Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
I'd rather have a slightly used (and farkled) F800GS than a brand new 650 for the same money.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,376
I've owned both the 800 and 650GS and for your purposes, I'd go with the 650 but test ride both and see which one turns your crank!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebirgekind View Post
Sending pm

There's a chance I'll be riding the Great Divide Route up that way to Banff this summer if you're up for some adventure then!

that would be very cool indeed
DW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I've owned both the 800 and 650GS and for your purposes, I'd go with the 650 but test ride both and see which one turns your crank!

I appreciate you comment seeing as how you have had both. Thank you. I do agree that right now the 650 suits my needs better..i'm just drawn a bit more the the 800 lol..
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
I got the dealer to swap out the seat for the low seat option- bob's your uncle ! The last thing I wanted was to pull over at the lights like a bad ass in my new bike and lay it down cos I couldn't hold it up. I'm shorter than you and here is what I do: scoot a tad forward when stooping, use the rear brake to complete the stop and maintain right leg on peg covering the rear brake. (i'm in 1st gear here mind you, clutch in) I can scoot a tad to the left and get my entire foot very solidly on the ground. That way I don't look like a complete twat tippy toeing on both legs. Now if I decide to stop in neutral then I reverse the posture described so I can kick it into first gear and am holding the front brake so the bike doesn't roll. Others might have other techniques but this works perfectly and I dont even think about it anymore. To get on or off- I use the side stand if I've got bags on or I have developed a leg over technique which is not hard after watching smaller guys than me get on their GSA's and realize that I'm a pansy. Best of luck !

this is the technique i was taught in my classes as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
DW99 OP
Adventurer

I have also read that the power delivery on the f800 is a bit more abrupt than the f650...any way to smooth that out for a novice rider?...other than time in the saddle lol
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Gebirgekind
Rockies

Oddometer: 6
Throttle

I've only really noticed the snatchy throttle in first gear during slow, technical riding, and with a little practice have just trained my wrist a bit better. It's not been an issue in commuting and backroad riding for me. There are a few threads here about it - and many fix it with a device like this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...atchy+throttle

You can also do a search for the Accelerator Module or Booster Plug - they all take a similar approach.

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear." - Aldo Leopold
Gebirgekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
DW99 OP
Adventurer

cool, thanks man...I just don't wanna be doing wheelies lol...
Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW99 View Post
I have also read that the power delivery on the f800 is a bit more abrupt than the f650...any way to smooth that out for a novice rider?...other than time in the saddle lol
You are starting to sound like a troll. I own one and have ridden both. You cannot tell them apart below 5k. Anyone that tells you that is not true is blowing smoke up your ass! Do you like having smoke blown up your ass?? If hype turns you on buy a 1200GSA. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
You are starting to sound like a troll. I own one and have ridden both. You cannot tell them apart below 5k. Anyone that tells you that is not true is blowing smoke up your ass! Do you like having smoke blown up your ass?? If hype turns you on buy a 1200GSA. GH
dude relax...sheesh...it has been stated in many reviews i have read that the f800 has a stronger throttle response than the f650gs...all i was asking for is some experiences with it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #26
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Hey if I may add my 2cts.

I passed my driving licence on a f658gs, then bought for my first bike the 650gs single, I didn't want to get too big too fast. I rode the single for 2 years now and I'm ready to upgrade. I considered the f658gs because I remember having a good time on it at the driving school. I never liked the colorscheme though. but then this year they came out with the new yellow and black scheme. anyway I test-rode them both and finally I prefer going with a f800gs. There is slighty more power, it looks tougher as you say and I think I can stay with it for a long long time before spending $$$ again (ok before that there will be the farkling ). I'm considering touring trough europe in the next couple of years and the eastern countrys have rather "poor" road conditions so I think I'm going with the right bike here.

anyway you'll have a lot of fun with either of them!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #27
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
If it can help:

My statistics:

-male
-6"0, appx 31-32 inch inseam
-155lbs no gear
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #28
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 515
Take the time to ride them both.

Sounds like you will be doing a lot of dirt road riding. If so, ditch the so called dual sport tires (i.e. tourances, anakee etc) they are worthless in mud. Get the Hidineau or similar. How ever if you will ride pavement most and do twisties with vigor then the dual sport tire work much better.
These tire changes. will most change the riding/performance character of either the F650 or F800.

The stock F800 has a smaller front sprocket so is quicker ( this change has more impact than the 14 hp at 8Krpm). If that performance is important, Putting a smaller front sprocket on the F650 is a $30 change you can do easily you self.

The dual disc of the F800 are eye candy only, actually a detriment as they add more unsung weight. The single disc of the f650 will put you into ABS mod at any time you want.

The F650 has moderately long travel suspension, certainly adequate for dirt roads. the longer travel of the F800 is important if you are jumping the bike, will be transiting big rocks, logs etc. (the stock skid plate is NOT adequate).

The 21 inch form wheel is clearly better in rough stuff, the spoke wheels are much tougher. These assets turn to detriments if you want to ride pave twisiets aggressively, here the stiffer cast wheel and wider tire of the F650 give you better control and pavement traction.

In the end I bought the F650 because it is a superior pavement bike. Does dirt roads fine. I like to flat foot it in the parking lot.

Heading out for alaska next week and put a set of Hideneau's on for better muddy road traction. Dalton here I come.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #29
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,050
The F650GS is a capable bike. With the money you save you can outfit the thing how you want.
A lot of F800's are nowhere near used to their capability.
Here are a pair of F650GS bikes (check the interesting graphics on the one on the right that belongs to my friend, mine is the one on the left) at over 13,500ft elevation on a rough rocky road in Mexico. The bike handles elevations well and can handle a lot more dirt roads than most people think. Mods include a an oil filter guard, headlight guard, home made taller windshield, and a set of crashbars, my friend only has the headlight guard and the taller windshield and Bark Busters. Try both bikes, and be serious about how much and what kind of off roading you will really be doing. The motor output is close to the same except at the very top end where the 800 has 14 more hp. Set it up well and the F650 will follow an F800 almost anywhere.
He runs Annakees and I use a matched set of Conti Trail Attacks.

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #30
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
My primary bike is a R1150GSA but I had a 2008 F650GS as second, i rode 20000km with is, i really enjoyed that bike, easy in twisty, easy on light off road, great for long ride and loaded, high MpG, nearly perfect and i did not care about the just 71HP because it was smooth enough and had enough torque in the low rpm.
However i did change it for a Trophy which i found beautiful. I had to lower it because i am only 30" inseam but however after 8000km in 6 months, i am thinking of swapping back to a F650GS!!
The reasons:
F800GS, vibrates to much, which is too uncomfortable especially at hands level during long rides at highway speed.
Even if having the exact same seat than the one i had on the 650, i am much more uncomfortable during long rides (and very soon)
It it less efficiant in the very twisty roads (70% of my usage)
You much more feel the weight when loaded, because its higher.

Overall i would say, the 21" front wheel does not help on road even knowing it is trully better off road, vibrations on handlebar, pegs and seat is a pain, and the height (even reduced 1") make the weith to high when loaded.

So as i fianlly do not spend more time off road with the Trophy i really think to switch back to a F650GS, the black and yellow, of course

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote