Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #16
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at Tank Vest View Post
I'm seriously thinking of taking the information from this thread and designing a first aid kit system for motorcycle riders and offering it as an accessory to the tank vest.
Great idea. You'd have a customer in me!
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,470
i actually pulled mine appart yesterday, i took the plastic mould out of the st johns first aid kit i have, and added the contents to my colmans trail first aid kit to it. no idea what half the stuff actually is, but several bandages and tape, bandaids, pain releif gel, sissors, tweesers etc. I really should do another first aid course, its been 10 years.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Im a Wilderness EMT, and I have a a kit that i think is very helpful. First off you dont need to bring band aids and 10 different kinds and sizes of gauze. I pack my whole kit in my Hydration pack.

First off, i pack my kit to ether to keep someone alive till they get medevaced or to make it so they can ride out.

I have yet to find a kit that you can buy that has this component.

If someone falls and scrapes their arm, its just an aberration, ill wash it with water and go on riding.

I carry the following:
SAM Splint, its a flexible roll up splint. I use it for splinting broken ankles, arms, wrists.

Ambidextrous wrist splint. use this for hairline fractures and sprains.

3 Tramma Pads, Used to stop, or slow, heavy bleeding. I only bring 3 because if you are bleeding enough to go though 3 tramma pads, they will probably not make it to the hospital.

Burn gell. for burns.......

2 instant cold packs. helps with swelling.

Epi-Pen. You never know when someone will find out they are allergic to something.

I have a 7-day pill holder.
Mon: ibuprofen
Tue: acetaminophen
Wed: aspirin
Thu: non-drowsy benadryl
Fri: Anti-dyaria meds
Sat: Vicodin (dont tell anyone)
Sun: I leave this one open so i can bring something if i need it.

2 rolls of Ace Bandage type tape. Helps when trying to splint.

Roll of 1" Medical tape.

5 6X6 gauze pads.

4-5 pairs of Latex free gloves. always, no matter who or what, use gloves, NO MATTER WHAT!

I think thats my kit. without looking at it im pretty sure thats it.

I carry a SPOT, because i only carry a first aid kit, "aid" not a doctor. Id take a SPOT over a kit any day of the week.

Also please realize, that you could have all of the stuff i carry and still be just as bad off or worst (thinking you can help someone when you cant).

Take a class. find one that focusses on trauma. A first responder class is the best for this stuff. a wilderness first responder class is even better.
Id rather you know the skills and not have a kit than the other way around.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Take a class. find one that focusses on trauma. A first responder class is the best for this stuff. a wilderness first responder class is even better.
Probably the best advice.

I bought the Adventure Medical kit (The trauma kit with Quickclot) and added a 6" Israeli Bandage. the whole deal cost less than $50 and after a class I will feel better about it all. The desert can get pretty remote - especially when solo.

I also carry water, space blanket and fire starter as well as my PLB but you'd be surprised where well cell phones work now.

This is for 1-2 day trips.

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Mike at Tank Vest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Agreed on the knowledge comments. Even still, it's a plus if you have a well put together kit because there may be other qualified individuals on scene that could use it.

Mike

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Good catch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Im a Wilderness EMT, and I have a a kit that i think is very helpful. First off you dont need to bring band aids and 10 different kinds and sizes of gauze. I pack my whole kit in my Hydration pack.

First off, i pack my kit to ether to keep someone alive till they get medevaced or to make it so they can ride out.

I have yet to find a kit that you can buy that has this component.

If someone falls and scrapes their arm, its just an aberration, ill wash it with water and go on riding.

I carry the following:
SAM Splint, its a flexible roll up splint. I use it for splinting broken ankles, arms, wrists.

Ambidextrous wrist splint. use this for hairline fractures and sprains.

3 Tramma Pads, Used to stop, or slow, heavy bleeding. I only bring 3 because if you are bleeding enough to go though 3 tramma pads, they will probably not make it to the hospital.

Burn gell. for burns.......

2 instant cold packs. helps with swelling.

Epi-Pen. You never know when someone will find out they are allergic to something.

I have a 7-day pill holder.
Mon: ibuprofen
Tue: acetaminophen
Wed: aspirin
Thu: non-drowsy benadryl
Fri: Anti-dyaria meds
Sat: Vicodin (dont tell anyone)
Sun: I leave this one open so i can bring something if i need it.

2 rolls of Ace Bandage type tape. Helps when trying to splint.

Roll of 1" Medical tape.

5 6X6 gauze pads.

4-5 pairs of Latex free gloves. always, no matter who or what, use gloves, NO MATTER WHAT!

I think thats my kit. without looking at it im pretty sure thats it.

I carry a SPOT, because i only carry a first aid kit, "aid" not a doctor. Id take a SPOT over a kit any day of the week.

Also please realize, that you could have all of the stuff i carry and still be just as bad off or worst (thinking you can help someone when you cant).

On the Burn Gel, forgot that and it can come in very handy when working on a broken bike or around camp fires.

I won't comment on carrying the Epi pen and Vicodin other to caution others to think very carefully before doing so and even more carefully before giving them to another person. Vicodin is a schedule III narcotic and cannot be used or dispensed without a prescription. It also has side effects that can be dangerous and should not be administered unless under supervised medical direction. Epinephrine is a controlled substance that can also have severe side effects that can lead up to a cerebral hemorrhage and acute pulmonary edema. Anyone who needs an Epi pen should be carrying their own and know how to use it.

I would be more likely to use a couple of small refillable vials for personal meds like Advil etc. than a single divided box but that's a personal choice. I'd also recommend using the individually packed meds that are pretty readily available at stores and online at places like minimus.com Little pricey but it's nice having them sealed up if you're giving them to someone else. I've seen small refillable tubes containing OTC meds like Advil and aspirin at the 99 cents store, they'd work nicely for carrying personal meds and they're cheap too.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Pain pills

I have a few "pain pills" to throw in my 1st Aid kit. Not to get high but to get away from the pain which might help if you have to get from crash site to help site....thankfully haven't needed 'em.

