Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
trampaslake OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
The old conundrum

The old Spot/inReach conundrum. The "I don't want to fall on it, but how do I get to it when I'm lying 10 feet from my bike with a broken femur?" question.

Where do y'all carry yours?
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
The old Spot/inReach conundrum. The "I don't want to fall on it, but how do I get to it when I'm lying 10 feet from my bike with a broken femur?" question.
When it's on your person, how do you do as the instructions say and give it a "full view of the sky"? The only place that it could go while riding is on the top of your helmet, otherwise 50% or more of the sky is blocked by your body, especially if the face (antenna) is pointing sideways. And if you're laying on top of it after a crash, how is it going to get the tracking signal out? And how do you check the lights to see it's on if it's in your pocket? Which is more likely in a crash, a broken femur or knocked out completely or otherwise unable to move at all, including unable to press the SOS button? For every reason to carry it on your person, there is an equally compelling reason not to.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,388
They need a remote pocket activator, like the "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad has a pendant that you wear around your neck or something. Or the "Clapper" clap off, clap on, the Clapper.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
trampaslake OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree with all of those questions, and to your conclusion.

That's why I'm asking where you carry yours and how did you come to that decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
When it's on your person, how do you do as the instructions say and give it a "full view of the sky"? The only place that it could go while riding is on the top of your helmet, otherwise 50% or more of the sky is blocked by your body, especially if the face (antenna) is pointing sideways. And if you're laying on top of it after a crash, how is it going to get the tracking signal out? And how do you check the lights to see it's on if it's in your pocket? Which is more likely in a crash, a broken femur or knocked out completely or otherwise unable to move at all, including unable to press the SOS button? For every reason to carry it on your person, there is an equally compelling reason not to.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
Previous SPOT 1 and 2 and now first gen InReach go in tankbag.

The first gen InReach is a small cube and would cause significant blunt trauma if you landed on it.

SPOT always went in tank bag to give it best antenna signal and keep out of direct vision of the overly curious.I have a Powered RKA tankbag,so all electronics and the bag come off with one plug and a couple snap buckles.

SPOT 2 and 3 and newest InReach could go in jacket pocket,or for me in pocket of hydration pack.Their profiles are small enough to likely cause you minimal damage,if you landed on them.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
trampaslake OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Previous SPOT 1 and 2 and now first gen InReach go in tankbag.

The first gen InReach is a small cube and would cause significant blunt trauma if you landed on it.

SPOT always went in tank bag to give it best antenna signal and keep out of direct vision of the overly curious.I have a Powered RKA tankbag,so all electronics and the bag come off with one plug and a couple snap buckles.

SPOT 2 and 3 and newest InReach could go in jacket pocket,or for me in pocket of hydration pack.Their profiles are small enough to likely cause you minimal damage,if you landed on them.

JR356
Yeah I agree about the blunt trauma part. I've got the smartphone version of the inReach and it's pretty hefty.

The best compromise I can come up with is carrying my phone on my persons. It will still connect with the inReach on the bike if I'm away from the bike.

All of this is assuming that the iPhone survives a crash intact though.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
I run a Spot 2 and it stays in my jacket sleeve pocket on my R2P. Last Feb I low sided and broke my collar bone and needed help getting out. A fellow rider had a sat phone so he called buddies of mine and via the Spot where am I link they were able to track me down and retrieve me and the bike. I lowsided onto the side the Spot was on. I do not know how hard it hit, but it seems to be a robust unit. The spot worked until I turned it off when I was at home.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
I keep my inReach SE in my hip-pack. Only take it out to charge it and turn it on/off. I use my iPhone to send/read messages and start/change Tracking settings. I've traveled thousands of miles with it and never lost a tracking point or an incoming/outgoing message. It has very good antennas. Had several off bike excursions and it's always been with me. If you're unconscious makes no difference one way or the other except they might find you instead of your bike.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote