User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,096
01 1150GS Pinging and losing power

My 01 1150GS recently has started pinging and losing power in 6th gear. It first happened last weekend on a highway run on I17 heading south from Flagstaff, AZ it was running fine then on a long uphill doing about 75mph in 6th it suddenley starting pinging and losing power. I had to shift down to 5th and the power loss continued. At one point my top speed was about 50mph. After I exited the highway it seemed to run fine on the back roads between 1st and 4th gears.
The next day I rode some back roads on my way home and everything seemed fine. Then I got on the highway and for the first 10 miles or so the bike ran fine, then the pinging and loss of power started again. My first thought was maybe bad gas, so I filled up at another station and added octane boost. This did not help.

I brought it to my local shop this week. They checked the valves and he told me they were really tight. So they adjusted them and said that was probably the problem. I picked up the bike and started riding home on the highway, the first 5 miles or so miles the bike felt fine then the pinging and loss of power started again in 6th gear. I turned around and brought it back to the shop. Thats where it sits now.

I'm sure the valves were tight if they say so but I was also pretty sure this was not the problem. It seems to me something with the air/fuel mixture. I'm sure it could be many things but I'm thinking o2 sensor? Any suggestions?

The worst part is when I got back to the shop the mechanic took it for a test ride. I told him he had to go on the highway for for an extended period in 6th to replicate the problem. He was back after five minutes, said he got it up to 110mph and noticed the left cylinder cutting out at 110. WTF?

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside

ScottV screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 08:06 PM
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 923
Is there still a possibility of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber with these fuel injected bikes?
Or could it be overheating? On an old bike I would check the spark plug (for carbon deposits, or signs of melting), and also the timing. But on a fuel injected GS with electronic ignition I wouldn't expect any problems like this. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I am going to suggest something completely different since it happened to my 01. There is a very good chance that the liner of the tank is pealing and a large sheet of it was pulled against the fuel intake thus starving the bike. The lean condition caused the pinging and the power loss. I suggest that you pull the tank and have a look. If it is like mine, peal as much out as you can, clean with WD-40, and put a new filter in while it is disassembled.

Good luck. Let me know if you decide to do this and if I was right.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Same thing happened to my gs after I picked up a load of crappy gas in the middle of nowhere.

YMMV, Dennis
Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 929
Could be time for a fuel filter.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Bike has 44,000 miles. All maintenance up to date, including new fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, left side cam chain tensioner upgrade within the last 4,000 miles.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Again, you live where it is hot. I live where it is really hot. My black tanked GS probably nearly boils gas in the sun. The liner has a service life and by the age of your bike, it is up. Good luck.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Pull the fuel pump and re-inspect. Make sure the TPS doesn't have dead spot. If you need a new tank I have a brand new old stock 1150GS in Titan silver metallic. PM me
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
dit

vintagerider screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 09:48 PM Reason: dit
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Mine pings. Has always pinged. 2002 1150GS with 112,000 miles on it now. Always when really hot. Always when under load and accelerating. Sometimes (rarely) bad enough to feel a loss of power.
I find that I can keep it minimized by actually causing it to ping slightly from time to time. When it is hot out, I will often get it into the mode where it just starts to ping (nearly full throttle, 5th gear, 4-6k rpm) and try to get it to ping, but not too much. Enough to hear it, but not enough to feel it lose power. Hold it there a few seconds a time or two and then it will go away and be fine for a week or more, and it never gets real bad.
My theory is I'm knocking the carbon loose by doing this from time to time, but I don't know for sure.
If pinging gets bad enough, it can damage the engine. So don't let it ping enough to lose power and don't ride with it pinging very much.
You can try retarding the ignition timing just a tad. If mine gets bad enough, I would do that, but mine has always just been a minor annoyance.
I tried the "water torture" and even the Seafoam torture" treatments, but those never helped at all. You can search on those. Basically, introducing raw water (or Seafoam) into the cylinders while the engine is running. Supposed to knock the carbon loose. Only for the brave.

Also, be sure you aren't lugging the motor, which is going to make it worse. I rarely use sixth gear at all unless I'm going over 75 mph. Don't accelerate hard below 4k rpm.

Terry
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Thanks for all the suggestions but it seems like I was right for a change. My local shop had the bike for a week, I called at the end of the week to see whats up. The shop owner said he took the bike out 3 different times and could not duplicate the problem, said the bike was running great. I picked it up last Saturday and about 20 miles into my ride home on the freeway in 6th the bike started pinging and losing power again. I shifted down to 5th and had tremendous pinging. I was able to roll off the throttle and get the bike back to normal, it ran fine the remaining 20 miles home.

