ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #61
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 204
Ugh. That's devastating. Somehow in life, all these experiences end up being just that, experiences. The sun will again rise tomorrow and life will continue. Here's to you and your family being safe. Hang in there, it'll get better.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #62
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
This is very very true. I wasn't trying to be a hero, but when I pulled up to and ran into the house, I guess I thought I could put it out. I really did. I opened the door from the kitchen to the garage thinking "there is an extinguisher right next to the door". Then the heat hit me square in the face. I slammed the door and thankfully it latched once again creating a solid fire wall. Had it not, the house would be gone and I may not have gotten out. As it is, I only got a good hair cut above my forehead and on my arms. Truly dumb. I went straight to hero mode.!

I'd have done the same thing. Many of us would, it's human nature. And I've been a professional firefighter for thirty years!

Sorry to hear of this tragedy, and see the pic of that poor 950.
You're welcome to ride mine if you're in the Seattle area.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #63
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
So this is the last photo of the 950 pre-fire. Taken 3 days prior to the fir on top of Ebbetts Pass. Good bye old girl!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #64
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,127
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #65
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,237
Wow Brent, Sorry to hear about this.

I hope that the family is all OK and that things get better for you soon.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #66
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,106
Photos

SHITE....THAT WAS A HOT FIRE.

Iron man sproket and disc's look ok.

Brent take conciliation it could of been a lot worse, I remember listening to a couple who house burnt to the ground, the biggest loss for them were the memories, photos and keep sakes. Everyone’s OK, car is a new project. Happy Days.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #67
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,142
Damn.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #68
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Brent,
I saw where you said the insurance company only offered 12K on your 45K Mustang. Once you get it fixed, call Hagerty's Insurance and you can name the monetary value of the car (within reason) and insure it for that without hassle. This is how I have my classic insured, and it is reasonable too. You may already know this.

Man that was a hot fire right there at your 950. It has to be pretty hot to just make aluminum disappear like that.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
WOW!!! Those pictures are amazing!! That had to be one hot fire, I never imagined that a motorcycle could literally melt. As said by all before, I am glad everyone is ok. Keep us posted and let us know if the OC can be of any assistance. Hang in there.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #70
Baja_Joe
Every mile KOTW 2011

Oddometer: 143
Brent,

Man, those pictures look very sad. I am glad you are alright and the family is safe.

Sorry for the loss and I hope things get better just as soon as they can.

Peace,

Baja Joe
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #71
gigeorge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Everymans worst nightmare seeing his pride of toys in such a state.. Like others have said , it can only mean newer better things.. I hope youve got good insurers..
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #72
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Sorry to hear about your loss's, and glad you and your family are safe. I wish and your family the best of luck at rebuilding your lives and that mustang.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #73
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 427
I really sorry to hear that, I wish you the best of luck to you and your family!!

Take care!!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #74
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Oh, man, I feel your pain. That sucks so bad, to have lost all of that stuff...and smoke damage is so damned hard to get rid of, on the stuff that survives...damn, that sucks man.

Glad the wife and family is ok.

Quote:

The fire started with either the charger or the battery itself, and since our fire I am learning that this is NOT uncommon. So be careful when charging batteries. I will never charge a battery in the garage again. Move the bike, move the battery, whatever. It isn't that hard to do. Lesson learned.
This...is just one more story I have heard many times. My dad trained to be a firefighter and I never could understand why he was such a nazi about where he stored flammables, how electrical cords were used, putting fuses on anything he installed on his truck - and also about charging batteries away from other things. Until I heard a story like this one, and then another...by the time I had my own stuff to charge and garage to worry about, I was the nazi my dad was.

When I get a new battery(or charger, or battery tender...), I set it out on a piece of concrete with the charger next to it and let it trickle at the length of the extension cord. If I charge a battery in a vehicle because it is hard to take out, it gets pushed outside on my side patio, locked behind a gate.

I don't even trust small battery chargers in the house anymore! I had a cheap replacement charger for a cel phone that I bought in a hurry at the airport, and I was walking through my kitchen one day and had the phone charging on it on the end of the countertop. I could feel the heat surging from the phone walking by with my arm! I unplugged it immediately, let the charger cool, and chucked it. Junk. I couldn't even touch the phone, and the battery swelled way up like any Li-po battery does when abused by discharge rate or charger abuse. The phone had to be wiped and re-softwared and all that, and I lost a bunch of pictures, but at least it didn't start a fire...

Quote:
My house is 40 years old, but when I bought it I put in A/C powered smoke detectors with battery back-up to current code, but they didnt work real well. When my wife left the house in her towel, and I went in, the smoke was about 3-4' thick from the ceiling down but the detectors were silent. I wasnt until perhaps another 3-4 minutes had passed and the smoke was down almost to the floor that I first heard the detectors. Thankfully, that detail didnt matter.
That's shocking! Do you know the name/brand of the detector? If you say they didn't work real well, how did you test them?

So, now the big question: what did insurance cover?

hilslamer screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 06:00 PM Reason: added second post to first
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #75
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
660, /tears
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote