Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #31
Blink74 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Went and looked at the wr450 last night. It is not street legal and titled as such. I don't went to deal with the headache of converting the title and modding the bike. So, I'll look for a wr250r or a drz400. It will probably suit my needs better anyhow.
Blink74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #32
codyh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I've got two big streetbikes that won't even start anymore because I spend all of my (limited) riding time playing in the dirt on a 250 two stroke. I like to push the limits of my skills, doing this in the dirt is much safer than on the street and much cheaper than on a road race track. I think that being a life long dirtbike rider makes me a better rider when I'm on the big bikes too.
codyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
you need a different bike for everything

I am the opposite of the OP, I started on small mx bikes bought a plated 525 and just recently bought a 990, now I am on the hunt for a 2 smoke 250 to toss around on the trails. I LOVE my 525 its awesome, but I am tired of how heavy it is and how I trash it when I get tired trying to get it up some of the gnarlier shit. I am getting to the point where I will have 5 different bikes for 5 different reasons.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
My choice.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Ktm 300 xc for enduro trails, 450 excr street legal race bike, goes anywhere. rt1200r for street.
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,363
DR650, but not really a "small" trail bike.

However, compared to my 850 lb Road Glide it's light as a feather.

I find the 2 complement each other well in that I can take the DR anywhere on the highway the HD will go, albeit not as comfortably, and it does just fine off-road.

If I had good off-road riding areas close by I'd choose something lighter but I have to ride almost 50 miles of pavement one way just to get to decent dirt and it's still flat with no curves so the bigger DR is a better fit.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I had a Kawasaki KLX250S for a few months. Booorrringg! Sold it with a little over 300 miles on it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,612
James and Colleen each have BMW 1150's and we also each have a Yamaha TW200!

The Tdub is quirky and fun. Hopeless on the FWY of course but I do ride 20 miles on the FWY sometimes to get to our mountains. it will do about ANYTHING. I do yearn for WR250 though.

One of my riding friends has a Yammah XT225 it is pretty darn capable for a lightweight.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
I rode my WR today up in the sierras on a remnant of a road that hasnt seen traffic in a while. Lots of logs down. Rode over the smaller ones, dragged a couple out of the way, then came to a monster (4+ ft thick trunk). It had fallen down across the road from above. Steep slope, no way around. Fortunately it was on an angle and there was a couple feet clear under one side. Laid the WR over aginst the edge, crawled under the log and dragged the bike under after me. I cant do that kind of thing with my F800, and since I really like to explore new areas off the beaten track, there really is no substitute for a smaller bike. If I had to sell all my bikes but one (, makes me sick even thinking about it), I would probably keep the WR. It might not be the faster thing, but it goes fast enough to get the job done and it just goes more places than anything else I own.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #40
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
I've gone ultralight and really enjoy the freedom of a 175 lb bike on the trails. It'll take me places even a TW200 can't go. It's street legal, 43 years old with a 2 year old 140cc engine.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I am firmly in the small bike realm, tw200 for the sand and swamps around here (its great) and a tu250 for street touring.

Its hard to imagine a bike going through stuff better then a TW...
I have ridden the TW through stuff I likely could not get through on foot...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Springtime here in Central Oregon we have a lot of downed trees that I can lift the 175 lb bike over or drag it under. Couldn't do that with my 200. Guess I'm getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am firmly in the small bike realm, tw200 for the sand and swamps around here (its great) and a tu250 for street touring.

Its hard to imagine a bike going through stuff better then a TW...
I have ridden the TW through stuff I likely could not get through on foot...
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #43
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I rode my WR today up in the sierras on a remnant of a road that hasnt seen traffic in a while. Lots of logs down. Rode over the smaller ones, dragged a couple out of the way, then came to a monster (4+ ft thick trunk). It had fallen down across the road from above. Steep slope, no way around. Fortunately it was on an angle and there was a couple feet clear under one side. Laid the WR over aginst the edge, crawled under the log and dragged the bike under after me. I cant do that kind of thing with my F800, and since I really like to explore new areas off the beaten track, there really is no substitute for a smaller bike. If I had to sell all my bikes but one (, makes me sick even thinking about it), I would probably keep the WR. It might not be the faster thing, but it goes fast enough to get the job done and it just goes more places than anything else I own.
Something like this...
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #44
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
No.

Used to have smaller bikes for racing - DR-ZE, and then a GasGas EC300. They only came out of the garage once a month to go racing. Thought I'd use them for trail-riding too, but always found myself taking the Tenere instead because I didn't have to put it in a van, or worry about fuel all the time, or service it every time I rode it.

So I got rid of the small bikes and started racing the Tenere instead

This is from a UK/Euro POV, where most of our trails would allow a 4x4 through, not much single-track. I've not really come across anything impassible by a sufficiently determined rider on a 650, but I've ridden plenty that was boring as hell on a 300cc stroker. It's all about the challenge
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #45
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
When I was younger, I had a friend who liked to go tough places more then anything else, while I was more of a high speed guy.
It did not seem like much fun getting a bike through a swamp, or making a trail through dense woods on a 100F day.
He would go through water up to the seat then have to drain the water out of our engines, ride right into a bottomless mud hole, lift the bike over 100 trees, etc.

Its mostly flat in South Jersey, so on the TW I can go around almost anything I cant go over or through.
Only water over the seat stops me, but YOU could don scuba gear and carry the bike across I guess!

If you could only find a way to put a TW rear tire on that thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Springtime here in Central Oregon we have a lot of downed trees that I can lift the 175 lb bike over or drag it under. Couldn't do that with my 200. Guess I'm getting old.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote