User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Sh1bby's R65 Cafe Build

Hey everyone I just wanted to start a build thread on my R65. This will be my very first build thread and really my very first build. I just picked up Ben Carufel's '79 R65 and this is my first Airhead. You guys have been great answering my questions. My build won't be super crazy. I plan to add a cafe seat, new paint, and possibly custom housing for my gauges. I would love to tear it all down and powder coat the frame and wheels, but I have to put some cash aside and want to enjoy the bike for a bit. I also plan to work on the front brake. I'm not use to grabbing a handful. Any recommendations?

Here are the images of the bike:

I've started working on fabricating the seat:

I hope to fiberglass today or tomorrow. Will post updates as they come.

Come Tuesday I plan to ride down to my local dealership and pick up an oil pan gasket and hopes my service manual comes in the mail.

Thanks for looking guys!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,298
Good stuff bro. Keep us posted. I'm doing the same.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,728
Nice looking bike just the way it came! I'd have left the seat and worked towards installing a second disc and left it at that.

Of course I'm not that wild about the look of the instrument housing. Some individual pods would look much better. But I've never done anything to change them, so can't offer any advice there.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

I was thinking about getting individual gauges. Not sure how to go about it though. As for the seat, I plan to leave the mounts so down the line I can through the stock one on.

When I bought the bike, it came with another caliper along with a disc. I know I have to get longer bolts to mount it but is there anything else I need to know about adding a second front break? I'd like to braided steel lines.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Nice looking bike just the way it came! I'd have left the seat and worked towards installing a second disc and left it at that.

Of course I'm not that wild about the look of the instrument housing. Some individual pods would look much better. But I've never done anything to change them, so can't offer any advice there.
I agree. All that bike needs is a second brake and a little attention to detail.

Wish it was mine!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

I've used stainless allens sourced from the hardware store to mount the dual calipers. Nothing too special about them.

Since you've got the disc and caliper, just mount them up. The problem will be the brake line. No need to modify or change the caliper. In your position, I'd add a cross-over from the current caliper to the new one. If you're getting new lines made, install a T at the junction of the metal line to the right side, and run a short line to the left caliper.

For some reason yours has the caliper on the left side - it seems I've always seen the single caliper on the right side. No biggie.

If your master cylinder is a 13mm it's actually the best size for the dual discs, so don't get the idea it's important to get the larger size that came with dual disc systems.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
That is a real nice looking bike., nice find. There is a 1970 R-60/5 for sale in our local Craglist (Humboldt County), that has my mind racing, no where as clean as yours. I have been wanting to dive headlong into the Airhead part of motos, maybe this would be a good start. Total new guy question, Iam assuming that the R-60 means it is a 600cc?? Is there a website or booklet that would explain the differences between Models and engine types from say the early 1970s. Thanks

WRC51 screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 08:52 AM
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I've used stainless allens sourced from the hardware store to mount the dual calipers. Nothing too special about them.

Since you've got the disc and caliper, just mount them up. The problem will be the brake line. No need to modify or change the caliper. In your position, I'd add a cross-over from the current caliper to the new one. If you're getting new lines made, install a T at the junction of the metal line to the right side, and run a short line to the left caliper.

For some reason yours has the caliper on the left side - it seems I've always seen the single caliper on the right side. No biggie.

If your master cylinder is a 13mm it's actually the best size for the dual discs, so don't get the idea it's important to get the larger size that came with dual disc systems.
Much thanks! I was thinking about just going to my local hardware store to grab some. As for the brake line, can you show what you mean by the crossover. So instead of having it from a split the line would come directly from the primary caliper?

Im not sure if I can use this as a split but I found what looks to be a split in the brake lines. Check the image below

Another question is to determine the size of the Master Cylinder size. I couldn't find any markings besides Min and Max.

@WRC51 I've always Google a bike to find the specs on them. The website that I usually refer to from Google is bikez.com.
Heres some info on the R60/5: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw_r_60-5_1970.php
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
That is a real nice looking bike., nice find. There is a 1970 R-60/5 for sale in our local Craglist (Humboldt County), that has my mind racing, no where as clean as yours. I have been wanting to dive headlong into the Airhead part of motos, maybe this would be a good start. Total new guy question, Iam assuming that the R-60 means it is a 600cc?? Is there a website or booklet that would explain the differences between Models and engine types from say the early 1970s. Thanks
That bike was for sale a year ago for $1000 more. I think I saw the same bike at Mark's shop since then (how many white/white R60s are there?) so he may have some insight. Nice patina IIRC, no need to mess with it. If I were smart enough to buy a running bike.........

Yes, R60 would be 600cc.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,955
I wouldn't run stainless caliper bolts for safety. I wouldn't run titanium there either! I think the BMW bolts are about the best for that job. I would do away with the hard line and run stainless braided down to the calipers. Why have more fittings that you need? All you need is four fittings, not six or eight. I would run a double banjo bolt at either the MC or one of the calipers. I think they are easier to bleed running two lines all the way down. That's how I set up my R65. A brake line over the fender is a giant air trap.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Thanks melville, I have also been watching your build-up very nice.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I wouldn't run stainless caliper bolts for safety. SNIP....
While I agree with Wirespokes 95% of the time, when I remodeled my bike I used a lot of SS fasteners but not on the calipers or disks. I replaced those nuts and bolts with factory parts.

Somehow, it lets me sleep better at night!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

The stainless bolts holding the calipers are plenty sufficient. Especially stainless allens. And there are different grades of stainless. The forces on those bolts aren't so much in a length-wise direction, more at right angles. Mine never wore grooves in them from the forces. As a matter of fact, since the nuts are nylocs, I don't even torque them down with much force. Can't say how much since I do it by feel. They're large enough I can't imagine them shearing off! That would take a LOT of force!

As for the brake line - I agree - I don't like the idea of running the second line from the first caliper. But I would run it from the metal line, over the fender and to the other caliper.

In your case, having the splitter at the steering head, I'd run it from there, which is the way the factory did it.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,955
I still don't understand. Why run a splitter like the factory did? Two more line fittings than need be (three lines instead of two) and a place to mount the splitter. BMW's splitter is a small boat anchor too. I like to keep things simple when I can. In this case it will cost you less money too!

What Brembo's need nuts on the back side? Stainless nuts? Around all that brake dust? Stainless on stainless is a sure way to bugger threads in my experience. IMO, stainless is for boats!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote