Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #31
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Justice Brothers makes the best lube I've tried.

http://justicebrothers.com/pages/pro..._specialty.htm
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
^

Yeah, I wasn't taking any of those claims as fact. Although, depending on the quality of a chain to begin with, I'd say it's certainly possible if unlikely.

30k on his chain I kind of believe, as I don't think I know anybody so anal about cleaning and lubing every hour when riding.

I have 10k on one chain and sprocket on my Honda. Chain is near done, sprockets seem OK.

I got 100 hours out of the last chain and sprockets on my KTM RFS, prompting the thread.
I had kinks so bad, even after cleaning the chain and maintaining correctly that I gave up on that oem chain on the klr...

Ill save up for a good chain one of these days, set it and forget it, and only wipe down...

pressures washer is a no no, on a motorcycle...even if you try to be carfeful you always do some damage

cheers

x2 on kerosene or deisel as the cleaning agent, NOT GASOLNE
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
He would be about the only mechanic who swears that o-ring chains "dry out" in 4 or 5 months. Its his own personal wives tale. He may be pulling your crank also about getting 30K on any chain and sprocket regardless of lube. Some guys exaggerate wildly to prove a claim.
Ive used o-ring chains for many years,they wouldnt sell so well if they dried out.
I have almost 26,000 miles on my OEM chain and sprockets. Chain maintenance done every 400-450 miles; clean well with brush and kerosene, wipe off excessive kerosene, spray on lithium grease (and that is 26,000 miles in a little over 3 years). Rear sprocket is due to be replaced at end of this season; rear sprocket just now beginning to show a little hook on the teeth. Chain still looks like new when cleaned and greased. Front sprocket-cant tell any wear on the sprocket; I am going to change it anyways when I change the rear sprocket.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote