ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
2012 DL650A HT Denali Panniers (cliff cut)

This post is about a set of Happy Trail Denali cliff cut panniers that I will be putting on my 2012 V-Strom 650. If this post should be in another thread feel free to move it mods. I don't give a shit, as I'm pretty easy.

First a couple of pics of the boxes. From what I can see and feel they are built like a brick shithouse. They are also surprisingly light.

Everybody always seems to have questions about the inside diameters so here goes:

1. Opening is just shy of 6 inches (too lazy to convert to Canadian centipede measurements)

2. And its lengths is a little over 16 inches:

3. The cliff cut portions is the same width as the opening which is just shy of 6 inches in case you are too lazy to scroll up.

4. The cliff cut area by the pucks is a bit smaller if you choose the pucks. HT is awesome and includes regular bolts if you choose not too use the pucks. Total width at the puck is just shy of 5 inches.

These are the biggest camping items that I take with me (Big Angnes SL2, Thermorest pad, Jet boil cup and pan):

And this fits in one pannier with lots of room to spare:

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
They do look wondrous.

You got em on the bike yet?

Curious what the measurement across the back is when your done, widest part of the arse as it were.

Looks like it would keep it slim.

HT is great - good guys to talk with as well.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
BeerIsGood

How my stream buster fits

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. My LLBean 6'6'' 3wt 4pc "stream buster" fits, but only at an angle so I will probably have to strap it to the top. BTW, if you are like me and like to crawl through the brush just to get to a 10 X 10 casting area with an 8 foot overhead just to get a big one then this rod is the go to!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
They do look wondrous.

You got em on the bike yet?

Curious what the measurement across the back is when your done, widest part of the arse as it were.

Looks like it would keep it slim.

HT is great - good guys to talk with as well.
Planning on installing this weekend. HT says the width should be 36.5 inches and they have been dead on so far. BTW, This company has been great to work with. SMALL BUSINESSES ROCK!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

When I set up my KLR, I was torn between aluminum panniers and Pelicans.

I went with Pelican Storm cases, and love em. My backside is exactly 36 inches across (hard to find pants..) but still no wider than my handguards me thinks.,

My next or second bike someday is going to have aluminum panniers, I like that look and function as well, maybe a first generation KLR, Versys or Strom some day in addition to the already paid for KLR.

I like the wide load look to be more visible in trafffic.

I would go with HT alum. panniers in a second, great prices, options, etc.

Did you get the orange 2012 Strom then?

~Butch Cassidy
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
BeerIsGood

Quote:
When I set up my KLR, I was torn between aluminum panniers and Pelicans.

I went with Pelican Storm cases, and love em. My backside is exactly 36 inches across (hard to find pants..) but still no wider than my handguards me thinks.,

My next or second bike someday is going to have aluminum panniers, I like that look and function as well, maybe a first generation KLR, Versys or Strom some day in addition to the already paid for KLR.

I like the wide load look to be more visible in trafffic.

I would go with HT alum. panniers in a second, great prices, options, etc.

Did you get the orange 2012 Strom then?

Yep, went with the orange V-Strom. I too was torn between the HT and the Pelicans (Caribous). I went with the HT because the Caribou cases decided to use the Hepco-Becker racks which have had many, many, many fit problems with the DL650A. If Caribou had decided to make there own rack for the 2012 it would have been a very tough decision as Caribou racks have very good reviews as well.

This is how Violet looked when brand new:

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Damn, nice bike there.

Couple of us went and checked out the 2012 Adventure rig, the black one with the black cans / panniers.

I like the way it's rigged, but the cans were nothing special, I think I would go the route you went, get cans elsewhere for less dough, and set it up the way you want. Apologies for anyone that bought the black set up, it's a fine rig, really.

Felt very robust to sit upon, no taller to me than my KLR with a Sargent seat. That new Strom would make a great barn mate to the KLR. Each has it's purpose, a twin cyl would sure be nice on trips... and I think the Suzuki folk build a better bike as well, I had one of thier quads and a 4 stroke outboard they made, both trouble free.

~Butch Cassidy
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Damn, nice bike there.

Couple of us went and checked out the 2012 Adventure rig, the black one with the black cans / panniers.

I like the way it's rigged, but the cans were nothing special, I think I would go the route you went, get cans elsewhere for less dough, and set it up the way you want. Apologies for anyone that bought the black set up, it's a fine rig, really.

Felt very robust to sit upon, no taller to me than my KLR with a Sargent seat. That new Strom would make a great barn mate to the KLR. Each has it's purpose, a twin cyl would sure be nice on trips... and I think the Suzuki folk build a better bike as well, I had one of thier quads and a 4 stroke outboard they made, both trouble free.
I agree. The DL650A OEM boxes were quite flimsy and very, very wide.
Just a suggestion. If I were you, I would keep that KLR forever! It was a little tall for me, but that was one of my favorite bikes that I have ever owned. I used to tear up the dirt roads in the northern most parts of the the lower peninsula of Michigan with that thing.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
BeerIsGood

Mounting Instructions

Step 1: Open a beer.

Don't forget the air hole.

Step 2: Install the panniers.

Total width is just over 37.25 at the top of the lids.

Just over 36.5 from side to side

It always used to make me laugh when people would talk about how crappy the HT instructions are. I'm not laughing anymore.

BTW. If anyone has any clue how to install the Givi Z255 universal mounting plate on the HT top plate please fill me in as this is how the instructions look:

`
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Nice.

I was on board until you said you went to 36.5 inches.

36 is the cutoff for me.

36.5?

Now you have a fat arse.

I am of course just kidding.

Those cans actually very slimming, they look slenderish. That's a great bike, once again.

The powder coating looks like some serious stuff.

What are the circle-plug looking things in the can lids?

(your panniers, not your beer)

Are they cig socket plugs?

~Butch Cassidy
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Nice.

I was on board until you said you went to 36.5 inches.

36 is the cutoff for me.

36.5?

Now you have a fat arse.

I am of course just kidding.

Those cans actually very slimming, they look slenderish. That's a great bike, once again.

The powder coating looks like some serious stuff.

What are the circle-plug looking things in the can lids?

(your panniers, not your beer)

Are they cig socket plugs?

The circle-plug looking things are the Happy Trail lid locks.

Now if I can only figure out ow to mount the Givi bracket. It came with 6 bolts and only two nuts so I am assuming that only 2 bolts hold the bracket in place? Seams kinda week if thats the case.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
BeerIsGood

Finally figured out how to mount the Givi rack. There are only two recessed bolt slots so it appears that only two bolts are used to hold the thing. If you drill a hole anywhere to put more bolts, the height of the bolt head will interfere with case that is mounted on top. I think I will strap a couple of wire ties to it. They should be thin enough not to interfere with the case. All in all I would have to say that the Givi Z-255 Universal Mounting Rack is a PIECE OF SHIT. But I bought it, so I will use it until it breaks. Like Givi 45L case. Well built and very roomy. Pics follow:

Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
RossM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Can it be true?

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a symmetrical setup? I'm FAR from OCD but I just cant get past the lopsided look.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
BeerIsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossM View Post
Do my eyes deceive me or is that a symmetrical setup? I'm FAR from OCD but I just cant get past the lopsided look.
Yep. As symmetrical as it gets. Both side equal, true and true.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
rickroach
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I think i seen you this saterday at Marblemount i had the yamaha super tenere at the shell staion your bike did look ggggggggggggggood Rick
rickroach is offline   Reply With Quote