previous routes. The wife says these rides should be about four years apart, but I really like the "it's really just a long weekend" approach . Maybe she'll go for that, or better yet I could buy Zora's DR and the wife could come with! Though I will say I have heard more naysayers than supporters of attempting to offroad with your wife .

Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks again for the work you put into these routes to make them easier for the rest of us.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #56
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On through the Flambeau Trail System in the national forest.

Something useful for this ride is the Wisconsin ORV map that VVmapping has available. I run these when I ride Michigan and Wisconsin and a couple of other states. They have ATV/ORV trails embedded into the background map. I run this track on forest roads and ATV trails (which are also forest roads in the NF) and it will be clearer to the rider when I am routing on and off an ATV trail if they use this map. It is not a must have because following the track is following the track, even without a decent background map, but this sure is a nice enhancement.

By the way, not all ATV trails or all parts of ATV trails are open to motorcycles in Wisconsin. It can be pretty confusing, but most of what ATV trails I used were in the National Forest where I verified their status. As a general rule, it is best to check before jumping on a trail you are not sure of.

This trail system is pretty rocky. It is also pretty dry. It has some nice rolling terrain and a lot of twisting trail.

Remember that all of these trails and roads are open to a variety of two-way traffic. You never really know what you will meet - even elk (in one area at least) that might be laying on the trail. Best to ensure you follow best practices of safety and trail etiquette. Watch the sight lines - the other trail user may not be paying attention. If you encounter horses, best to quickly shut down, pull your helmet off, and speak so the horse recognizes you are a person. When overtaking, watch for cues from the rider and the horse. Passing slowly and quietly away from the horse usually works well.

Why all the talk about etiquette and sharing trails? There aren't enough trail opportunities around for all of us to have our own exclusive paths. We need to share. It only takes a moment to make it work well for everyone. I think in all of our riding hours we only encountered a few ATVs, one bicyclist, and a minivan that was on one of the trails.

I mentioned earlier that these are working forests. Always be prepared to encounter logging equipment or trucks hauling logs.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 09:02 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #57
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcho View Post
Looks Nice....Thanks for the fine photos
You are welcome Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
It's exactly this type of thread that convinced me to try 1800 miles alone from one of your previous routes. The wife says these rides should be about four years apart, but I really like the "it's really just a long weekend" approach . Maybe she'll go for that, or better yet I could buy Zora's DR and the wife could come with! Though I will say I have heard more naysayers than supporters of attempting to offroad with your wife .

Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks again for the work you put into these routes to make them easier for the rest of us.
Thanks Dave. It takes a lot of time and effort to put these things together, but there is some reward in setting up validated rides for others to enjoy. It promotes the sport and makes a lot of people happy.

BTW, you might be better off joining a CannonTrek next time around.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #58
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Cannon,

Looks outstanding, you're a great American for doing this! The location and pictures have me hooked. I love those dim grassy 2 tracks!!! Nice job! Randy
motogearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #59
vweas525exc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
looks like fun

Very nice looks like an awsome ride makes me wish I never sold my ktm but she was a little tall for me! Looks like an awsome ride for a drz with the ims bolted on.Is this going to be part of the ralley ride? I am telling you it would be worth the 10hr ride to get to the area.
vweas525exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogearhead View Post
Cannon,

Looks outstanding, you're a great American for doing this! The location and pictures have me hooked. I love those dim grassy 2 tracks!!! Nice job! Randy
Thanks Randy! You should come over and do this one, perhaps on a CT. It is a lot of fun, but a lot of work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweas525exc View Post
Very nice looks like an awsome ride makes me wish I never sold my ktm but she was a little tall for me! Looks like an awsome ride for a drz with the ims bolted on.Is this going to be part of the ralley ride? I am telling you it would be worth the 10hr ride to get to the area.
This track passes the Central ADV Rally site twice. It would be possible to do trips east or west on this path as overnighters from the rally site. I've ridden (and reported on) the long rides in the lower peninsula and based on that I think you would find this to be a very worthwhile trip to northern Wisconsin.