Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #31
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Nice report. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

About FS39 from Joseph to the bottom of Hells Canyon has been repaired. I rode it last summer and it's as beautiful as ever.

If you have desire to return to Hells Canyon, consider coming in June and join a number of ADV riders (see my sig line).
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Nice report and very good photos! Really nice to see someone out by themselves and especially your age (and mine). Ha!

Have fun and take care of yourself. Looking forward to more updates and will look up your past rides.
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Nf39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
It has been a few years since we travelled on NF39. It goes east from Joseph and ends up in Hell's Canyon. There was a washout last year but I read that it was repaired. We were planning on riding there this July, 2012

bob
On Google Earth it looks like it's paved, but narrow.... hopefully it is open, as I'd like to go to Wallowa area again, and circle around the area, and then head over to Glacier again....something like that.
Danielle
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

hi Ladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice report. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

About FS39 from Joseph to the bottom of Hells Canyon has been repaired. I rode it last summer and it's as beautiful as ever.

If you have desire to return to Hells Canyon, consider coming in June and join a number of ADV riders (see my sig line).
Hi Ladybug, thanks for the information on FS39. I look forward to riding in that area. Thanks for the invite to the ADV Rider meeting in June. I'm not leaving here till the first weekend in July.... but I may stay in that campground you guys are using (Outpost RV and Campground) I don't often camp when it's very hot....being from Canada, I like it cool!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Are you perhaps referring to Forest Road 39....Cariboostrom
I was indeed; I didn't have the road number at my office, where I did the post.

Don't miss this section; it's a little piece of riding heaven. It's lane and a half wide asphalt - a real stemwinder. The tricky part is missing the chipmunks that run across your path. Have fun!

I note your occupation: what's your specialty?
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I was indeed; I didn't have the road number at my office, where I did the post.

Don't miss this section; it's a little piece of riding heaven. It's lane and a half wide asphalt - a real stemwinder. The tricky part is missing the chipmunks that run across your path. Have fun!

I note your occupation: what's your specialty?
I teach English Literature and Composition. My "speciality" is the Baby Boom era in Australia.

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 09:57 AM
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Joseph to Kootskia

The older Harley dudes left the motel by 6.30 am with a loud blast from their exhausts. They were getting a head start on what was to be a hot day. I packed up the bike and headed out around 9.15 back up to Enterprise and back down into Hell’s Canyon. I stopped for a few photos, trying to get the “leading lines” effect in my photos. What an awesome ride this one is. Back up to Rattlesnake Pass, and on to the strange little town of Anatone. I pulled over in the shade, and walked up and down the street photographing the abandoned old buildings and cars and trucks.

I kind of like this one, as the eye goes to my V-Strom parked in the distance....people lived their lives here in these buildings, and drove these old vehicles.... not much happening in Anatone these days.... some dogs were barking ferociously at me as I wandered around, so I hopped on the bike and headed back to Asotin to the bakery for another cappuccino and breakfast croissant.
So I headed out towards Lewiston, and rode on to Kootskia and found an airconditioned room at the Kootskia Western Motor Inn, a funky old motel I've stayed at before...clean, comfortable, quiet, and air conditioned! Riding the Hwy 12 in Idaho up to Lolo is one of my favourite rides....
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #38
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
So enjoying your newest ride report and pictures!! I haven't ventured out on more than a day ride by myself, but hoping to one of these days. You definitely inspire me... Melanie
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #39
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
CaribooStrom:(Danielle)

perhaps next time you could stay in Orofino, ID. there is an excellent motorcycle friendly motel where we stayed last year

http://www.konkolvillemotel.com/

check out their "Grill your own steak" option. We would definitely stay there again

bob

current RR --> click here

bESS screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 09:22 AM Reason: spelling error
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

inspire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadchick View Post
So enjoying your newest ride report and pictures!! I haven't ventured out on more than a day ride by myself, but hoping to one of these days. You definitely inspire me... Melanie
Melanie, get out there and do it! I see you like the quote from Yann Martel about "FEAR"
Danielle
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #41
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadchick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
Melanie, get out there and do it! I see you like the quote from Yann Martel about "FEAR"
Danielle
I know it's a lot harder for a lady for obvious reasons, but as Cariboostrom said
"Get out and do it".
houndawgg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #42
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
CaribooStrom:(Danielle)

perhaps next time you could stay in Orofino, ID. there is an excellent motorcycle friendly motel where we stayed last year

http://www.konkolvillemotel.com/

check out their "Grill your own steak" option. We would definitely stay there again

bob
Thanks for that tip Bob...I checked out their website and it does look very good. I really enjoy riding around this part of Idaho and into western Montana, staying at Mom and Pop type motels.
Danielle
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
Cariboostrom OP
Studly Adventurer

harder for a lady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndawgg View Post
I know it's a lot harder for a lady for obvious reasons, but as Cariboostrom said
"Get out and do it".
When you say "it's a lot harder for a lady for obvious reasons"..... so what exactly ARE these reasons? I know a lot of guys who don't go very far on their bikes either! Mostly it's FEAR! So as an older female I don't get hassled by young guys wanting a date...young guys come up and talk to me about the V-Strom a lot. I love the look on guys' faces when I pull up at a gas station or parking lot, and pull off my helmet, and they gawk and see an older woman with grey hair! Love it! Older guys don't seem to know what to say, except to ask if I have a husband lurking around somewhere I get a LOT of women of all ages coming up to me to talk about riding alone; they all say "You are SO brave" so fear is obviously the problem. I say, feel the fear, yes, but do it anyway. I ride on gravel roads here in B.C. relatively close to home, so if I damage the bike I can at least usually get home again. Far away, I tend to not ride in gravel or dirt, unless I'm riding with someone.

