Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Topo West 24K unlock???

Hello all,

Well, Last August I purchased a Etrex Legend HCX for a Jeep trip a couple days after. I bougt the GPS locally and they did not have any maps on DVD so, without checking first I bought the Topo West 24K map and downloaded to my device. After reading and reading I have found out that I should have waited and bought the DVD.

As of know, almost year later I still have not been able to use the map. I have bought a couple of different SD cards thinking that maybe they were not good enough. I download the map and it either cashes half way through the download or it goes to 100% then gives a "Parsing Error". Right now if I turn on the GPS it tells me that it can not unlock the maps.

I have messed with it a few times over the past year and get frustrated and put it away LOL. I got home early from work today and thought I would call Garmin support but they close early on Fridays. I am not in much of a hurry I guess.

When I go to my Garmin and go through the various steps it shows that I have downloaded the map but it does not show that I have it installed, and since I downloaded it I do not have an unlock code on the CD that does not exist.

I have read and search all over and am stuck, any ideas on how to proceed would be great.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
I'm going to bump this out of curiosity and to see what others have to say because I was under the impression Topo 24k was not locked.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Hello all,

Well, Last August I purchased a Etrex Legend HCX for a Jeep trip a couple days after. I bougt the GPS locally and they did not have any maps on DVD so, without checking first I bought the Topo West 24K map and downloaded to my device. After reading and reading I have found out that I should have waited and bought the DVD.

As of know, almost year later I still have not been able to use the map. I have bought a couple of different SD cards thinking that maybe they were not good enough. I download the map and it either cashes half way through the download or it goes to 100% then gives a "Parsing Error". Right now if I turn on the GPS it tells me that it can not unlock the maps.

I have messed with it a few times over the past year and get frustrated and put it away LOL. I got home early from work today and thought I would call Garmin support but they close early on Fridays. I am not in much of a hurry I guess.

When I go to my Garmin and go through the various steps it shows that I have downloaded the map but it does not show that I have it installed, and since I downloaded it I do not have an unlock code on the CD that does not exist.

I have read and search all over and am stuck, any ideas on how to proceed would be great.
Why have you waited so long, call Garmin Product Support.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
97wing
Wimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Topo 24k is not locked. I have Topo East 24k and it says in Mapsource "Not Lockable".

Can you view that mapset in Mapsource or Basecamp? If so, then use MapInstall to upload the maps.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is not viewable in map source. It will only download directly to the gps. Now when I turn on the gps it says that it can not unlock the maps. I don't know, will call Garmin some day when they are open and I am not at work.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Just a thought

I recently purchased the 24K West DVD and in my discussion with Garmin, they suggested I only try to feed my GPS (Zumo 450) the general broad area I need, and NOT the whole thing. I was able to feed it all of California though.

RZ Rob

Marginally relevant picture of Topo 24K as seen in Garmin's BaseCamp (successor to MapSource I believe)
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,418
Free Garmin-compatible topo maps are at

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

http://www.miscjunk.org/
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
It is not viewable in map source. It will only download directly to the gps. Now when I turn on the gps it says that it can not unlock the maps. I don't know, will call Garmin some day when they are open and I am not at work.
I almost got burned with that. The SD card and downloadable version can only go to one device, you can not load them on to your computer. The only way you can do so is to buy the CD/DVD version. It does say so on the Garmin download page (as a Garmin rep pointed out to me with my unhappy phone call) but it's burried in the background noise.
IdahoRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I understand that it can not be loaded on to the computer, found that out after I bought it. I can not even load it into the GPS. The GPS works great with free maps for now. Will buy the maps on DVD if I ever by another one. $100 mistake.