Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I use motoroil in a handsoap-dispenser. Use it for my x-ring chain when commuting, try to not start a dirtride with a soaky greased chain.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
why not use real motorcycle chain oil it is cheap or even better the dupont teflon wax chain lube ($4.95) at walmart or lowes.

Used motor oil is a known carcinogen btw.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Does anyone remember the big round tins off chain grease you could get many years ago before Oring chains ?

We would take our chains off the bike and wash them in gasoline then coil it in the tin of grease then heat the whole thing on Mum's oven when she wasn't home , you would take it up to a simmer and it would really grease that chain so well.

Then hook a wire to the hot chain and hang it above the tin so the excess would fall back in the tin.

works great especially on bicycle chains that spin slower...

a combination of wax and oil melted to a perfect consistency that seeps into the rollers and pins(where you need the lube) and then airdried

in any case

to each their own

p,s, yeah dirty oil is a known carcinogen, so wear gloves!
do you smoke?
have you ever had second hand smoke?
are you imune to carbon soot from cars in traffic?
have you ever walked on a street where something was being burned like a barbacue?
have you ever burned popcorn in the microwave and said a screw it?

if you answer no to any of these you are pure...

cheers dudes
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I like the DuPont Multi Use or whatever it's called. Cheap and lasts a long time. Sort of does double duty on cleaning and lubing if the chain isn't too nasty.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunghole View Post
I like the DuPont Multi Use or whatever it's called. Cheap and lasts a long time. Sort of does double duty on cleaning and lubing if the chain isn't too nasty.
x2

and

Multi also comes in a squeeze bottle, which is convenient for traveling.

Reviews are good, and I have used for 5 years. Have no evidence that it is better than what anyone else uses, but it's cheap and convenient, and as far as I can tell, effective.

Review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

jon_l screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 04:19 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunghole View Post

yeah it is good stuff but some people like to do things the wrong way and swear it is right lol

Well I am off to eat my asbestos sandwich and wash it down with some used motor oil since all that scientific data is moot since some guy on the internet said so.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Does anyone remember the big round tins off chain grease you could get many years ago before Oring chains ?

We would take our chains off the bike and wash them in gasoline then coil it in the tin of grease then heat the whole thing on Mum's oven when she wasn't home , you would take it up to a simmer and it would really grease that chain so well.

Then hook a wire to the hot chain and hang it above the tin so the excess would fall back in the tin.
I remember doing that, and using Huberd's Shoe Grease on our linesmen boots with the solid soles. Riding took a lot more work in those days.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 358
lube the o-rings

My humble opinion.
There are two main areas of friction:
1: The chain links themselves. In an o-ring chain this is done by the grease that is kept in place by the o-rings.
What does need lubrication here is the o-ring itself. On the outside it wears against the steel side of the link. A little oil means that the o-ring will not wear out as quickly. The o-ring will last longer and the grease will stay in place.
2: Chain links against sprockets: Not sure what is best here. As you guys say, to much sticky oil and you get grit sticking to the pins and war the sprockets quicker.

I think the answer is light lube of o-rings only.

I am currently using renthal chain lube (squeeze bottle). I have also used chain bar lube which has very similar properties and a fraction of the cost. For pure road riding a chain lube system is good. In that case use a light oil which keeps the o-rings wet and flings off carrying grime. i prefer a little of the renthal myself.

Good luck.

Rearding 0-rings wearing against link side: One of the chain lube manufacturers (Hawke Oiler I think) had a good article on their site regarding chain lube. They, of course, push for good o-ring lubrication. They suggested the following experiment to show the benefits of a wet o-ring:
Stick back tyre of your bike on a steel plate. rev bike, drop clutch - result is smoke and tyre wear.
Put some oil on the plate and repeat above - result is tyre slips. No smoke, no tyre wear.
So... lubrcate o-rings.

I ran an oiler for some years on various adventure bikes. I did not find it any better than manual lubrication.
If I was really worried about chain wear i would have kept my R1200GS.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #24
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I've just been using a leftover bottle of Royal Purple diff fluid on my chains. Soak a clean shop rag with the oil, and run it over the chain. I figure it's an o-ring chain so it really is just to keep the exterior rust at bay, and it doesn't matter much what I use...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 347
I don't use O ring chains in my bike but for lubing my chain (428H) I use SAE 90 grade oil (Transmission oil), and for cleaning it before putting any oil in it I use a little piece of cloth with diesel fuel on it (Please, do not even try to do that with a gear on and the bike on its stand, many people have injured and had to have the last part of they fingers amputated just because of that)

I am fine with it because, as it is less fluid than regular used engine oil it doesn't goes away of the chain after 2 or 3 Km of riding.

Greetings from Argentina!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I don't use O ring chains in my bike but for lubing my chain (428H) I use SAE 90 grade oil (Transmission oil), and for cleaning it before putting any oil in it I use a little piece of cloth with diesel fuel on it (Please, do not even try to do that with a gear on and the bike on its stand, many people have injured and had to have the last part of they fingers amputated just because of that)

I am fine with it because, as it is less fluid than regular used engine oil it doesn't goes away of the chain after 2 or 3 Km of riding.

Greetings from Argentina!
exacto leo! muy bien dicho!

hago casi lo mismo

THANKS LEO...other countries use this method a lot...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
exacto leo! muy bien dicho!

hago casi lo mismo

THANKS LEO...other countries use this method a lot...

cheers
In California, I used a rag to wipe the chain down perhaps a plastic bristle brush first if the chain is really grimey, then triflo or equal Teflon spray for the rust and to keep the o rings oiled up.
In Ecuador I use diesel on a ragto wipe it down and whatever the guy has wherever I stop to get it lubed. Used motor oil, gear oil, used unidentifiable mixture of oils, etc...
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,188
Pressure washer from sides followed by light penetrating oil with moly or sometimes dupont multi use. 10,500 mi X-Ring Regina on XR650L Flogged every minute.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Something my mechanic swears by is that o ring chains dry out in four or five months in this climate ( extremely hot and extremely humid).

Then again he also swears by the white lithium grease and reckons it just changes colour. On that, I disagree, though he got 30k out of his last chain and sprocket.
He would be about the only mechanic who swears that o-ring chains "dry out" in 4 or 5 months. Its his own personal wives tale. He may be pulling your crank also about getting 30K on any chain and sprocket regardless of lube. Some guys exaggerate wildly to prove a claim.
Ive used o-ring chains for many years,they wouldnt sell so well if they dried out.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #30
Jacl-Kampuchea OP
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
^

Yeah, I wasn't taking any of those claims as fact. Although, depending on the quality of a chain to begin with, I'd say it's certainly possible if unlikely.

30k on his chain I kind of believe, as I don't think I know anybody so anal about cleaning and lubing every hour when riding.

I have 10k on one chain and sprocket on my Honda. Chain is near done, sprockets seem OK.

I got 100 hours out of the last chain and sprockets on my KTM RFS, prompting the thread.