Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #46
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Never heard that before. One of my riding buddies bought her F650GS Twin 5'5" if that / 120" and had it on a multiple day camping / touring trips (on/off road) the week after. It's the attitude of the rider that comes into bear here. Ive had guy and gal friends go straight into the 1200 GS realm as a first bike w ZERO experience. Bottom line, pick the bike, get lessons if you feel you need to and get after it. If its a bike you love but too tall...lower it. That is the beauty of BMW w/the lower seat/link/options. Cheers.

thanks nomad, good info
DW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 888
I have a mate who just bought an F8 after having a 650 single, he is about 5'10". He has already dropped it twice because of the height, and he hasn't had it off the tar yet.
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #48
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
That is what happens when people decide to run before they learn to walk! I think the OP would be better off with the F650 but I think somehow he thinks it will be looked upon as a girls bike. The 800 owners and posers act like it is somehow inferior to the 800. At 58 years old I am comfortable in my own skin. I do understand that younger people are more concerned about how they look than what they ride. I bought my first bike in 1969. For my use the F650GS serves me well. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #49
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
That is what happens when people decide to run before they learn to walk! I think the OP would be better off with the F650 but I think somehow he thinks it will be looked upon as a girls bike. The 800 owners and posers act like it is somehow inferior to the 800. At 58 years old I am comfortable in my own skin. I do understand that younger people are more concerned about how they look than what they ride. I bought my first bike in 1969. For my use the F650GS serves me well. GH
im not worried about it being a girls bike at all....sex of the ride doesn't matter to me at all...what i am worried about is having the wrong bike for the things i intend to do with it...yes right now it will be mostly paved/light dirt...but i do plan to do the utah back country route as well as the washingtom route, lots in idaho and montana and alberta and if the 650 will be overwhelmed by those places then i don't want to make that purchase and be undergunned next year....however, if the f650 can handle thouse routes then i am more than happy to go with the 650
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Other comments:

I took it in for it's service and fluids flush and then took it out for a couple of hours.

I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face the entire time.

This bike is probably one of the most understated bikes I've ever seen.

First off, I'm no stranger to BMW Bikes.

I have 5 of 'em and can ride any model I want any time I want.

I've always seen the F650GS but I've never ridden one as I thought it was just a weakling F800GS.

No NO NO!

That bike is amazing and quite frankly, I'm now seriously in the market for one too.

First off, it's a heck of a lot smoother than an F800 GS. Even when pushing it, the bike does not get the buzzy feeling the F800's do.

It's got crazy lowend torque. I'm not sure if it's the tuning, gearing (I know the front sprocket is 1 tooth bigger on the 650), or what, but this bike off the line has got tons of muscle. On the freeway, it's also quite strong. I seem to run at speeds with a lower RPM than my F800ST.

This bike also improves the already impressive gas mileage of the F800 series. Lastly, with the low suspension/Low seat, my 5'07' GF can easily and confidently get her feet down.

I'm 6'04. While riding the low-seat kind bugged after about 2 hrs, but I had plenty of legroom (34" Inseam).

I still can't get over this superb power delivery.

Once one gets past the imbecilic 'Bigger is Better' mindset, it becomes clear that bigger is NOT always better and smaller can be much better.

Braking is strong and precise. I did some testing on quick braking and panic braking and found the bike to perform very well and confidently.

I do a combination of serious commuting (SoCal) and long-Distance riding (400-600 miles a day). This bike is quite perfect for both! Light and nimble, yet able to handle a long haul with no effort.

Seriously, I could give up 3-4 bikes and replace it with just this. I may just to that too!

For women, I see the low suspension/low seat versions as an awesome choice! It far outperforms the G-series singles and with it's seat being a bit narrower, it is actually a better fit for those who are less tall.

For those who are skeptical.... I have ridden the F800GS, alot. I have an F800ST. I also have an R1150RT-P, R1150 GS, and 2x k1200RS. I've ridden and really enjoy the R1200 RT, K1600 GT, etc.

