Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #61
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
Guess I'm one of the few that would like to see the new FJR go the other direction. Get rid of the power adjustable screen, save the weight and expense. There are many aftermarket screen choices if you aren't happy with stock. No need for cruise for me either. Again, save the weight and expense. Put a powerful 1100-1200cc engine in it (lighter) with a closer ratio 6 speed to keep the acceleration numbers good and have 6th gear as a good high speed cruising gear.

Make the bike lighter and keep the price the same as or just under the price of the C-14. Heated grips, seat etc can be taken care of by the aftermarket if there's enough demand or make them available from Yamaha as options. If a new FJR comes out with all the goodies and then weighs even more than the current bike and retails at $18,000 it's not going to sell.

Give me an FJR with updated looks, ABS, shaft drive, bags, priced the same as a C-14 but 100 pounds lighter (56 pounds lighter than the current FJR) with current or better performance and I think it would be a winner.
You've come fairly close to describing a Ninja 1000 with Givi's (except for the shaft drive), or possibly an FZ1 or a Sprint GT. An S10 might even fit your qualifications. All are already available and cost less (stock) than a FJR. Lots of choices out there these days.

I have an '03 FJR. With a little suspension work its a great bike. I wouldn't mind a bit more power and a factory cruise control option (which I installed as an accessory). Otherwise, there are lots of farkles available to customize to one's own satisfaction.

With its tremendous engine and handling, the FJR comes fairly close to "right" as a SPORT-tourer in its stock form. A Gen III could provide some welcome updates, but it's a tough economic proposition for a company that has struggled lately, and for a model that is not one of their top sellers.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #62
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I get a kick out of reading these threads. One person wants more power and every amenity known, the next wants a smaller engine, less weight, and better mileage. And everyone wants it cheap. It would seem impossible to please much anybody, much less everybody.

When Yamaha came out with the FJR1300 they were pretty much top of the heap as far as power went. Know they have the C14 to deal with. The FJR is lighter, but the magazines mark it down as outdated and underpowered compared to the C14, which they end up comparing to the new BMW K1600GT.

On the lighter side, there is the Ninja 1000, which would seem to check most of the boxes for those who want something lighter but still powerful. Then for those that want something even lighter and cheaper, the new Vstrom seems to be a good option. You can even get it with factory bags if you don't want to source your own.

Then, of course, there are the various Triumphs that seem to fit in to the mix such as the Sprint GT and Tigers. And don't forget about the various mid-size Beemers, if you've got the cash. Oh, and the Guzzis. And the new Hondas.

Then, of course, there are several other choices if you don't mind buying used. I especially like the Aprillia Futura.

It seems to me there are good choices out there for everyone and the current FJR and whatever replacement Yamaha comes out with, will be too much for some and not enough for others. For some, though, it will be the best option.

Choices, a wonderful thing.
+1. Well said.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #63
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Throttle View Post
You've come fairly close to describing a Ninja 1000 with Givi's (except for the shaft drive), or possibly an FZ1 or a Sprint GT. An S10 might even fit your qualifications. All are already available and cost less (stock) than a FJR. Lots of choices out there these days.

I have an '03 FJR. With a little suspension work its a great bike. I wouldn't mind a bit more power and a factory cruise control option (which I installed as an accessory). Otherwise, there are lots of farkles available to customize to one's own satisfaction.

With its tremendous engine and handling, the FJR comes fairly close to "right" as a SPORT-tourer in its stock form. A Gen III could provide some welcome updates, but it's a tough economic proposition for a company that has struggled lately, and for a model that is not one of their top sellers.
I gave the Ninja 1000 a long look before I pulled the trigger on my FJR. While I haven't ridden one, it comes close to what I described. In the end, I live so far from twisty roads that more highway capability won out.

The BMW K1200R Sport, while slightly more sporty than the Ninja, hits the weight requirement and keeps the shaft drive and factory bags and also shows that it's not an impossible goal. I had a K1200S for 5 years and a K1300S would work too but unfortunately dealer support is an issue in this area.

Peoples' perspective is always interesting. You consider the FJR a SPORT-touring bike and I'd consider it a sport-TOURING bike.

It's all good.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #64
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
flag ship

When the fjr came out , it was the sport tour that set a new standard . Hard to believe this bike is still pretty competitive in this market after ten years. But yamaha knows when your " TOP BIKE " is fighting for forth place , changes need to be made. Gotta figure yamaha wants a power to weight ratio better then the rest . I think a cross plane 1400cc making about 165 super smooth ponys with upgraded chassis (weight 550-600lbs.) would put this bike back on top .
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #65
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I think it`s funny that no matter what a company puts out , there are always some that think there should have been more power or must be lighter. The Concours has more power , but go to there web sites & you will read that some think it`s not enough power. So sure put a rocket on a pig, it`ll still be a pig Sure the FJR needs an update, but putting a sport bike engine in it will just about kill the touring part of the bike. The reason i went with the FJR , was because it does have enough power to get anyone in trouble, handled very well & got pretty good gas milage. By next year i`m sure i will own something else (coolaid anyone )
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #66
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,812
To me it's pretty amazing that Yamaha's design - both mechanically and aesthetically - has stood the test of time for over a decade. They got it right the first time.
I'm sure the FJR1400 will have more power (just because it has to) and some more electronics, etc., but I hope Yamaha doesn't screw up the basic concept of a bike that handles, has plenty of power, gets decent mileage, long service intervals and is comfortable and fun to ride.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #67
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I would love to see a crossplane cranked FZ1 or FJR.

