'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Thanks! Doc seems like an awfully interesting fellow, but with his bad luck and mine with flats, I'm not sure that would be a good idea (I'm about halfway through your TAT RR)!

More to come!
Out report just gets worse. How bout more of yours?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Looks like an amazing route and one heck of an adventure!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Day 5 continued; Day 6 too

I made it to Big Water and took a much needed break. I called Northland Motorsports in Flagstaff and sure enough, they had the air filter. They also assured me that they would gladly look at my bike and try to get me back on the road as quickly as possible. Further, they informed me that I should ask for Tharon as soon as I got there as he is the KTM guy. Awesome! I was happy to have the “I hope I can get this bike running better again and maybe all I need is an air filter, but if not, it seems like someone can help me” monkey off my back. With a big ole new attitude, I jumped on the bike and made my way to Flagstaff. Even though the wind was blowing like crazy, I was eager to get to my destination and happy to be on the bike.

See the big dust devil?:

I made a bee line to Northland Motorsports where I met Tharon who was very knowledgeable about my bike. He suggested that I go ahead and pick up the air filter, install it and see how it ran. If it didn’t seem to be running right, he promised that if I showed up first thing the next morning, he would put me right in and check the bike out. I promised him that I would wash the bike before I dropped it off. He also assured me that they had plenty of brake pads, should I need them. Satisfied that I was on the track to a better running bike, I purchased the air filter and was on my way.

I found the Heartland Country Inn in Flagstaff and secured a room for two nights. I thought that I might have to leave my bike with Northland Motorsports the next day, so I wanted to be sure that I had a room since I knew that the Overland Expo was in town and accommodations might get sketchy. Plus, even if I didn’t have to leave the bike, I had seen signs just north of Flagstaff indicating a volcanic park that I wanted to visit. The Heartland Inn is a nice, very clean hotel. I believe it is family owned and operated and the owners are very nice.

It turns out that I didn’t have all the appropriate tools to remove the air filter, so I had to make a trip to Auto Zone. I quickly replaced the air filter while chatting with a young man, who along with his friends, were making a trip to Las Vegas. We had a nice visit and I was sure to tell him to be careful over there and not to lose big. Dang, I’m an old codger dispensing that kind of advice. We said our goodbyes and I treated myself to a much needed and pleasant shower.

Time to eat!

I saw this bike, but I never got a chance to speak to the owner.:

I ended up eating here both nights.:

The food was ok, but the staff was very attentive and nice. I also had a chance the second night to try some local brew from the Flagstaff Brewery and it was good!

Moving forward…..

Day 6: Is this bike going to run? The volcano!

The next morning, I chased down a car wash as I promised Tharon I would clean the bike before dropping it off.
Before:

After:

I made it to Northland Motorsports before they opened at 9:00 and was standing by my bike when Tharon pulled up. He noticed me and came directly over and asked to listen to my bike run since the air filter had been changed. After a few minutes, we agreed that it seemed to be running fine, except, of course for the valve tick, and we elected not to deal with that issue further.

He took the bike back to look at the brake pads and before you know it, he came into the store and informed me that he thought I had more than enough brake pad on front and rear and that the squealing was probably just dirt caught between the pad and rotor. Essentially, I had been worried about nothing. So, refusing to accept any dollars at all, they sent me on my way. I cannot say enough about how professional and courteous the fine folks at Northland Motorsports are! They sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM and Polaris, so if you are ever in that area and need their assistance, they can more than adequately help you! Thanks guys! (I am in no way connected to Northland Motorsports other than the previously described encounter with them).

Feeling a lot better about going forward, I headed back north on Highway 89 to visit the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, showcasing the lava flows that were the result of a volcanic eruption about 900 years ago!

There are a couple of walking paths that take you up close to the lava flows. How frightening it must have been for the indigenous population when the eruption happened. Fascinating!

After I had hiked the trails, I headed off to see the Wupatki Pueblo about twenty miles from the volcano. I found some NF roads that took me near the pueblo and did some off roading!:

About 600 years ago, this pueblo was thriving with around 100 people, but they eventually abandoned the pueblo and left little, if any trace of the reason why. The pueblo was used by the U.S. government workers in the early 20th century, who established the park area. Work has been done to the pueblo to stabilize it in an effort to slow its’ deterioration.

Since I needed to wash clothes and find a phone charger, I called it a day around three or four o’clock and headed back to Flagstaff. I suppose from the previous days excursion, my back was sort of bothering me making me wish I had a nice massage. Well, as if by miracle, I came across a massage business right in the middle of the mall. This guy worked his magic on me and I felt like a million bucks after!:

Up next, Day 7: The Grand Canyon, finally!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
.... The problem is that my tent and my chair are a little long to fit in the saddlebags. I'm going to spend some time researching how everyone else distributes their stuff. You got any insight?
Your tent is not long....the poles are: pack them separately....maybe with the Kermit, if you mast take the BarcaLounger

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
What is that Grey colored box/

