Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
This could be posted under a JEEP blog, everyone I know including myself who has owned a Jeep drivin it hard off road has broke it. We then complain about Jeeps durability.
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
You're right. I'd have much rather paid out of pocket for the $4400 in repairs my extended warranty handled.
I am certainly glad you had a warranty, but it's a numbers game. The warranty companies are in it to make $$$, and they price the warranties comensurately, so on the whole you are better off not getting it. But it is true, you are rolling the dice, hoping the you're not one of the unlucky ones. The one and only time I got a warranty, it was for a Land Rover, and the damned thing didn't break once!
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #33
folmonty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
02 gsa

Didn't head to ADV today to bitch about my ride breaking just find out more about the problem specifically. Numbers tell a story. I'll most likely fix it and hope for the best. Don't really see the R12 being enough to make me want one and to be honest the 02 GSA just looks and works fine. This whole clutch spline thing is bit of PITA as is the FD. What really pisses me off more than anything is that the trans seals and clutch were just replaced 2,000 miles ago. Now this. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But I'll say it again. I'd be hard pressed to find a bike that does what we want it do with as much comfort and performance. Nothing else out there lights my fire. Guess this may just motivate me to finish doing upgrades on our R100GS so I can put the R1150 on the bike stand and fix it myself? Just doesn't sound like fun right now. I'm pissed but still love that bike.
R5, RD (x's3),W, ZRX
R100GS, GSA, KLR
folmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #34
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
I am certainly glad you had a warranty, but it's a numbers game. The warranty companies are in it to make $$$, and they price the warranties comensurately, so on the whole you are better off not getting it. But it is true, you are rolling the dice, hoping the you're not one of the unlucky ones. The one and only time I got a warranty, it was for a Land Rover, and the damned thing didn't break once!
It's a numbers game and usually works in favor of the company, but BMW's own 6 year extended warranty was cancelled and I know why first hand. My 6 year warranty paid for itself many times over. When the six years were up, the bike was sold. To the OP, if you're looking for Japanese level of reliability, you're not likely to find it if you keep the bike for a few years beyond the warranty period. Too many weak points on my GS: main seal leak, tranny output shaft seal leak, FD seal leak, crown bearing in the FD disintegrating prematurely, fuel pump kaput, to name a few things, and a dry clutch which isn't really suitable for rough riding terrain where you might want to slip the clutch, then heaven forbid if you have to ever replace that clutch, splitting the bike in half ain't much fun.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #35
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodhopper55 View Post
I've been wanting another GS for a few months so came back to ADV to start my search. I'm amazed at all the broken bike threads! I don't have thousands of $ to upgrade/modify/FIX a factory GS. So my enthusiasm is quickly draining for a bike, that while it has a loyal following, appears to spend more time down than being ridden!

So, should I drop my hunt for a GS/A and just go with the Yammie Tenere.......my enthusiasm for things German is fading.
mine has 70 000 miles of hard core offroad , jumping, mud boggs, crosscountry trips ..no problems here . maybe the guys whinning about problems are dur to their bikes sittling in a garage some where.... just saying
Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
Clodhopper55 OP
Can you say ALFALFA?

Oddometer: 19
Someone asked about the Harley's I have - narry a problem! And I've never had one issue with the 7 Harley's I've owned going back to 1993! They're not the break down machines from AMF days. They all handle like crap but I'm putting thousands of road miles on every year...not any dirt.

Now along with those 7 HDs I had an 08 GS 1200 - to be honest - best bike I've ever owned - but traded it on a Screaming Eagle HD I just had to have. GS never broke either. I'm going to keep looking for one bottom line!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #37
moosemeat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Them Krauts make the best stuff on Earth! Period! Ever since that UFO crashed in the Black Forest in 1939. Ha Ha!

Car technology breeds the bikes. And the cars are bitchin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
This is funny. Can't believe this thread lives on. Oh, I have an idea: what type of oil should I put in my r1200gs??

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #39
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
So, should I drop my hunt for a GS/A and just go with the Yammie Tenere.......my enthusiasm for things German is fading.
Yes, stop looking for a GS. You've already made up your mind.

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #40
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,700
Why do GSs break all the time? They don't. At least mine doesn't.

I rode BMWs, along with other brand bikes, continuously since 1983 but took a break from them when I bought my V-Strom in 2006. I soon missed not having a BMW, and after watching this forum for a while figured I must be nuts for thinking about a getting GS because lots of folks here seemed to bitch about them breaking in a very expensive manner.

I'm very glad I decided to not let this forum scare me off. Instead I just bought what I really wanted (my '07 GSA); over 96k miles on it now and simply the best, most versatile motorcycle I've ever owned. No plans on selling or replacing it either.

What I went through last winter changing all of the rear suspension linkage bearings including trying to remove the seized swingarm pivot bolt on my DRZ400 downright sucked. I kept thinking "I've never gone through this kind of crap on any of my BMWs". I still love the DRZ though too.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #41
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
Totally agree about forums being magnets for negativity .
I have drooled over Urals for years , and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a '12 rig , read any ural forum and it will scare the hell out of you . You would be convinced that as soon as you start it , it self destructs and sends you into oblivion . My other dream bike ... A GSA , but they break down to often ... :)
Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #42
4iedBandit
Road Warrior Commuter

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
I've been wanting another GS for a few months so came back to ADV to start my search. I'm amazed at all the broken bike threads!
Don't be. This place is a treasure trove of people way smarter than me who help me keep my bike running. I have printed several Hall of Wisdom guides and they live in my garage.

Problems get posted here because this is where we can get help. My bike is almost 10 years our of warranty. Things break. This place helps me get them fixed.

http://www.4ied.net
4iedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #43
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomandan View Post
All things mechanical can break! The most maintained piece of equipment in the universe is the Space shuttle. It has blown up twice! It is not that the GS breaks down more. BMW owners just expect them not to. I also have a Harley people never worry about them breaking , they expect them to.

and I had 2 Yamaha R6s I beat on beyond any ADV usage, road raced the living dog poop out of them for 6 years. NOTHING broke. EVAH. (crashing excluded)
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
because GS owners actually ride their bikes! Compare average mileage on used BMWs with other brands.
EJ_92606 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #45
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
If you are not breaking things your not having fun with this bike. BTW I saw the best women rider on a 1200 ADV I have ever seen today. I came up behind her and her SO on the Sea to Sky HWY in Canada (aka Can 99). This women had to lean over almost off the bike to touch the ground. But she was going about 80 mph in places that had a 40 mph speed limit. I could just keep up. I was really impressed. Dave