Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,894
I See Dead People

July 1, 2012

It is hotter than Hell in Colorado these days. If you pay attention to the news then you might be lead to believe it is so hot because the state is on fire. While we are in the beginning of the worst wildfire season in Colorado history: there have been hundreds of homes lost, thousands of acres burned and a few people killed, I'm glad to report that the whole state is absolutely not on fire.

If you have plans to come visit but are concerned about the fires and are rethinking that visit, please come stay for awhile. It's quite pretty here. Just don't burn anything!

I headed up into the hills this morning while it was still cool. It has been too long since I got out on the Tigger and played. Played Tag O Ramma that is. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...646566&page=98

I followed some favorite roads, 74 up to 103, to pick up the tag in Idaho Springs. No traffic, cool temps, excellent. Tag in possession, I stopped for breakfast at an old place named Jiggies. Jiggies was established in 1968 by a rum runner from Nova Scotia. Their breakfast burrito was mighty tasty but I couldn't finish the monster.

The hint for my hunted Tag was "Oh My God". For those of you that don't know that road it is a winding gravel road that connects Idaho Springs to Central City. Both towns were established in the gold rush of the late 1800's. There is evidence and ruins of that time everywhere you look north of Interstate 70. Oh My God road takes you through it at a much better pace. I've been on OMG dozens of times. Today was the first time I took the not so beaten path. I saw a right hand turn off the main road which turned out to be the best thing I could have done.

The GS rider in the distance was probably thinking something similar.

There are abandoned mines everywhere up there. I can't help but imagine what it might have been like back then.

One thing I know for sure is that traveling the old mining roads on my Tiger is much more fun than how they did it back in the day.

My right turn to adventure spat me out here:

Pewabic Mine Rd. I had an idea of where I was (somewhere around Nevadaville) but had never been to this area before. I crossed the road and ascended to the next chapter.

With a view this nice, you need to look twice.

Maybe 3 or 4 times...

Too bad I can't recall the name of the road. Good thing I remember how to get there because I will be back. It was a little on the rugged side to be sure. The Tigger ate it up. Those Heidenau K60's are the shiznit too.

I climbed up and down the rocky trail that lead to gradually smoother dirt and then into a neighborhood of houses, ultimately ending up at Franks.

I decided to pass on visiting Frank and took another right. Bald Mountain Lane.

Dead Miners and their families:

(sorry, yet another crappy iphone shot).

There are many infant graves up there. Those were hard times.

Nevada Lodge #4 A.F. & A.M. was one of Colorado's first Grand Lodges, chartered in 1861 as a Kansas Territory Lodge. A year later they surrendered their charter and became the Lodge they are still today. While Nevadaville is by most accounts a ghost town (population of 6), Lodge #4 still holds meetings the 2nd Saturday of each month.

Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )

Deano955 screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 02:39 PM
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #47
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Heading Home

7-1-2012 cont.

By the time I stopped at the Mason's Lodge, around noon or so, the cool temps were history. Much like Nevadaville.

Heading home down some more of my favorite twisty roads, roads that I can not identify for risk of them becoming too populated, I came upon a site that you just don't see much around here. Detroit, where I grew up, sure. But not little mountain towns outside of Denver.

Look at the paint on this!

As a kid, I had a 1966 LeMans that my dad and I worked on, turning it into a beauty. At first glance, this '64 GTO caused me to halt right in the middle of the road. I parked my bike and took a second look. While the body is a '64, that's about it. It has a modern GTO interior, suspension, brakes, etc. Too cool! I didn't get the chance to talk to the owner but I suspect this car is just a '64 body on the last generation, Corvette powered GTO. Nice orange Norton going by too!

You can see some of the other Detroit Iron reflected in that ultra deep orange paint. Do you see the subtle flames? Look again.

Like I said, old Detroit art is not that common around here. You can't swing a cat without hitting a Subaru, BMW, Audi or japanese SUV. This is some nice stuff right here.

Totally pumped I headed down the road. Great day today. See you out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #48
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,655
Nice pictures and cool cars Dean. Looks like a nice ride
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog* View Post
Nice pictures and cool cars Dean. Looks like a nice ride
Thanks Reddog. How's things in Michigan? I've not been home since 2007...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #50
Little Beau
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Atta Boy!

