Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
solarinsocal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
To warranty or not to warranty? That is the question.

I've asked this on the R1200GS board but without a whole lot of results so I figured I'd bring it here for some more ideas and opinions. Thanks.

Hello to all. I've been lurking for a while but I'm at a small crossroads that I need some input on as I've never owned a BMW bike before. I will be doing the paperwork on a 07 1200GS with 66K miles on it this weekend. I have the option of getting a two year warranty for $990.00. Under normal operations for two years would there be any well known malfunctions that would cost this much or more? I don't know the reliability of these BMW motorcycles and therefore need the help of the people who have been riding them. Basically is this a good idea or not? I realize that it is always a gamble but would hate to add nearly another 10% in cost to the bike for something that I may with a high probability not use. I'd appreciate some information. Thanks to all.
solarinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
You need to find out what the warranty covers. then the inmates here can help you decide.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
You just need to weigh and balance.
$990 will buy a lot of parts, and if you do your own labor (you know how the job was done that way) you can do anything.
Otherwise you are out $990 for ... well ...
I never get it. Only once did I ever get the extended warranty, and then ... it did pay off.
But I don't really think it's worth it, if ... you do your own work. If you don't do your own work ... I don't know.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
aftermarket warranties are a waste... it's like paying in advance for work you might need, but odds are you won't...
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
I agree with the others, I had the option to get the extended warranty. I do my own maintenance and with the price of nearly a grand, you can get a lot of parts for that. If a final drive goes you can get a used one for around half of the cost of your warranty, then just pop it on yourself.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
solarinsocal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Great information. Thanks. I heard from the other forum that the FD was about $2K which had me leaning a little toward getting the warranty but it's good to know that the parts can be had for less. I can definately turn my own wrench which is my preferred method when I've got the time. Supposedly the warranty covers everything from electronics, mechanical, parts and labor with no deductible for two years unlimited mileage. It sounds decent but I'm usually one of those non warranty kind of guy. I own and have owned Japanese bikes since the beginning and this would be my first non Japanese. I've never had any real issues with all of the bikes that I have had and currently have but some of the costs for repairs that I have heard about are astronomical on this GS. Please keep the info coming. Thanks.
solarinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 280
I have a 2009 GSA (23,000 miles) had the following replaced/repaired under warranty over the past 3000 miles:

Fuel strip: $285
Clutch slave: $180
Rear ESA Shock: $2000

Other items failed:
Tank emblem fell off, Remus exhaust mount failure, Motorrad GPS backlight failure (overheats).

Personally, I don't think this bike is financially viable without a warranty. I'll probably ditch this bike when the warranty runs out for fear of what may break next; final drive perhaps? Front ESA?

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post
aftermarket warranties are a waste... it's like paying in advance for work you might need, but odds are you won't...
I used to work at a BMW dealer. The aftermarket warranties paid for themselves. This was before the 1200's were out of warranty so it was 1150 issues like leaking rear main seals, stripped input shafts and final drives with various other problems like burned exhaust valves and ABS hydro units.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Does it have ABS? If it does, and it is an ABS I pressure module, that is a $2,500 part, plus installation. . ..

The good news is that I think that module changed in 8/2006.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,099
As a counterpoint. I've put over 230k on 6 12GS's since mid '04. I've had one leaky rear shock which was replaced under wty. My wty on current bike is about to run out and I will not buy the add-on wty. It's a bet and so far I've won.
I do all my servicing cuz I enjoy it. I've hit 48 states and 18 other countries/typing this from Croatia.
Good luck to you!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,615
I'd strongly suggest that you get one..

Like Anorak, I worked at a BMW dealership, as a service advisor.
If you've got the money to get a BMW you're probably smart enough
to realize how important it is to protect your investment.
If you're still undecided, read the threads in this forum.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Doing your own work is meaningless if and when you have a major breakdown 2,000 miles from home. I ride around 30,000 miles a year, and I do a lot of road trips. It's my experience that they pay for themselves.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
everyone who has had to use the warranty is going to think its worth it.
almost everyone that hasn't bought it is going to think its a waste.
everyone who has worked at a dealership is going to think its worth it.

The first two are obvious. The last is simple. Bikes with problems under warranty are going to come into the dealer to get repaired. Every bike they see to work on is... get this... broken! Most of them are probably under some type of warranty. Those who don't have the warranty can't pay for the exorbitant prices most dealers charge, source the parts online or used, and do the work themselves. The dealer never even knows it happened.

A warranty is an insurance policy. People who write warranties and price them out have predicted the failures, and service typical to the bike. The warranties are designed to MAKE THE MANUFACTURER MONEY. They do not offer warranties to LOOSE money. The ODDS are in the Manufacturers favor (unless they've overlooked something critical and do a mass recall) to make money, just like insurance policies.

To recap. Warranties are a game of chance, and the house almost always wins. This tells me, if you do NOT get the extended warranty which was designed in favor of the house, you've just increased your odds to come out ahead.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,392
The driveshafts and shocks on the 12GS models are occasionally giving out around 50K miles. If either one of those goes bad you'll be making money on the warranty. If both go bad you'll be rolling in dough.

That being said, check to make sure the shock is covered. And the clutch.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjw916 View Post

+100
The warranty company is playing the odds and making a lot of money

edit: well put nano

Dan-M screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 02:30 PM
Dan-M is offline   Reply With Quote