Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Zumo 660LM - giving me incorrect routes

Hi guys, this is my first post, but I have gotten a lot of useful information from the forum. I hope someone can help me.

Has anyone else had issues with the Zumo 660LM? It's a new unit. I have the current software, and the current map installed, and I've carefully made sure not to have any funky settings or preferences....

Just testing it out around town and shorter road trips, it's wrong 80% of the time (meaning, it sends me on inefficient, time-sucking routes, with no logic). I've set it to fastest route (not shortest distance) with no avoidances. A few times it sent me in the opposite direction of where I needed to go. It's adding at least 30% to my travel time, and sometimes taking me on routes that would double or triple my travel time.

I bought it to use on a 4000 mile road trip (leaving in 10 days - from Virginia to Austin TX for the Moto GP and back) and I fear I will be better served by my iPhone. I bought it for use in rural areas with no signal and also to help find FRs that I don't already know about. I have no confidence that the thing would get me where I want to go.

This is my first GPS unit and I might be missing something really basic. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
mcmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,996
Try setting your Transportation Mode to Automobile instead of Motorcycle.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
pwlindo
I can do this!

Oddometer: 156
I am having a similar problem. Did a test run with the 660 yesterday into New York City from CT and got routed onto city streets instead of highways. I am in Automobile mode with all Avoidances disabled. Maybe it's just a city thing.

I did a test and found that the default Basecamp and default Mapsource routings were different from the 660 routing. I thought they would be the same.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

If you set your Navigation Calculation Method to Shortest Distance with no Avoidances, I expect that you would get a lot of minor roads since the Interstate is seldom the shortest distance. If you do have Faster Time selected, then I would suggest Avoiding minor roads.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
pwlindo
I can do this!

Oddometer: 156
I do have Faster Time selected and there is no avoidance for minor roads only, U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic (but I don't have traffic info), Ferries, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads and Seasonal Closures.

It's a mystery.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

Yes, that's exactly what is happening with mine. It's sending me on surface roads when the interstate and big highways are light years quicker. I have it set to "fastest route" not "shortest distance" and no avoidances.

I spoke to Garmin support today and they also suggested putting it in auto mode instead of motorcycle, and I will do that on my way home, but if it's set to fastest route, why would it matter if you are on a bike or in a car?

I did get a map update through Garmin Express (the current version is 2015.30, not 2015.10 which was what was installed on mine). I'll see if it's any different on the way home.

Gah!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Sorry, I was still thinking about BaseCamp when I said "minor roads". Try setting Avoid U-turns and see what happens. If you still get the same routing, I would suggest preforming a Master Reset.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlindo View Post
I am having a similar problem. Did a test run with the 660 yesterday into New York City from CT and got routed onto city streets instead of highways. I am in Automobile mode with all Avoidances disabled. Maybe it's just a city thing.

I did a test and found that the default Basecamp and default Mapsource routings were different from the 660 routing. I thought they would be the same.
BTW - it's not just a city thing. I went way out in the boonies yesterday and it squarely sent me in the wrong direction. I only went about 5 miles before double checking on my phone and I was headed 180 from where I needed to be going.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,320
Where is it that you are using the unit? State/City, etc.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

I'm in Richmond VA. Appreciate the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #11
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
It's a bit of a longshot but the apparent fault in navigation may lie in the maps (possibly corrupted in some way?). It might be worth loading a routable OSM map on your SD card and seeing if that performs properly.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:25 AM   #12
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmolly View Post
, and the current map installed, and I've carefully made sure not to have any funky settings or preferences....

Thanks in advance!
which map have you installed.Which maps do you have active?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
It's a bit of a longshot but the apparent fault in navigation may lie in the maps (possibly corrupted in some way?). It might be worth loading a routable OSM map on your SD card and seeing if that performs properly.
Hey Chris, thanks for the tip on the OSM maps. I didn't know those even existed. I will try that out this weekend and see if it helps.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
mcmolly OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
which map have you installed.Which maps do you have active?
I have US & Canada 2015.30 installed, which is the current map according to Garmin support. Although I just logged in to Garmin Express this morning and I see they have a new version 2015.40 (must have been released today or yesterday).
Old 03-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #15
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmolly View Post
Hey Chris, thanks for the tip on the OSM maps. I didn't know those even existed. I will try that out this weekend and see if it helps.

Can be found here. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/