ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant
 
Jacl-Kampuchea's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: I see Drunk People.
Oddometer: 687
White Lithium Grease for Chains?

I used a tin of aerosol lithium grease by 3 in 1 on my last trip.

The stuff is made specially for use on chain/cog/sprocket systems, if the can is to be believed.

Thing is, I never saw any traces of it after half an hour on unsealed roads, and am thinking it's pretty shit. . . I normally use burnt engine oil.

Opinions?
__________________
CambodiaYeah!
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant
 
Jacl-Kampuchea's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: I see Drunk People.
Oddometer: 687
This stuff:

__________________
CambodiaYeah!
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer
 
divimon2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Oddometer: 575
I may try it, not having any luck with the stuff I use.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,919
I just use regular wheel bearing grease.
I idle the bike and put it into second gear on the stand.
Then just pump it on the inside of the chain.
Works quite well, the chain still had grease on it after over 200 miles and looked well lubed.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
I used a tin of aerosol lithium grease by 3 in 1 on my last trip.

The stuff is made specially for use on chain/cog/sprocket systems, if the can is to be believed.

Thing is, I never saw any traces of it after half an hour on unsealed roads, and am thinking it's pretty shit. . . I normally use burnt engine oil.

Opinions?
that white stuff flings off in seconds, just like the white powder "dry" stuff...it sucks

I have used many things and your last sentence made me REALLY think

I am recycling my old engine oil with little miles 500 or so on my xr600

I want to use my old oil on my chain...

whats your technique? do you soak the chains or just slap it on

I used to for a while use SMOKE STOP or thick gear oil but it became quite tacky like foam filter oil, it worked though but atrracted too much crap...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I just use regular wheel bearing grease.
I idle the bike and put it into second gear on the stand.
Then just pump it on the inside of the chain.
Works quite well, the chain still had grease on it after over 200 miles and looked well lubed.

I also was thinking about light grease too...like you its the inside you lube not the outside

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant
 
Jacl-Kampuchea's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: I see Drunk People.
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
that white stuff flings off in seconds, just like the white powder "dry" stuff...it sucks



I want to use my old oil on my chain...

whats your technique? do you soak the chains or just slap it on
I use one of the pump action oil cans, like you may lube a door hinge with.

I have a friend hold the back wheel off the ground on the stand and I apply it while spinning the wheel around and around. Flings off a little, but my bikes get filthy anyhow.
__________________
CambodiaYeah!
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
thanks man

got a race tomorrow wil try out the old oil method

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,232
my opinion:

if you are running a sealed chain (o-ring, x-ring, etc.), all you are doing by putting grease or oil on it is making dirt stick to it which will probably wear it out faster.

all the lube the chain will ever need is sealed inside it at the factory. putting lube on the outside does no good and can do harm by attracting and retaining dirt.

spray it with WD-40 after washing to displace the water to prevent surface rust and call it good.

[/opinion]
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
my opinion:

if you are running a sealed chain (o-ring, x-ring, etc.), all you are doing by putting grease or oil on it is making dirt stick to it which will probably wear it out faster.

all the lube the chain will ever need is sealed inside it at the factory. putting lube on the outside does no good and can do harm by attracting and retaining dirt.

spray it with WD-40 after washing to displace the water to prevent surface rust and call it good.

[/opinion]

I specifically use non oring chains, standard did roller, exra tensile strength, for one it has less rolling resistance and I buy in bulk and replace every 4-5 months or so

keeps my sprockets nice...

for orings your just have to wipe down and keep clean, you are right for oring xrings you do not under any circumstance want to put on any lube that will become tacky

in fact no lube is a standard when riding on sand

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Or,you could use a chain wax built just for o-ring chains,engine oil on a chain is straight out of the mid 60's but what ever floats your boat. O-ring chains do indeed have grease injected in them but I have seen chains rust from the outside in if not lubed,the outer rollers and sprockets still like some good lube on them.
WD-40 is a good water dispersant and works great on a chain after washing it,the water just sheds right off.
I dont use much lube on dirt bike chains as it does mainly attract dirt.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I specifically use non oring chains, standard did roller, exra tensile strength, for one it has less rolling resistance and I buy in bulk and replace every 4-5 months or so

keeps my sprockets nice...

for orings your just have to wipe down and keep clean, you are right for oring xrings you do not under any circumstance want to put on any lube that will become tacky

in fact no lube is a standard when riding on sand

Is that really more cost and energy efficient then just using a nice quiet o-ring chain that lasts 20,000 miles or more? I dont think I would notice less rolling resistance on my 1200 Triumph. The rear sprocket on my 1200 still looked new after 20,000 miles,chain was fried though and everything gets replaced at once.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Is that really more cost and energy efficient then just using a nice quiet o-ring chain that lasts 20,000 miles or more? I dont think I would notice less rolling resistance on my 1200 Triumph. The rear sprocket on my 1200 still looked new after 20,000 miles,chain was fried though and everything gets replaced at once.

it is

at least for me down here, its a no brainer...why

a good xring chains costs over $300

did roller chains(straight out of the last century ajaja) cost $40 a chain....

span that over a year...thats 3 chains a year or so...maybe 4....

My last oring chain on my klr lasted all of 10k miles...just wd40 to keep it clean...it has to do I guess with where I ride...we ride sand, beaches, etc,,,

no chain lasts 20k in those conditions unless you are just farting around...

not trying to be "old school" it just works for me

you are right on one poiny though...rolling resistance is not noted on a 100bhp bike, yes on a 40bhp bike ladden with mud, or crap etc...

cheers

P.S. one day I would just like a set and forget chain...but I do equal maintence to riding ratio so its a daily affair and costs me nothing...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant
 
Jacl-Kampuchea's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: I see Drunk People.
Oddometer: 687
Something my mechanic swears by is that o ring chains dry out in four or five months in this climate ( extremely hot and extremely humid).

Then again he also swears by the white lithium grease and reckons it just changes colour. On that, I disagree, though he got 30k out of his last chain and sprocket.
__________________
CambodiaYeah!
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,341
Does anyone remember the big round tins off chain grease you could get many years ago before Oring chains ?

We would take our chains off the bike and wash them in gasoline then coil it in the tin of grease then heat the whole thing on Mum's oven when she wasn't home , you would take it up to a simmer and it would really grease that chain so well.

Then hook a wire to the hot chain and hang it above the tin so the excess would fall back in the tin.
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014