Nice write up Deano! That looks like a fun trip...
Little Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #51
Moyle
moyle

Oddometer: 29
wow

Great ride son. I miss all the adventure of Colorado riding but am grateful I can still ride the Lemon. I got blown off this morning. Stayed with him for a few miles but finally thought, what the heck am I doing. I was on the Ja and he pulled away on every straight.

Beautiful photos. I want that 55 Chevy sedan, please.
Moyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #52
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
..Great story/great photos

Deano, you're being too modest...your photos truly captured the essence and enjoyment of your ride to see your father! Your Ride Report was enjoyable to read and entertaining. I miss Tucson, AZ. I was stationed there @ Davis-Monthan AFB from ''70-'71. Rode my two-stroke Kawasaki up to Mt. Lemmon a bunch of times and for an even surreal experience, rode the dirt/rock road up the backside twice, with my wife aboard. Oh, I failed to mention, it was a 175cc Kawasaki Bushwacker. Thanks for posting and sharing your ride with us.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #53
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
Deano, you're being too modest...your photos truly captured the essence and enjoyment of your ride to see your father! Your Ride Report was enjoyable to read and entertaining. I miss Tucson, AZ. I was stationed there @ Davis-Monthan AFB from ''70-'71. Rode my two-stroke Kawasaki up to Mt. Lemmon a bunch of times and for an even surreal experience, rode the dirt/rock road up the backside twice, with my wife aboard. Oh, I failed to mention, it was a 175cc Kawasaki Bushwacker. Thanks for posting and sharing your ride with us.
Thanks for the kind words Coot. My dad has told me stories of the "back side" of Mt. Lemmon. I've never done it. Maybe someday...

Deano955 screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 09:32 PM
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #54
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyle View Post
Great ride son. I miss all the adventure of Colorado riding but am grateful I can still ride the Lemon. I got blown off this morning. Stayed with him for a few miles but finally thought, what the heck am I doing. I was on the Ja and he pulled away on every straight.

Beautiful photos. I want that 55 Chevy sedan, please.
Thank you sir! Nice shot there. You're probably getting used to being blown off now 'eh? Just kidding of course... Happy Birthday tomorrow!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #55
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Beau View Post
Nice write up Deano! That looks like a fun trip...
You would've liked this ride. Really...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #56
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Thanks Reddog. How's things in Michigan? I've not been home since 2007...
Still the same crappy place. You haven't missed a thing. We are strong into orange barrel season with high heat and humidity this summer.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #57
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog* View Post
Still the same crappy place. You haven't missed a thing. We are strong into orange barrel season with high heat and humidity this summer.
I hear ya. Barrel Season gets longer each year from what I hear. I'm heading out to Traverse City for a week end of July. Might make it back to D-town, might not. Kid sums it up for me...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #58
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Deano... Lived in Grand Rapids back in the 80's. My wife and I as newlyweds rode all over western and northern Michigan on an '83 Honda V45 Sabre. Great memories. Had an office in Dearborn. Worked in Traverse City often. Have been many places, but personally, rate western and northern Michigan in the summertime as a top 10 place. From Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Leelanau Peninsula, Grand Traverse Bay, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Mackinac... Daaang. Send me a postcard from Traverse City!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #59
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Deano... Lived in Grand Rapids back in the 80's. My wife and I as newlyweds rode all over western and northern Michigan on an '83 Honda V45 Sabre. Great memories. Had an office in Dearborn. Worked in Traverse City often. Have been many places, but personally, rate western and northern Michigan in the summertime as a top 10 place. From Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Leelanau Peninsula, Grand Traverse Bay, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Mackinac... Daaang. Send me a postcard from Traverse City!
Steve,

I knew we were kindred spirits but had no idea we were "neighbors". I left Michigan for good in 1987, moved to Lafayette, CO in '89. Been to all those great places in MI and can't agree more. Northern Michigan is just about the best place on Earth in the summertime. I'll PM you a pic or two in a couple of weeks.

BTW,
For anyone that's reading this and dreams of riding our great state, you've got to check out sfarson's book. It's a project I wish I could do myself but he did a better job than I could have.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #60
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Motorcycle.com 2012 Adventure Touring Comparo

It's been awhile but I've got a new story to tell...

5 riders, on 5 big bikes, from southern California to Moto-GP at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, camping in the Sierra's then back. Pics, links and blabber to ensue...

Cheers