First----this is a great report---most interesting and so well photographed. The Pueblo pictures are remarkable. On a couple of those pictures---the ones showing the high wall with a perpendicular wall jutting out--and to the right of that wall---there is a grey colored, perfectly square, object which is set flush with the wall. Do you know what that might be? It seems unlikely to be a descriptive plaque because of it's location so high in the structure---where there would be no access to observe it? It seems not to be a window or opening--but rather as some sort of little 'door' such as we might see on a modern 'wall safe'? Whatever it is, it just doesn't 'fit'. I am most curious to know what it could be? Any idea?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Must go there!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Your tent is not long....the poles are: pack them separately....maybe with the Kermit, if you mast take the BarcaLounger
That is a good idea. I hadn't thought of separating the tent items. I will also consider not taking the Kermit in the future, although, as you will see later, I made great use of it one evening. Thanks for reading and the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider
First----this is a great report---most interesting and so well photographed. The Pueblo pictures are remarkable. On a couple of those pictures---the ones showing the high wall with a perpendicular wall jutting out--and to the right of that wall---there is a grey colored, perfectly square, object which is set flush with the wall. Do you know what that might be? It seems unlikely to be a descriptive plaque because of it's location so high in the structure---where there would be no access to observe it? It seems not to be a window or opening--but rather as some sort of little 'door' such as we might see on a modern 'wall safe'? Whatever it is, it just doesn't 'fit'. I am most curious to know what it could be? Any idea?
It took me a minute to figure out where you are talking about! Ok, I think that's probably a steel plate; it's not uncommon in masonry restoration, especially with multiple wythes (or in this case because of the thickness of the wall), to utilize this sort of element to sort of hold the wall together. I'm guessing there is a corresponding plate on the other side of that wall that's all held together with threaded rod.

There was mention made of the smallness of the doors, but apparently, that had nothing to do with the size of the people living there as they were of average height for that time period. I don't recall if there was reason given as to the smallness of the door openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon
Must go there!
You won't be disappointed with everything you see! It's hard, for me at least, to express how humbling it is to travel through so much geologic history and bigness! I love it out there!

Hey Weave! Wish you had been there! It was fantastic!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,335
It's ride reports like this that inspire! Thanks for taking the time to document with photographs. It must be somewhat of a PITA to stop all the time to take pictures. I do appreciate your effort!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
It's ride reports like this that inspire! Thanks for taking the time to document with photographs. It must be somewhat of a PITA to stop all the time to take pictures. I do appreciate your effort!
I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments from all of you! A lot of these pics were snapped while riding. It's pretty easy to do if you hang a camera around your neck!

Supahflid screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 01:25 PM
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Day 7: First look at the Grand Canyon

Day 7: My first look at the Grand Canyon!

I had spent some time on Day 6 preparing a route through NF roads on my way to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I left Flagstaff and made my way toward Highway 180 and jumped off road:

Um, now what? There was a path through this boulder minefield, so I didn’t have to turn around.

Moving forward, the trail got rough. I never seem to get the worse sections since I’m too busy trying to ride through the hard stuff!

Eventually, I ended up running parallel to a paved road and my gps was running me around in a circle back the way I came. Ok, no biggie, since my progress was kind of slow anyway, I was ready to make tracks. This paved road ran back to 180, so I jumped up on the road and made a beeline! Those same winds that had pushed me all over the Highway 89 two days previous were kicked up again on Highway 180. After twenty miles or so of fighting the winds, I saw a sign at a gravel road that said, “Highway 64, 28 miles.” Hmm, maybe I could run that road through the woods and get out of these howling winds? So, I headed that way! Since I hadn’t done any routing through this area, I just found the end of the road on my gps, set a point and let the machine make the route! Great roads!:

I saw several signs that said, “Elk Club” and wondered what that was all about. Was I about to meet anyone? Well, yes, I did! I met this nice gentleman and his friends that were staging their campers for several days of clean up and elk husbandry.

Very nice folks, I think they belonged to the Arizona Elk Society, dedicated to preserving and maintaining the Arizona elk herd. We chatted for quite a while and took pictures of each other!

They invited me to stay and visit, but I was on a mission to see the Grand Canyon and declined the invitation. On I go:

I kept running into these gates. I took me a while to realize that, being on NF land, I could pass through them if I put the gate back in place.

This error added a few miles to my trip, but no matter, I was having a blast! Finally I get to Highway 64 and on to the Grand Canyon! I decided that I would go into the park first and figure out if I wanted to stay overnight or not. Once there, I realized that, yes, I definitely needed to stay and further, I needed to make those accommodations and get out of my riding boots and into something more appropriate for walking around.

I walked to a couple of the overlooks near the visitor’s center:

Having driven through Tusayan, it appeared as though most of the hotels were full. I had also found out that the camping spots inside the park were full, although there were locations outside of the park I could have camped. Luckily, I found lodging at the Grand Motel in Tusayan and secured a room. After shedding my riding clothes, I headed back to the park for some sunset pictures!:

On the shuttle bus ride back to the visitor’s center, I met a very nice Australian couple who were making their first trip to the States. They were having a great time and I enjoyed our chat. By the time we got to the visitor’s center, it was dark and chilly. Not thinking about how cool it would be on the six or so miles back to Tusayan, I had nothing on but a short sleeved shirt. Brrr, it was cold. A nice, warm shower, a couple of pints and a warm meal from the in house restaurant fixed that. I went to bed happy that I had finally gotten to see the Grand Canyon and excited about seeing more.

Coming up-Day 8: You want me to walk where?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
Norpinist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thank you

Thanks for the trip report and the fabulous photos - especially nice to see all of the road surfaces! A group of us were down in the Bluff/Moab/Gateway CO area this weekend and the wind was off the charts. So was the color of the sky (it truly looked like we were on Mars with the smoke/dust). In fact, there was so much blowing dust/sand on Saturday that whenever I touch a lever (brake/clutch) on my 990, it (static) shocked me! Luckily, the wind subsided on Sunday and we were able to ride some truly amazing terrain between Monument Valley and Moab. I hope that you continue to enjoy the ride and be safe on your way home!
Norpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,421
Awesome pics and RR, Supah!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Wow!