Physically it is daunting to ride a big bike so far from home. The Strom is very reliable, and I've had no mechanical problems or tire issues. I do have BCAA and a cell phone...as my bike riding mechanic in Quesnel says "just chuck a credit card at the problem, and it usuallly goes away".... I read a lot of ride reports, from all around the world. Riders get into trouble and it is a daunting task sometimes to figure it all out, but eventually they do get it sorted, and carry on. Few things are fatal....it's just a matter of staying calm and believing that people generally are very kind (especially the biker community) and helpful, and using one's brains to figure out a way through the difficulty.

I do worry about tipping the bike over, fully loaded. I used to be able to pick up my 1978 GS550E by myself (unloaded), but this bike I have not tried picking it up. I've dropped it 3 times on the road, always in a parking area, but there have been people around to help.With luggage on, it is not down flat. If I was alone, and it was essential to get it picked up, I would unload the whole bike, and then try the lift using the legs as shown in the videos I think. I worry about hurting myself trying to lift it, and then what do I do? A sore back takes weeks to heal, so what do I do? Take a bus home, and come back and get the bike later? So I wait until there is help, and fortunately the three times there has been help close by. Guys seem to like to show how strong they are to lift the bike for me! I am very careful when I come to a stop to make sure the ground is level before getting off.

It is a shame that people (both men and women) cannot conquer their fears enough to get out there and do it. I get butterflies in my stomach every time before I leave, but after a day or two on the road, my confidence level goes up, and my faith in the bike and in humanity is restored, and on I go. I mostly write these ride reports for other women riders, as an inspiration for them to also get out there and get on with it. Most of the time I'm scared shitless, but I do it anyway. So enough about conquering the fear, and let's get on with the ride report.

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 11:31 AM
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #44
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
You M'lady are an inspiration , i look forward to more

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
eSTes1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
When you say "it's a lot harder for a lady for obvious reasons"..... so what exactly ARE these reasons? I know a lot of guys who don't go very far on their bikes either! Mostly it's FEAR! So as an older female I don't get hassled by young guys wanting a date...young guys come up and talk to me about the V-Strom a lot. I love the look on guys' faces when I pull up at a gas station or parking lot, and pull off my helmet, and they gawk and see an older woman with grey hair! Love it! Older guys don't seem to know what to say, except to ask if I have a husband lurking around somewhere I get a LOT of women of all ages coming up to me to talk about riding alone; they all say "You are SO brave" so fear is obviously the problem. I say, feel the fear, yes, but do it anyway. I ride on gravel roads here in B.C. relatively close to home, so if I damage the bike I can at least usually get home again. Far away, I tend to not ride in gravel or dirt, unless I'm riding with someone.

Physically it is daunting to ride a big bike so far from home. The Strom is very reliable, and I've had no mechanical problems or tire issues. I do have BCAA and a cell phone...as my bike riding mechanic in Quesnel says "just chuck a credit card at the problem, and it usuallly goes away".... I read a lot of ride reports, from all around the world. Riders get into trouble and it is a daunting task sometimes to figure it all out, but eventually they do get it sorted, and carry on. Few things are fatal....it's just a matter of staying calm and believing that people generally are very kind (especially the biker community) and helpful, and using one's brains to figure out a way through the difficulty.

I do worry about tipping the bike over, fully loaded. I used to be able to pick up my 1978 GS550E by myself (unloaded), but this bike I have not tried picking it up. I've dropped it 3 times on the road, always in a parking area, but there have been people around to help.With luggage on, it is not down flat. If I was alone, and it was essential to get it picked up, I would unload the whole bike, and then try the lift using the legs as shown in the videos I think. I worry about hurting myself trying to lift it, and then what do I do? A sore back takes weeks to heal, so what do I do? Take a bus home, and come back and get the bike later? So I wait until there is help, and fortunately the three times there has been help close by. Guys seem to like to show how strong they are to lift the bike for me! I am very careful when I come to a stop to make sure the ground is level before getting off.

It is a shame that people (both men and women) cannot conquer their fears enough to get out there and do it. I get butterflies in my stomach every time before I leave, but after a day or two on the road, my confidence level goes up, and my faith in the bike and in humanity is restored, and on I go. I mostly write these ride reports for other women riders, as an inspiration for them to also get out there and get on with it. Most of the time I'm scared shitless, but I do it anyway. So enough about conquering the fear, and let's get on with the ride report.
Like your bike, attitude, optimism, and sense of adventure. Come on down to the four corners states, you'll love it. Dry and wide open.
eSTes1300 is offline   Reply With Quote