User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #46
cool dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Cool2 All the best!

Best wishes to you and your family Brent! I am glad that you are all OK and that you appreciate that above all else. It's funny how it takes such potentially life threatening events to make us realise what the important things in life actually are. Having said that, if I had a 660 Rallye that had just gone up in smoke I might begin to quetion that..

I hope the insurance, rebuild, renovate and re-purcahse all go well for you and that you manage to stay positive. Hopefully good karma will follow.....
cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #47
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 398
So Sorry

Brent,
I just read your about this today. I am glad to hear there were no injuries to you ao your family. Its sure a major bummer to loose all you stuff though. Take Care.
Steve
Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #48
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
The charger was one of the larger car style chargers with the charge or start option....
Thanks for sharing the details with us....

Not making light about this but a Clarification about True Trickle Chargers.

I have one of these Larger Car Chargers and the Low Side of the Charge is about 10 AMPs and the Full Charge side is around 40 AMPs.

On the Other hand, the 3 BatteryTender Trickle Chargers (I have) ONLY put out 1.25 AMPs and most likely not strong enough to Over Charge/Cook a Battery to make it explode and cause a Fire type condition.

Just wanted to Clarify this so we don't overly get paranoid about real trickle chargers that are on while we are not around.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #49
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
When my wife left the house in her towel, and I went in, the smoke was about 3-4' thick from the ceiling down but the detectors were silent. I wasnt until perhaps another 3-4 minutes had passed and the smoke was down almost to the floor that I first heard the detectors. Thankfully, that detail didnt matter.

Sorry, but I have to comment on this. I wasn't there. I don't know the circumstances. But this part was incredibly stupid on your part. Never go into a burning building like this. You don't have the proper gear. You put your life at risk for nothing.

I am only a volunteer fire fighter. But I have seen people go in like this to try and save that heirloom or xxx and not come back out. When a building is burning, things fall down. Bookcases, lights, fans, ceilings. Not to mention the smoke. If you get hit by something you can be knocked unconscious. If you breath in too much smoke you can lose consciousness. If you get knocked unconscious in the middle of a fire, the fire department will do everything that they can to help you. But if they can't get to you in time they can't help. If you get into a situation that they consider too dangerous, they won't go in to help you.

Even if you don't see the flames, they can be there. Smoke hides things. You can't see that ceiling fan hanging by a single wire waiting for you to walk under it.

Don't make the situation worse by going into the burning building. Stay outside. Take care of your family. You can replace things, but you can't replace people.

Sorry, but I had to say it.

I am sorry that this happened to you. It sounds like the whole of the OC is here for you if there is anything that we can do to help you.

Here are two Rally 660's for sale if this helps you with finding a price for them:

http://www.master-rallye.com/MR2001/...adds_ktm.shtml

http://cgi-bin.dakar.com/forum/ultim...c;f=5;t=000108
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 291
What a terrible situation. I hope the insurance company goes to bat for you, and doesn't fight against you.

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #51
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Holy Shit Brent!

So sorry to hear. At least your family is safe.

Get in touch if there's anything I can do.

Quote:
And burned everything.

I'd love to post photos, but I am just now able to get on the internet at all and pictures will be a whole nother challange.

Long story short, I wanted to pick up my boy from school on the 950 (it was his birthday) but the battery was weak from me having leftthe GPS turned on a few days earlier. So I put the bike on a trickle charger and left the house for about 20 minutes to check on a job.

When I returned the house was in flames. My wife was in the shower at the time, so she was running around the yard in a towel, hysterical. Needless to say.

The losses:

About 1/2 the house. Looks like we will be out for 6 months and although much of our stuff did not recieve fire damage, they are throwing most all of our stuff away due to smoke damage.

The 950. It simply discintigrated (sp?).The front end, triples, forks, wheel, etc. is gone. The swingarm burned through. Things like valve covers and engine cases melted or burned away. Even the carbs burned or melted to nothing.

My 660 Rally bike. Not as bad as the 950, but not salvagable at all. Nothing left.

My '65 Ford Mustang. It was my grandfathers car and is very important to me. I may be able to save this one. It is completely burned cosmetically and interior, but the body, chassis and engine may be good. I will buy it back and put it in the back barn for some later day.

All mountain bikes, paddle boards, tools, and everything else you keep in the garage. Which for me is everything.

The fire started with either the charger or the battery itself, and since our fire I am learning that this is NOT uncommon. So be careful when charging batteries. I will never charge a battery in the garage again. Move the bike, move the battery, whatever. It isn't that hard to do. Lesson learned.
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Oh man, so very glad to hear everyone is safe.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #53
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Wow Brent! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #54
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,853
Crap, that is horrible. Glad everyone is ok. Hopefully the insurance $$$ will allow you to replace all of your stuff.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,421
Holy shit.

Sorry to hear but glad that your family is safe.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #56
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75monza View Post
Sorry, but I have to comment on this. I wasn't there. I don't know the circumstances. But this part was incredibly stupid on your part. Never go into a burning building like this. You don't have the proper gear. You put your life at risk for nothing.

I am only a volunteer fire fighter. But I have seen people go in like this to try and save that heirloom or xxx and not come back out. When a building is burning, things fall down. Bookcases, lights, fans, ceilings. Not to mention the smoke. If you get hit by something you can be knocked unconscious. If you breath in too much smoke you can lose consciousness. If you get knocked unconscious in the middle of a fire, the fire department will do everything that they can to help you. But if they can't get to you in time they can't help. If you get into a situation that they consider too dangerous, they won't go in to help you.

Even if you don't see the flames, they can be there. Smoke hides things. You can't see that ceiling fan hanging by a single wire waiting for you to walk under it.

Don't make the situation worse by going into the burning building. Stay outside. Take care of your family. You can replace things, but you can't replace people.

Sorry, but I had to say it.

Here are two Rally 660's for sale if this helps you with finding a price for them:

http://www.master-rallye.com/MR2001/...adds_ktm.shtml

http://cgi-bin.dakar.com/forum/ultim...c;f=5;t=000108
This is very very true. I wasn't trying to be a hero, but when I pulled up to and ran into the house, I guess I thought I could put it out. I really did. I opened the door from the kitchen to the garage thinking "there is an extinguisher right next to the door". Then the heat hit me square in the face. I slammed the door and thankfully it latched once again creating a solid fire wall. Had it not, the house would be gone and I may not have gotten out. As it is, I only got a good hair cut above my forehead and on my arms. Truly dumb. I went straight to hero mode.

ANOTHER lesson learned! Thanks for the links on the 660's!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #57
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
Super bummed about you losing all of your material things
But Super thrilled that you didn't lose any loved ones (including pets)
could have made it unbearably worse

Let me know if you need help with anything
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #58
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Here's a couple of pics.

The Mustang.

And the 660

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #59
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Brent,
It was bad enough to imagine what you went through... but those pic's made me nauseous.

You have some True Grit and may the Force be With You.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

And here's what's left of the 950.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50