User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Gopro vs Contour question

Leaving in 2.5 weeks for Alaska and my wife surprises me with a Gopro Hero 2. Unknown to her is that I ordered a Contour today. So in 2 weeks I need to figure out which camera, best mount, and how to operate it.

Here are the facts:

I have no video editing experience, shot the kids with VHS years ago. Either camera will have good enough quality for me. I want easy to operate, imagine mounting it to my helmet which will be Nolan N102 or full face depending on which bike. For woods riding, I don't see having the GP sticking out from the side or top of my helmet while ducking branches.

For Alaska, I see using it intermittently as interesting things come up while riding, and fun around camp.

If I open the GP, I can't return it so I won't be laying hands on it until it is decided. My impression of the GP is that it will be more difficult to operate while riding, and projects too much.

I like the iPhone app for the Contour to set up alignment and such easier.

On to the helmet, if I go with the Contour, where will it mount when using the Nolan?

Any input appreciated!
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Kiwi Bush Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I went for a V.I.O 1.5 about 18mths ago small easy to mount to the side of my helmet & it's handled a lot of hits that would have Munted a go pro or big bulky contour I've met quite a few people who have lost there go pros & contour's by having them ripped off somewhere down the track as well as snagging up on over hanging bush the V.I.O has a cable that connects to the hand held viewer inside my jacket so even if it gets ripped off it stays attached to me.Whatever model you get make sure you get a protective lens cover I didn't got in behind my mates 450 got sprayed with rocks & cracked the lens. Next model for me is the V.I.O HD version with a lens cover
Kiwi Bush Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Bush Rider View Post
I went for a V.I.O 1.5 about 18mths ago small easy to mount to the side of my helmet & it's handled a lot of hits that would have Munted a go pro or big bulky contour I've met quite a few people who have lost there go pros & contour's by having them ripped off somewhere down the track as well as snagging up on over hanging bush the V.I.O has a cable that connects to the hand held viewer inside my jacket so even if it gets ripped off it stays attached to me.Whatever model you get make sure you get a protective lens cover I didn't got in behind my mates 450 got sprayed with rocks & cracked the lens. Next model for me is the V.I.O HD version with a lens cover
Looks nice but too much $$$ for me.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
I can't speak to the GoPro other than I personally don't care for the teleitubbie look and I have heard it can be difficult to start recording and confirm that, I have two Contours one the GPS model the other a Roam. Both take great video and are super easy to start and stop recording they give a beep to let you know its on. ...both have AWFUL audio. I don't know what model Contour you bought, the newer ones allow for and external mic input...I would highly recommend using it if you want to hear anything other than deafening wind noise.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel...you can see what the contour video looks like

Offcamber screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 09:16 AM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Answered on the other forum, but will add here that I have the LCD BackPak so it's pretty easy for me to see that it is recording.

On the downside...The Hero cuts off after ~31 minutes (or hits the 2GB Filesystem limit?)

Either way, I lost the best parts of my last ride because the camera shut itself off. Meh...
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I've got both (well, 2 first gen gopros).

Here are my findings

Video quality: hands down goes to gopro; the automatic color profile has blown away any of the custom profiles I've tried with the contour. The video is sharper and fewer blown highlights.

Ease of use: contour - when I have my gopro helmet mounted, I just tilt my head to the side to see if the LED on the front is blinking. With a 170 degree FOV you don't have to be too careful with your aim.

Survivability: gopro, easily. I've already replaced one contour from a drop onto concrete. The Gopro's housing is just a tough beast. It makes the camera chubby, but it's a suit of armor - what's more important to you. On my contour, the front lens cover is plastic and gets quickly blasted by sand - it's replaceable with a replacement lens kit, but at additional cost. The gopro case is an incredibly hard glass.

Accessories: this is where I was surprised - before buying a camera, go price the accessories. Contour accessories are *much* more expensive!

What I've learned:
-The mounts that come with both are OK; the factory mounts for the GoPro feel more secure than the contour ones. That being said, I just ordered both cameras' respective 1/4" adapters and switched to RAM mounts and never looked back.