Me too. It would out-VFR the VFR.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #68
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
I don't think the Ninja 1000 or FZ1 is a viable alternative for those seeking a lighter FJR. They are far too sporty, insurance is expensive! and the seat would definitely have to be changed and bags added - then you've still got chain drive and a lack of wind protection.

The GSF1250 and the Sprint GT get closer, but still have the chain drive and lack of wind protection.

Honda's NT700 had it right, comfy ergos and a wide comfy seat with plenty of passenger room - but it was not enough motor and too hard to work on (see some of the videos on youtube - two hours to remove the rear wheel )

I looked hard at the FZ1. I really like the looks, and put some Givi V35's on it and it looks even better (imho) - but the insurance cost and the lack of wind protection really hurt it for me. I didn't like the flat nose and the stubby tail of the Ninja, and frankly there just wasn't much chance of me buying another Suzuki. The Sprint GT's ergos were too racy for me, bars too low and pegs to high.

It came down to between the NT700 and the FJR. After seeing those youtube videos, I decided on the FJR. I'm glad I did. I love this bike - but if I was going to change anything, the first thing I would do is put it on a diet.

What this world needs is a new bike in the mold of a 1982 Suzuki GS850G. Build it strong enough to carry two people and luggage and a fairing or windshield, but let us choose our own from the aftermarket. Comfy upright seating, wide flat saddle, big gas tank, and reliable as an anvil.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #69
See red
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Depends on personal taste, however, I was using an fz6r for my light FJR. It handles great, iit's light, has enough engine for my taste, and ergos are close to the FJR. I also could not go two up though. I had to bite the bullet and get a tiger 1050 to meet my needs just last weekend. I already miss the little sh!t that could lol! I had more storage than an FJR with v-35 bags and an e-460 trunk.

It depends on what YOU are planning to do with your bike and what YOU want.

I think the FJR is a decent bike out of the box the way it is. Too much power and it will be less friendly to me. It was a nice evolution of the original ................. Futura. IMHO that was the true bench mark bike to have everyone wake up and start looking seriously at making a SPort/TOUrer....... ended up being my all time favorite bike.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Bigger engine doesn't just mean faster 1/4 mile time.

Bigger engine could mean smoother engine. As I stated, my old man thought the ZX14 was a smoother and more preferable powerplant than his FJR.

Bigger engine could mean more usable low end power. Wider powerband means less downshifting.

And being a possibly new design, it could mean better MPG's.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #71
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by See red View Post
I think the FJR...was a nice evolution of the original ................. Futura.
The FJR an evolution of the Futura? Wow, that's a stretch. As sport-touring bikes go, these bikes are radically different. And given that the original 2002 FJR was an absolute clean-sheet design, its design was likely 95% done before the 2001 Futura even appeared on the market.

Not that the Futura wasn't a nice bike - it was. But it really competed in the ST2/ST3/ST4 space, along with the GT chain-drive bikes like the Busa and Blackbird which could be outfitted with hard bags and made into decent sport tourers.

The market has voted however.... the chain-drive twins like the Futura and ST2/ST3/ST4 are long gone and the bigger, more comfortable, and more powerful shaft-driven and inline-four (or six) sport-touring bikes like the FJR, C14, and K16GT remain. I think the smaller, chain-drive sport-touring market has been pretty badly undercut by the adventure touring category and won't likely return anytime soon.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 02:32 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #72
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
I don't want the FJR 1400 having more power.... otherwise our French police will hunt us down even faster

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #73
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I don't want the FJR 1400 having more power.... otherwise our French police will hunt us down even faster
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #74
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The FJR an evolution of the Futura? Wow, that's a stretch. As sport-touring bikes go, these bikes are radically different. And given that the original 2002 FJR was an absolute clean-sheet design, its design was likely 95% done before the 2001 Futura even appeared on the market.

Not that the Futura wasn't a nice bike - it was. But it really competed in the ST2/ST3/ST4 space, along with the GT chain-drive bikes like the Busa and Blackbird which could be outfitted with hard bags and made into decent sport tourers.

The market has voted however.... the chain-drive twins like the Futura and ST2/ST3/ST4 are long gone and the bigger, more comfortable, and more powerful shaft-driven and inline-four (or six) sport-touring bikes like the FJR, C14, and K16GT remain. I think the smaller, chain-drive sport-touring market has been pretty badly undercut by the adventure touring category and won't likely return anytime soon.

- Mark
good post

I think the Honda VFR is another bike that competed with the Futura and the Ducatis you mentioned. Speaking for myself, I have always been a bit leery of European bikes simply because of he lack of dealers to support it. I would have preferred the VFR, but I could not deal with the ergonomics. I still think a bike in the 900cc range could do well with the relaxed ergonomics of an adventure tourer, and a lower seat height of a sport tourer.

Bring back a modern GS850G!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #75
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by See red View Post
... I was using an fz6r for my light FJR. It handles great, iit's light, has enough engine for my taste, and ergos are close to the FJR ...
My interpretation of the (extra)light FJR... currently for sale or trade on the Flea Market:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801283

photo25/64/4d/9d5716b43598.jfif
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote