ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
OUCH!!!

Sorry to hear about your spill Cindy. Take care of that leg. Get some better gear, maybe some tuning on the suspension. I don't think you really need a smaller bike. This sounds like just a freakish fall and your leg ended up in the wrong spot between rocks and the bike. Happens to the best riders sometimes. Hope you keep riding and incorporate some skillls practicing. If you haven't done a class like Jimmy Lewis or something similar then that would be a good recommendation. You'll learn some drills that you want to keep to take some time to keep practicing. If Russ gives a class before the BCBATR later this year, then that would be worthwhile.

The GPR mentioned is a steering stabilizer. They do help.

Get better and hopefully will see you back on the trails at some point - maybe BCBATR, maybe back in Death Valley next spring....
Thanks GGS. I plan on doing both the BCBATR and the Death Valley ride. I did take Russ's course last year and it helped me immeasurably - I plan on taking it again this year if he offers it. I'd also like to try to incorporate Jimmy's course with my trip to the nOOb rally next year. I need all the help I can get!
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #32
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,794
Hey girl! I know you like to have too much fun - but this is ridiculous! Glad you're recovering, and hoping it goes quickly for you.

Don't feel too noobish asking about GPR - my reaction was "whut?" as well. Turns out to be a steering damper/stabilizer if me google-fu is funktional today.That would keep those nasty rocks from snatching control so easily. Scott's is a more common brand.

I've been thinking about knee armor - trying to figure out what would actually do any good vs taking a handlebar to the side of the knee? More armor would be better, but most don't have a lot of side protection - unless you go Asterisk knee brace?

Even then, the side is where the hinge is. Dunno.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Hey girl! I know you like to have too much fun - but this is ridiculous! Glad you're recovering, and hoping it goes quickly for you.

Don't feel too noobish asking about GPR - my reaction was "whut?" as well. Turns out to be a steering damper/stabilizer if me google-fu is funktional today.That would keep those nasty rocks from snatching control so easily. Scott's is a more common brand.

I've been thinking about knee armor - trying to figure out what would actually do any good vs taking a handlebar to the side of the knee? More armor would be better, but most don't have a lot of side protection - unless you go Asterisk knee brace?

Even then, the side is where the hinge is. Dunno.
More farkles for the WR

This where I'm leaning in the knee armour department - Acerbis Impact EVO Knee Guards.



There was a fellow at the Orca Run with a pair of these - they looked pretty functional and he said they were very comfortable.

A gratuitous picture of the leg. I figured I've been posting one every 2 days, I might as well continue.



I must be getting better since I'm worried more about how fat my leg looks rather than how bruised it is
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Off Limits
Banned
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,266
If the boot says dual sport, they aren't good enough.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
If the boot says dual sport, they aren't good enough.


The damage was all to my knee, that other crap is drainage.
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike
 
Wadester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: 'Cruces
Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
More farkles for the WR

This where I'm leaning in the knee armour department - Acerbis Impact EVO Knee Guards.



There was a fellow at the Orca Run with a pair of these - they looked pretty functional and he said they were very comfortable.
Last time I found a gap in my armor, I got these:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
A gratuitous picture of the leg. I figured I've been posting one every 2 days, I might as well continue.



I must be getting better since I'm worried more about how fat my leg looks rather than how bruised it is
Post both legs so we can give you a better opinion
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and / I took the one less traveled by, and / now where the hell am I?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #37
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Last time I found a gap in my armor, I got these:




Post both legs so we can give you a better opinion
These are terrific! They'll look so cool with my leopard print underwear
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!
 
Tha Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Tha North Springs, Co(Banned camp rehab)
Oddometer: 5,044
How is the pain level?
__________________
Happy Trails Y'all.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
How is the pain level?
It's kind of strange. I have very little pain from the initial injury. My lower leg is quite swollen and the area below my knee on my shin is really tight. I have a lot of pressure and the occasional pins and needles there and that's so uncomfortable. Last night at work it was almost unbearable. Ibuprofen seems to help and it doesn't feel as bad today. See how it feels after another night at work.
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PPCLI-Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria BC where I ride year round.
Oddometer: 221
Not all bad

this is Jim here , you were lucky you did not crash where dave was. when he came across Jenn and us the first thing he asked was for her to drop trou.. so he could help Cord and I check her knee out. waqsnt to impressed when she told him we had already checked her knee out .good luck on the healing
__________________
I'm not saying to kill all the stupid people . .. Just remove the warning labels and let nature run it's course


http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #41
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
this is Jim here , you were lucky you did not crash where dave was. when he came across Jenn and us the first thing he asked was for her to drop trou.. so he could help Cord and I check her knee out. waqsnt to impressed when she told him we had already checked her knee out .good luck on the healing
Thanks Jim, I got the drop trou line when I got back to camp - they said he was like a doctor - I think that was the phrase At least they gave me liquor
__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 06:56 PM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #42
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,494
Ouch.

Sorry to see and hear about the crash but glad you weren't hurt worse.

Also sorry to hear you're gonna miss this year's Dust2Dawson gathering. Next year.

Here's to a quick and complete healing, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #43
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl
 
Cowgirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC - for now
Oddometer: 3,800
Picture from Tuesday, it is beginning to look better although my toes look like they're about to fall off

I rode the WR to supermoto and I was almost sorry I did - I was in excruciating pain for a lot of the ride. After that and an hour of track sweeping I felt a lot less stiff. I need to move around more.

__________________
Cougar tracks
The initial pawprints
The blind date
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
scarysharkface
30-125
 
scarysharkface's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Lakland
Oddometer: 12,838
Ouch!

+1000 on the knee guards. Those things are wonderful, especially paired with real MX boots.

Hope it feels better soon!

John
__________________

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
Eyes Shut
See no evil
 
Eyes Shut's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
These are terrific! They'll look so cool with my leopard print underwear
Cowgirl! You know better than to mix your animal prints!

Zebra kneeguards require zebra underwear!

(P.S. Hope you are feeling better.)
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014