User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
The Orginal KTM "Penton" needs your help

Many of you know the KTM off road motorcycle was the dream of Mr. John Penton of Amherst, OH (Later in the 1970's they become KTM) John is an amazing guy and he really pioneered the idea of a light weight off road bike in the mid 1960's when everyone was racing BSA, Triumphs, and even Harley's off road. I joined the Penton Owners Group a few years ago and purchsed a 1974 250 hare scrambler, never could afford a good bike as a kid in the 1970's!
John is getting up in his years and recently Todd Huffman who produce the Motor Cross Files annouced he is trying to get funding to make the" John Penton Movie" in the next year.

This is how you can help!
Todd is trying to raise $250,000 in the next 30 days. He has set up an account on Kickstarter and you can log on and pledge any amount you wish. The Penton group is trying to get support from KTM so lets hope they help the project.
You can go to the Penton Owners Group web site and open the the forum and open the link for the John Penton Movie update and follow the link to Kickstarter.

I have talked with John a few times and he is a very sharp, and tough man. He won hundreds of off road races and even set the world record for riding from New York to Los Angles in 52hrs,11 minutes in June of 1959 on a BMW R-69.

John Penton is really an American hero and it is a wonderful opportunity for all in the motorcycle community to support this cause!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,840
Kickstarter is one great place to get venture $$$. One business had a goal of $250K in 30 days (IIRC) and they made that the first few HOURS the offering was on the site. I will check it out.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer

68delux, if you can create a link for everyone that would be great!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer

If fact if any one can help send this out on Facebook, twitter or even over a telephone that would be cool
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
For sure, I'd love to contribute. My Dad was a big time Class A enduro rider riding from 1953 to 1971. He competed with John many times and also bought his first Husky, a 1968 360 Cross, from John at High Point Imports. I wish I still had the owners manual with Mr. Penton's hand scratched note inside!
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
liftedlimo
PNW Stump Jumper

Oddometer: 58
Link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...by-lyle-lovett

The Video:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...get/video.html
'05 BMWDakar(sold)

liftedlimo screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 12:02 PM
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
I think if we show a lot of interest, big money will get behind it. By sending just $5 it will be the numbers that will kick it off. The quality of the film we get could depend on the numbers.

While riding my RT1 in the mid 70's Trail and Track magazine in Australia reported on these exotic creatures Jack Penton was importing to the states. They had air filters that breath through the frame at the steering head, Powerful motors, aluminum rims with lips to make them strong, and pins in these rims that stopped the tire from slipping. They looked like they were designed by riders for riding......... Blew my mind

The past is alive and well in Australia. At a recent event that drew 100 entries to a very remote location I had the pleasure of discussing Rokon Automatics with the man who invented that T&T magazine Derrik Pickard.

We called the late 60s early 70s the Summer of love, we had money, we had toys, we did not have HIV................

K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Blur
Beaned

Oddometer: 3,892
My dad's last race bike was a Penton Jackpiner. Sometime near the end of 1971, my mom informed him she was pregnant with my younger sister. He put up his bike and never raced again.

He kept the bike and I was always infatuated by it. He never would let me have a motorcycle of my own because of all the injury he saw when he raced. I used to sneak down to the basement, stare at the machine and try and figure out what each piece did.

I bugged him a lot, asking him to teach me how to ride. To shut me up, he told me we could fix it up when I could sit on the bike with both feet touching the ground.

I continued to sneak to the basement and would stand beside the bike to see if my legs were close to being long enough. They never seemed to grow fast enough!

When I was fourteen, I told my dad I thought it was time. Sure enough, my feet could touch the ground! It was time to fix the bike and learn to ride!!

That was almost 40 years ago. Without that Penton, I likely would have never spent all these years riding, becoming a motorcycle instructor and sharing my love of motorcycling with so many others over the years..... and I still think the sound of a Jackpiner is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

Thanks for letting us know about this!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
mx-files
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi All!

Todd Huffman here from Pipeline Digital Media and Producers of this soon to be movie (we hope) about John Penton.

Thanks so much for embracing this project and spreading the word. Like was mentioned above, in this social media world even a little amount $5, $10, etc. goes a long way if the numbers are there. I think we'll have some deeper pockets jumping in but still need the little ones.

Friends of friends of friends can make the difference to get this important project off the ground. If any of you have not read Ed Youngblood's book about John Penton...you have to. What a man!

Also, as the proud owner of a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere I can honestly say I'M HOOKED! As still a newbie, I look forward to many adventures on the new ride!

Here's the link again...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...by-lyle-lovett

Have a good weekend all!

Todd
mx-files is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
liftedlimo
PNW Stump Jumper

Oddometer: 58
Im in for $50, but I have 1 suggestion.

Todd, If you going to do DVD's I suggest you also do Blu-Rays. Blu-Rays are the current standard in video IMO, and can present a higher quality show, as you surely know. Anything less then a 1080p is going to disappoint me honestly since my day to day camera produces 1080p/24fps very well. 5.1 audio wouldn't be a bad choice where you could if you are recording the music specifically for the video.

I do not know how much more blu-ray licensing is, or the cost of the discs, nor the manufacturing costs, etc etc. But I do know I would rather pay 25 bucks for a blu-ray version of a show vs 10 for a dvd.

And yes, I am an home theater junkie
'05 BMWDakar(sold)
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
mx-files
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedlimo View Post
Im in for $50, but I have 1 suggestion.

Todd, If you going to do DVD's I suggest you also do Blu-Rays. Blu-Rays are the current standard in video IMO, and can present a higher quality show, as you surely know. Anything less then a 1080p is going to disappoint me honestly since my day to day camera produces 1080p/24fps very well. 5.1 audio wouldn't be a bad choice where you could if you are recording the music specifically for the video.

I do not know how much more blu-ray licensing is, or the cost of the discs, nor the manufacturing costs, etc etc. But I do know I would rather pay 25 bucks for a blu-ray version of a show vs 10 for a dvd.

And yes, I am an home theater junkie

Lifted,

Yeah, we have discussed the Blu-Ray option and more than likely we'll have both on this project.

Thanks for the support!

Todd
Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
My dad's last race bike was a Penton Jackpiner. Sometime near the end of 1971, my mom informed him she was pregnant with my younger sister. He put up his bike and never raced again.

He kept the bike and I was always infatuated by it. He never would let me have a motorcycle of my own because of all the injury he saw when he raced. I used to sneak down to the basement, stare at the machine and try and figure out what each piece did.

I bugged him a lot, asking him to teach me how to ride. To shut me up, he told me we could fix it up when I could sit on the bike with both feet touching the ground.

I continued to sneak to the basement and would stand beside the bike to see if my legs were close to being long enough. They never seemed to grow fast enough!

When I was fourteen, I told my dad I thought it was time. Sure enough, my feet could touch the ground! It was time to fix the bike and learn to ride!!

That was almost 40 years ago. Without that Penton, I likely would have never spent all these years riding, becoming a motorcycle instructor and sharing my love of motorcycling with so many others over the years..... and I still think the sound of a Jackpiner is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

Thanks for letting us know about this!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer

I just got back into town after a few days in NC on vacation. I am really glad to see some guys helping out. The good thing about contributing via Kickstarter is it only charges you if the Goal is hit, otherwise you will not be charged.
I was thinking if every guy on Orange crush just did $10 and each of you could get a buddy to do $10 it would really get the cash following. Heck thats less than one tank of gas.

If you have a KTM dealer in your town get the word out to them!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
mx-files
Adventurer

Thank Ken and everyone!

Yeah, the friend of the friend thing can work wonders in small amounts. We have reached out to KTM North America and Austria for help through their dealers. Heck, a handful of KTM dealers could make this happen with amounts they wouldn't even feel and we'd be there.

Also reaching out to Alpinestars and Acerbis in Italy.

Stay tuned for news via mainstream bike media!

Thanks!

Todd

P.S. Installed a "Screaming Banshee Horn" on my Super Tenere over the weekend. Wow! This wakes people up!

http://screaming-banshee.com/
Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer

I am going to contact Dirt Rider, Cycle World, Motorcycle Consumer News, Motorcyclist, and Areostich Friday hoping they will post on their e-news sites. If anyone has an other off road web sites please post a thread and a link to Kickstarter and the John Penton Movie thread.
If you have a KTM dealer in your area call them Friday and have them checkout the info and get involved! If John had not stuck with his dream of the perfect off road bike would could all be still riding 700 lbs cruisers in the dirt!

My old 1972 has all kinds of great features and to think John built that bike based upon all of the races he won and machines he broke. Penton also got Alpinstars involved in Motorcycle boots and they made Hi-Point gear. If you every get a chance to Read the book about John written by Ed Youngblood, you will really understand just how important John is and the vision he had to bring Penton bikes to the market.