-Dropping either can dislodge the battery and will *possibly* corrupt the current file. Only happened once; dropped my helmet while running to check on my buddy post-accident. (he was ok, but I didn't get any video of the crash).

-Sound is mostly worthless on either; the new GoPro hero2 has a mic input, I think the contour+ does as well. If you really must have sound, that might be the way to go - toss the mic inside a tank bag or something to cut the wind noise.

-Use a safety tether - I had a gopro get knocked off once; it was fine once I found it :)

-----------

In summary, if video quality and durability is important to you, then get the GoPro - if ease of use and mounting close to your helmet is important to you, go Contour.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Answered on the other forum, but will add here that I have the LCD BackPak so it's pretty easy for me to see that it is recording.

On the downside...The Hero cuts off after ~31 minutes (or hits the 2GB Filesystem limit?)

Either way, I lost the best parts of my last ride because the camera shut itself off. Meh...
I dunno what you're experiencing, my gopros record indefinitely up to the 4gb fat32 file cut off, then start another file. I've only had it cut out due to the battery running down. I've modified my gopro case to take external power direct into my battery bacpac and it'll fill a 32 card without thinking about it. Is your firmware up to date?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
I dunno what you're experiencing, my gopros record indefinitely up to the 4gb fat32 file cut off, then start another file. I've only had it cut out due to the battery running down. I've modified my gopro case to take external power direct into my battery bacpac and it'll fill a 32 card without thinking about it. Is your firmware up to date?
All GoPro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRV4y4-Byw (on this ride I opted not to use any of the contour footage because it came out really greenish for some reason)

All Contour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cou90KWB6Vc (the footage makes the day look *really* overcast. I've found this to be fairly typical - I can do some color correction in post, but I use the contour largely as a safety camera due to the color quality, i.e. always running in case a cage does something stupid). It doesn't adjust well to going from bright to dark; you can set everything manually, but then you're set with that setting until you connect to a computer again.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
really great. go pro looks awesome. I also appreciate the info from others about the "brick-like" shape of the go pro... I was like why is it do clunky? (to protect it ya dork!), and will get safety strap too. I like your first one two... the windy road. I'm looking at go pro for up coming trip.. that quality sound is plenty good for what I'm needing it for, (not a dig, i just mean it looks as good as any video i see anywhere)

thanks!

via Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

no problem - note: my gopro video is from my first gen, the new hd hero 2 looks substantially better.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post

Something is wrong with your setup.. this should not be happening.

Other than that I agree 100% with what fierostetz said... gopro better video, tougher,,, contour easier to use. I have chosen the Contour to use more often now that I own both becuase of the ease of use, and the ease of editing latter on.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
All GoPro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRV4y4-Byw (on this ride I opted not to use any of the contour footage because it came out really greenish for some reason)

All Contour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cou90KWB6Vc (the footage makes the day look *really* overcast. I've found this to be fairly typical - I can do some color correction in post, but I use the contour largely as a safety camera due to the color quality, i.e. always running in case a cage does something stupid). It doesn't adjust well to going from bright to dark; you can set everything manually, but then you're set with that setting until you connect to a computer again.

Were those two videos shot on the same day? If so there is something wrong with your Contour....I have not found the Contour color to be an issue I have two diffrent cameras and the exposure is very close.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all your replies, the decision is made.

NO CAMERA!!!

Riding 12k miles in 30 days, camping, GPS, sattelite phone, and enjoying the ride will be enough for me, don't need any more complications!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
Thanks for all your replies, the decision is made.

NO CAMERA!!!

Riding 12k miles in 30 days, camping, GPS, sattelite phone, and enjoying the ride will be enough for me, don't need any more complications!

I hope you at least bring a still camera....but I totally can relate to your decision. Enjoy the trip!!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I hope you at least bring a still camera....but I totally can relate to your decision. Enjoy the trip!!
Oh yea, I have a Nikon D40 coming along.