I think they did not ride the bike long enough to have the problem. It only seems to happen when the bike gets warm. It is an intermittent problem and doesn't happen all the time, this got me thinking it probably is electrical. Sunday I unplugged the O2 sensor under the tank and took it for a 60 mile highway run in about 95 degree heat. The bike ran great, no problems what so ever. I was cautiously optimistic. Today I went for a 200 mile ride with O2 sensor still unplugged. It varied from 1500' elevation to 6,000 feet. The temp range was from 98 to mid seventies. The bike ran beautiful all day, about 70 miles of it freeway, tight mountain twisties, 2 lane country highways. Not one ping all day and I was trying to get it to ping. I ordered a new O2 sensor and hoping this will solve the problem.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Mine pings. Has always pinged. 2002 1150GS with 112,000 miles on it now. Always when really hot. Always when under load and accelerating. Sometimes (rarely) bad enough to feel a loss of power.
I find that I can keep it minimized by actually causing it to ping slightly from time to time. When it is hot out, I will often get it into the mode where it just starts to ping (nearly full throttle, 5th gear, 4-6k rpm) and try to get it to ping, but not too much. Enough to hear it, but not enough to feel it lose power. Hold it there a few seconds a time or two and then it will go away and be fine for a week or more, and it never gets real bad.
My theory is I'm knocking the carbon loose by doing this from time to time, but I don't know for sure.
If pinging gets bad enough, it can damage the engine. So don't let it ping enough to lose power and don't ride with it pinging very much.
You can try retarding the ignition timing just a tad. If mine gets bad enough, I would do that, but mine has always just been a minor annoyance.
I tried the "water torture" and even the Seafoam torture" treatments, but those never helped at all. You can search on those. Basically, introducing raw water (or Seafoam) into the cylinders while the engine is running. Supposed to knock the carbon loose. Only for the brave.

Also, be sure you aren't lugging the motor, which is going to make it worse. I rarely use sixth gear at all unless I'm going over 75 mph. Don't accelerate hard below 4k rpm.

Terry
The Nikasil cylinder wall plating does not tolerate detonation well. If your engine detonates (pings), find the reason and fix it.

Poor quality fuel, overly lean fueling, carbon and advanced timing contribute to detonation.

Deliberately adding water to the combustion chanbers of a hot engine under load is not good practice and could lead to hydrolock and severe engine damage. If your engine is carboned (a borescope inspection through the plug hole will tell as well as spark plugs and exhaust valve seats), remove the heads and do the job correctly.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
I had a R1150GS that pinged like crazy. Even at top end pinned. Went round and round tuning it and finaly took it to the shop. They did the same. Said all was perfect. But the problem was still there

Second time in the shop found it had a slipped cam lobe. I guess they were pressed on? So, if your valves are spot on, TB's synced and all else ruled out. I'd look there. Cycle Specialties in Modesto CA found the problem and were kind enough to order the parts while I still rode the bike. I really don't think it's common thing, so perhaps do some research on it.

Good luck.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
eblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hello neighbor. I just moved to Surprise a few weeks back. I have the same problem with my 02 GS Adventure. I had it out for a ride last night and had a noticeable ping on the freeway when I roll on the throttle but I had no loss of power. It has always pinged a little, but never so pronounced. I've got a 34,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if the heat as anything to do with it. I just today bought a bottle of Seafoam and am going to try that. Did replacing the O2 sensor work? And may I ask what local shop you go to for service? I'm new in town and its always good to have a good mechanic in mind. Thanks and good luck with your bike.
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
ScottV OP
bigdoggscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblack View Post
Hello neighbor. I just moved to Surprise a few weeks back. I have the same problem with my 02 GS Adventure. I had it out for a ride last night and had a noticeable ping on the freeway when I roll on the throttle but I had no loss of power. It has always pinged a little, but never so pronounced. I've got a 34,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if the heat as anything to do with it. I just today bought a bottle of Seafoam and am going to try that. Did replacing the O2 sensor work? And may I ask what local shop you go to for service? I'm new in town and its always good to have a good mechanic in mind. Thanks and good luck with your bike.
So far the new O2 sensor has completely solved the problem. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and have put about 800 miles since and the bike is running great, including temps around 108. The bike faired better in that type of heat than I did.

I have been using MotoGhost in North Phoenix. http://motoghost.com/ The owners name is Omar, it is an I independant shop that only works on BMW's. He is a great guy and has even called me a few times to see how the bike was, he felt so bad about not finding the problem he offered to install the O2 sensor for free. But, I decided to just install it myself. He also didn't charge for the time he had the bike because he was not able to duplicate the problem.

Good luck with yours, let me know if you need a hand with the O2 sensor.