Did use almost all my bandages at a vehicle rollover in Mexico once though...I was the only one (of many "looky loos") who had a First Aid kit (or was willing to share) and seemingly ANY First Aid experience...kinda creepy.

Refreshed bandages and gauze at first opportunity.

Cheers
yatman

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752067
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
a couple of things

EMT style sissors... when you have a broken leg you don't want someone jerking your leg around while trying to tear your pant's leg

Kotex pads as previously mentioned... they soak up a ton of blood (side story a hundred years ago our cheap sheriff would not spend $$$ on first aid supplies... so I was at this accident and taped a Kotex pad across this guy's forehead... and then he got filmed for news that night.... we had regular first aid supplies by the end of the week)

Benadryl... great for allergic reactions

Space blanket for shock

CPR mask... yea I know it is "hands only CPR" now... well that works only if help is there quickly... if you are in the boonies... it is the old style 15:2 CPR... I prefer using a mask unless it is my wife, kids, grandkids, or any cute 18+ old chick...

Cortsone for pesky bites and allergy issues.

A good burn creme

silk tape and Kovan

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Mike at Tank Vest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Okay, I've got the preliminary dimensions for the first aid kit.

Bear in mind, I'm trying to make it as large and encompassing as possible without hindering riding and control. We're looking at something in the ball park of 7-8 inches wide, 2 inches thick, and 10-12 inches long. It will have a basic carry strap that will be stowable and it will be QD from the tank vest or any MOLLE system. I'm also incorporating more MOLLE on the top and sides to allow for other accessories to be put on it.

Right now, the idea is to offer the bag alone or as a full prepared kit. I'm taking suggestions directly from this thread as to how it will be stocked. We will not be including any medications of any type except for things like quick clot, triple antibiotic or similar, and alcohol wipes.

Input?

Mike

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I won't comment on carrying the Epi pen and Vicodin other to caution others to think very carefully before doing so and even more carefully before giving them to another person. Vicodin is a schedule III narcotic and cannot be used or dispensed without a prescription. It also has side effects that can be dangerous and should not be administered unless under supervised medical direction. Epinephrine is a controlled substance that can also have severe side effects that can lead up to a cerebral hemorrhage and acute pulmonary edema. Anyone who needs an Epi pen should be carrying their own and know how to use it.
Yes i do know all of that stuff. I also am trained on how to use such thing properly. If you ever see someone in Anaphylaxis, its horrible to watch, you are literally watching someone suffocate in front of your eyes. Hell yeah im going to jab him, cause without it he is dead.

And if im out riding and someone breaks their femur or tib fib, i would offer them a pill depending on where and how we were going to get them to a hospital. But of course i know the people i ride with, what allergies they have and what heath problems they have.

And i have yet met a LEO who would arrest someone who gave Vicodin to someone with an open fracture.

And most states have very well written Good Samaritan laws to protect people who help other people.

But of course this was MY kit, i wouldnt tell someone to bring most of that stuff unless they knew how to use it.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at Tank Vest View Post
Okay, I've got the preliminary dimensions for the first aid kit.

Bear in mind, I'm trying to make it as large and encompassing as possible without hindering riding and control. We're looking at something in the ball park of 7-8 inches wide, 2 inches thick, and 10-12 inches long. It will have a basic carry strap that will be stowable and it will be QD from the tank vest or any MOLLE system. I'm also incorporating more MOLLE on the top and sides to allow for other accessories to be put on it.

Right now, the idea is to offer the bag alone or as a full prepared kit. I'm taking suggestions directly from this thread as to how it will be stocked. We will not be including any medications of any type except for things like quick clot, triple antibiotic or similar, and alcohol wipes.

Input?

Mike
You need a SAM splint for sure. ACE bandage rolls. Trauma Pads to go along with the QuikClot.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Make it fit in my tool tube that is too small to hold my tools and I'm in!

roughly 3" diameter x 12" long
If it has straps/handles that take space, make it so I can cut them off without compromising the integrity of the bag.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #28
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,470
phernergan tablets for anafalaxis and other related alergies ? http://www.drugs.com/phenergan.html
Epi pens, arnt all they are cracked upto be, appart from being expencive, they have a very short expiry of about 3 months. they are a shot of adrenalin which speeds up the body causing it to flush the toxins out from what i know, used wrong, can speed up the anaphalaxis and we were advised not to use them for my ex wifes alergies.

its what my ex use to take for her nut alergies in fairly high doses, but mild doses are great for other alergies, such as mozzie bite rashes and other stings, hey fever etc. it does make you drowsy though.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #29
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Never used Phenergan as a antihistamine in the ER (better medications->benadryl, pepcid, zantac). Always used for nausea and vomiting. And yes it makes you tired. Used to be used for a sedative in surgery.
Epi pens are needed for anything with hives, swelling (tongue, lips, throat, etc) or respiratory symptoms. Then (we use) benadryl, pepcid and solumedrol (IV prednisone-a steroid). Sometimes zantac in place of pepcid.
Little hint...never put your thumb over the end of an epi pen or any other medication delivery device. If you have it upside down, which happens a lot with epi pens, you inject your thumb. Epi will constrict ALL the blood vessels and arteries in your thumb and, hence, it gets no blood. You could lose the whole thing. Inject the thigh, more meat and larger vessels there.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 297
Heres a little blog post on what I carry for a "safety first" kind of look at riding a motorcycle and being out there.

http://trail-dust.com/category/contr...otojournalist/