Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #46
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I ill say this about the available VWs. They are SO much better appointed, and feel like a driving experience much more so than any Honda Civic or pretty much anything NEAR their price. Other than a Merc or BMW the VW feels best.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I ill say this about the available VWs. They are SO much better appointed, and feel like a driving experience much more so than any Honda Civic or pretty much anything NEAR their price. Other than a Merc or BMW the VW feels best.
When you start averaging 10-15 hours a month with a scan tool, a repair manual, and a laptop, searching VW Vortex for tutorials to fix the latest problem, the magical driving experience is harder and harder to remember. You're right, they provide one hell of a driving experience, and make much higher quality products, like Hondas and Toyotas, feel like appliances. That said, the bullshit gets old, and could of easily been avoided if VAG gave half a fuck, and engineered and built a better product. Maybe the very latest products are better. The Passat may prove to be, the Jetta is an embarassment. Doesn't matter now, like hundreds of thousands of other victims, monkeys will fly out of my ass before I buy another of their products.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Which is why I will buy an appliance, that lasts like a Maytag instead of a super fun car I can drive between repairs. At some point I have to make myself grow up a tad bit!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
When you start averaging 10-15 hours a month with a scan tool, a repair manual, and a laptop, searching VW Vortex for tutorials to fix the latest problem, the magical driving experience is harder and harder to remember. You're right, they provide one hell of a driving experience, and make much higher quality products, like Hondas and Toyotas, feel like appliances. That said, the bullshit gets old, and could of easily been avoided if VAG gave half a fuck, and engineered and built a better product. Maybe the very latest products are better. The Passat may prove to be, the Jetta is an embarassment. Doesn't matter now, like hundreds of thousands of other victims, monkeys will fly out of my ass before I buy another of their products.
Pure gold, brother!
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #50
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,034
Quote:
But, how do you really feel?
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #51
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:

Well said!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #52
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
This place and those here like you have saved me countless thousands of dollars! This is exactly why I post these questions here instead of going off half cocked.....THANKS! So I played it safe and smart, got a 2005 Focus ZX3 with a Zetec motor and 5 speed.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #53
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,866
Quote:
Exactly my sentiments. After 8 VW's, Rabbit's, Scirocco's, Jetta's, and a Passat, I finally had enough. In the early days, they were great for teaching my how to work on cars myself and were always fun to drive, especially my 83 Scirocco with the GTi motor, close ratio 5sp, short shift kit, coilovers, and tighter ratio steering rack, but it got old.

In the end, we had a 2003 Passat which was really a nice car and would have moved on to a 2007 Passat Wagon, but the dealer experience is so consistently crappy. They screwed us around for 6 weeks on the wagon purchase. Maybe we could get what we wanted, maybe not, might be a 2007, might be a 2008, depends on when the factory cut off production, etc... excuse after excuse.

We left pissed one day with no car and no delivery date set even though our lease was coming to an end and we drove up the road passed a Volvo dealer. I mentioned that I always liked the look of the V50 wagon and my wife agreed. We stopped in and 30 minutes later, we had the deal done, car would be delivered the following day. Since then, I've bought 4 more Volvo's from that dealer and each experience has been an absolute pleasure. The cars have been great, they bend over backwards for customer service, they quite simply leave VW in the dust on all fronts.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #54
jdiaz

Four years old and still makes me grin every day.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #55
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
This place and those here like you have saved me countless thousands of dollars! This is exactly why I post these questions here instead of going off half cocked.....THANKS! So I played it safe and smart, got a 2005 Focus ZX3 with a Zetec motor and 5 speed.
Nothing wrong with a Focus...

But, I bought my 02 TDI Jetta Wagon with 23K and it is at about 150 now. Ive done the timing belt etc, replaced springs cuz 1 broke, struts, tires, oil etc. I am about to do a clutch cuz I made it too powerful for the stock one. VW replaced the two front fenders for rust free. I think my antenna is going to shit. $22 to replace from Amazon. Part of the exhaust rusted, so I went stainless turbo back. I replaced some glow plugs. Yea, it is a piece of shit really killing me on maint...

Oh, I've flushed the brake fluid a couple of times and done brakes. And I had to buff the headlights to clean them up.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #56
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,583
We have a 2008 Golf GTD Sport with the DSG. The oil level in that car kept rising, they replaced the fuel pump twice and then the cylinder head. On the way home from one of the trips to the garage my wife noticed a slight clunk, that developed after the car had warmed up. They couldn't work out what it was and replaced the dual mass fly wheel. The clunked remained. They replaced the gearbox. Well, it's still clunking a little. Oh, and since the oil level kept rising, they recently replaced the fuel pump for the third time.

The dealership gave us near new, or new cars as courtesy cars. The Golf has been washed more often by them then by us. They didn't charge us for the 60000km DSG service, since we got a new gearbox and didn't need it.

The car is fantastic, the dealer was good (they never even blinked), but the oil level story is a concern. On the upside, we almost have a 2012 Golf now.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #57
jdiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
The car is fantastic, the dealer was good (they never even blinked), but the oil level story is a concern.
Well, its either a leaking head gasket or a stuck fuel injector, right? Sounds like they've beaten the fuel pump thing to death.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #58
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Four years old and still makes me grin every day.
Still too new to know about reliability but this one does the same thing. Don't buy a VW whatever you do.

SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #59
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
We have a 2008 Golf GTD Sport with the DSG. The oil level in that car kept rising, they replaced the fuel pump twice and then the cylinder head. On the way home from one of the trips to the garage my wife noticed a slight clunk, that developed after the car had warmed up. They couldn't work out what it was and replaced the dual mass fly wheel. The clunked remained. They replaced the gearbox. Well, it's still clunking a little. Oh, and since the oil level kept rising, they recently replaced the fuel pump for the third time.

The dealership gave us near new, or new cars as courtesy cars. The Golf has been washed more often by them then by us. They didn't charge us for the 60000km DSG service, since we got a new gearbox and didn't need it.

The car is fantastic, the dealer was good (they never even blinked), but the oil level story is a concern. On the upside, we almost have a 2012 Golf now.
Y'all are a die hard bunch I'll give you that

A friend of mine had a Jetta recently die after years of nickel and diming him but without blinking he said he's getting another VW. They sound a lot like Saab's but you guys at least have real cup holders

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #60
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Y'all are a die hard bunch I'll give you that

A friend of mine had a Jetta recently die after years of nickel and diming him but without blinking he said he's getting another VW. They sound a lot like Saab's but you guys at least have real cup holders
I see the same thing with BMW owners who buy one of the fluke maint heavy BMWs. They will drive the car for four or five years, spend 5K in repiars, and sell it off after getting tired of the costs and buy another BMW....I shouldn't talk, I have my 6th BMW still and it still runs and drives (other than I need to do some bushes and a diff mount) like a new car....and it's a 1985 M535i Dinan E28.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: