Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
Jedi Apprentice OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Google Maps savings maps offline

Interested in using google maps on my iPhone for some trips this summer. Some of the areas I may travel through may have poor cell phone reception which means that I may not be able to access my maps and stay on the route I am interested in travelling on. Is there any way to save the map offline so that I can just go off GPS and not rely on 3G?

Here is a neat little trick I learned to cache maps, but you have to do it in 10 mile intervals, which will be painful!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...ut-wifi-2014-2

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
jobustrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Apprentice View Post
Interested in using google maps on my iPhone for some trips this summer. Some of the areas I may travel through may have poor cell phone reception which means that I may not be able to access my maps and stay on the route I am interested in travelling on. Is there any way to save the map offline so that I can just go off GPS and not rely on 3G?

Here is a neat little trick I learned to cache maps, but you have to do it in 10 mile intervals, which will be painful!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...ut-wifi-2014-2
Yeah, I think that they changed their system recently. It used to be that you had to select a square area of land that equated to approximately to around 86mb of data, and that you were only allowed to download a set number of these areas (8-10?). Now it seems as though they will allow you a seemingly endless amount of area, but it must be done in these small intervals. And the only way to check if you've indeed covered the area desired, is to put the device in airplane mode.

So on one hand, it's a better system allowing for more data caching. On the other hand, it sure is monotonous downloading these small square areas of data, one by one...
jobustrom is offline   Reply With Quote