Just there's something about this bike where everything is nearly perfect!
Interesting comments (above). I own an '09 R1200GS, an '09 KLR650 with a lot of good mods, and an '11 F650GS twin. I keep the KLR in Arizona and like it a lot for dirt roads and shorter trips. The R12GS and the F658 are in CA and I use them for commuting and for long distance trips, moto camping, etc. I like all three bikes but gotta say, that F658 is really nice. I decided to upgrade it's suspension with Ricor intiminators in the forks and a Ricor IAS shock in the rear and wow! What an improvement!! I kept OEM height and the bike is just really fun to ride anywhere. With TKC-80's it will go about anywhere I want to. I too think the F658 is kind of a sleeper and often does not get the recognition it deserves.
I completely concur with your sentiments. Having owned an F800S, F800GS, and F650GS Twin, I think the F650GS Twin was probably the most fun of the bunch. Additionally, I worked at a European motorcycle dealership for the better part of a decade and was able to ride just about anything I wanted. The F650GS Twin ranks right up at the top.

I think if more people tossed a leg over it and went out to play for a bit on the bike, it would sell at a much higher clip. It is truly an underrated bike and a real gem.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #51
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 830
What else?

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #52
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW99 View Post
im not worried about it being a girls bike at all....sex of the ride doesn't matter to me at all...what i am worried about is having the wrong bike for the things i intend to do with it...yes right now it will be mostly paved/light dirt...but i do plan to do the utah back country route as well as the washingtom route, lots in idaho and montana and alberta and if the 650 will be overwhelmed by those places then i don't want to make that purchase and be undergunned next year....however, if the f650 can handle thouse routes then i am more than happy to go with the 650
They'll both handle it just fine. The upgrades on the F800 are just nice to have's, none of it is necessary. But, so is the upgrade from say a DR650 to the F658! You don't need the 800cc twin and all the fancy Bimmer running gear, but it's nice to have it :)
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #53
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
They'll both handle it just fine. The upgrades on the F800 are just nice to have's, none of it is necessary. But, so is the upgrade from say a DR650 to the F658! You don't need the 800cc twin and all the fancy Bimmer running gear, but it's nice to have it :)

good points, thank you for that answer.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #54
veloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Since you used to ride dirt bikes, you are not the typical beginner.
However I don't think the f800gs is a forgiving beginners bike for the following reasons:

It is very tall, and heavy.
It is harder to turn at higher speeds due to the larger wheels (and other factors).
The throttle is somewhat sensitive. Engine braking on a 800cc bike is significant (not bad though, but more than a 250)
lots of brake dive due to weight, soft long travel suspension and dual discs.
It is very tall.
It revs quickly, so you need to match engine speed/gear/moving speed well.
The steering is easy, and light so small inputs are very noticeable.
It is expensive for a beginners bike.
Basically it is a very intimidating bike, and many of its features make it very appealing to an experienced rider, but a handful for a beginner.

Once you have some miles under your belt, the F800 is an absolute joy to ride. Depending on how confident you are, and cautious, the F800 could make a good bike for you once you learn to handle it, but learning basic motorcycle handling is best done on a smaller bike.

I just got a KLX250S as well, and this bike is a hoot to ride. I really wish I started on one of these. I don't think there is a better bike to start on than a 250 enduro.

Best advice would be to go to a dealer, and sit on, or test ride the different bikes. I think almost every beginner will drop their bike at some point. The f800 has further to drop than other bikes because of its height.

Don't discount a 250. I read somewhere that your first bike doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be your dream bike.

Get a 250, or a 650 single, ride that for a bit sell it, then go buy the F800, rather than getting the 650 twin.
veloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #55
Dirt Junkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
One more reason to get a 800 and not a 650

Dirt Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #56
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Junkie View Post
One more reason to get a 800 and not a 650
It's a women only TEST RIDE..

We've gone through this already with a now defunct thread.. let's not start this crap again.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
If you want to be super macho get an HD chopper or a 160 mph sports bike.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #58
PatoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
If you want to be super macho get an HD chopper or a 160 mph sports bike.
PatoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #59
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I've been asking questions about the 650 twin also, and have dreams of riding similar routs. What someone got me to thinking about is what will I ride 95% of the time?? For me it will be various roads, some in better shape then others, but roads all the same.

So what to do for those rougher rides, the WABDR, UTBDR?? Rent the bike you need for those, and buy the bike you will use for the day to day and weekend rides. For some that is one in the same, for me it is not. The more street friendly 650 twin is the ride I'll use 90%+ of the time.

Just my thoughts
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #60
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
This is a no brainer - get the 800. It's better, and only a few shekels more. Get the low seat and you'll be fine. You only need one foot on the ground anyways, as the 5'2" female MSF teacher in Santa Monica proudly shows on her 800.