ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #46
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bubba Bauer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Lower Mitcham SA
Oddometer: 156
Thumb hello

Congratulations the beast looks good!

Sorry I can`t see it on the pictures, but do you have some cut outs on the back of the front fender?

I know a fully enclosed one protects the engine and the rad from all sorts of crap, but it could blanket off a lot of fresh moving air from the radiator. Maybe the issue with the older one occured because it`s narrover (more of it`s area is covered) while with the wider new the problem is less of an issue?
__________________
Bubba Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #47
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
No cut outs. been watching the temps and tried adding the fan first. Still has not switch on even at 215F. May still need vents after I add radiator guard. The stock radiators are really wide and stick out a long ways so it still may be OK. Running hiway speed at 90F ambient temps the bike temp is 190 to 200F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
Congratulations the beast looks good!

Sorry I can`t see it on the pictures, but do you have some cut outs on the back of the front fender?

I know a fully enclosed one protects the engine and the rad from all sorts of crap, but it could blanket off a lot of fresh moving air from the radiator. Maybe the issue with the older one occured because it`s narrover (more of it`s area is covered) while with the wider new the problem is less of an issue?
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #48
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bubba Bauer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Lower Mitcham SA
Oddometer: 156
Thumb temps

190-200 at highway speeds? What do you reckon is the engine puts out a good power?

No experience with V2-s probably they are a bit warmer ( i reckon back pot not cooled as well by the wind+ bigger bang) than S4-s, but from my Yami R6 racing days the ideal temp should be around 75-85 C which should be 160-190 F (at least google said so) but you`ll see an smell on the oil if you bake your engine anyways


Not want to be smart just curious... I`m really intrested about engine temps cooling whatever I think oil+coolant temps are a major factor in engine longevity and Australia gets hot as hell during summer
__________________
Bubba Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #49
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Louisiana
Oddometer: 154
I would'nt bother with a larger radiator, for mine and most others 210 is average cruising temp, 245 is not very alarming while sitting still, even with those temps I've only heard my fan kick on once in 70k miles.

I actually checked it regularly to make sure the thing actually worked hahaha.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #50
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
I think the specs say 73HP on these, I ride at 6000 to 8000 ASL so actual output is much less probably 25% less. I cruise at about 5000 to 6000 RPM and 55-65mph with the 47 tooth sprocket,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
190-200 at highway speeds? What do you reckon is the engine puts out a good power?

No experience with V2-s probably they are a bit warmer ( i reckon back pot not cooled as well by the wind+ bigger bang) than S4-s, but from my Yami R6 racing days the ideal temp should be around 75-85 C which should be 160-190 F (at least google said so) but you`ll see an smell on the oil if you bake your engine anyways


Not want to be smart just curious... I`m really intrested about engine temps cooling whatever I think oil+coolant temps are a major factor in engine longevity and Australia gets hot as hell during summer
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RBnite's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Down by the river
Oddometer: 157
I believe you said something about "minor" head shake? Isn't that like a little bit pregnant? The bike is too heavy for those forks, or it needs more rake... be careful!
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #52
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
Head Shake

I only notice it at pretty hi speed over woop like bumps. Still trying to figure it out. Could be too little damping. I never fully bottom the forks and they even feel a little stiff, maybe because I down into the spring due to the extra weight. The rake is about 0.5 degrees more that I planned on and I have more offset in the triple clamp than my 450 KTM so should be more stable. May try to add some shims in the compression stack but so far I'm not too concerned since it does not get out of control. Should be very interesting in the sand. That should tell the tale on damping. I expect it too be a pig and wallow around a bit.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #53
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
Test Adventure

Took the SV out for an overnight trip last weekend. All went well. Ride report here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813795

Also added some radiator protection. Reborn from a Vstrom engine guard, Thanks Ditch.




elgato gordo screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 07:16 PM Reason: add ride report link
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #54
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
SAND Test

Got to run up about 1/4 mile in a sand ditch today. Not half bad once you get it going. I really think the big Shinko up front helps keep it on top. The sand was not way soft but pretty normal for around here. I think the ranting about "gotta have a 21 inch front tire" is way overdone. The 17s are available in wider sizes so they keep the bigger bike up on top better. We used to get some pretty wide 21 inch tires way back when but only things out now I've seen are 3.5 inches wide. My old XR650L used to tunnel really bad in the sand and it only weighed 300lbs or so.

After running about 150 mile on the dirt last weekend and trying sand today I'm happy with the 17 on front. Also the issue frame geometry is easier to deal with without adding to the diameter of the front wheel. So the only thing left is that the bigger wheels look better, but I can get over that for awhile.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #55
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 345
I find 17" really twitchy in the loose stuff. 21" tracks better, crosses obstacles easier, and tyre choice is much better.

However, there are indeed clearance issues if you intend to run more than, say, 240mm of suspension travel. Then there is either an unbearably high seat or a wheel hitting the cylinder head or radiator.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #56
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
That bike is pretty awesome looking, but you really need to do something about that front fender. Just makes the bike look like someone sheered off the nose. I run the 705's on my DR650, and they're a damn good choice if you're not doing a ton of soft sand work. I hadn't really thought there was much good to say about 17" fronts offroad, but you do make a very good case for it. Might have to check that out when I do the SM conversion.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #57
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I hadn't really thought there was much good to say about 17" fronts offroad, but you do make a very good case for it. Might have to check that out when I do the SM conversion.












BTW, Elgato. I love your SV. I think I'm going to do something similar with my ex-race SV.
__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #58
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Curvin, give me your motorcycle. I absolutely am digging the motard style. What tires are you running on it?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #59
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
B.Curvin - You should mod the SV, I'd go with a DR front end with 19 wheel and DR rear with 18 wheel, then the fork rake would not be too tuff to fix. Ya, riding in that mud I don't think 17 or 21 inch wheel makes much difference. The XR looks great with either size tires.

neo1piv014 - I agree about the fender but was lucky to get this one to fit with the radiator placement. I could chop on it but don't think it would look much better. You can put lipstick on a pig.....
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #60
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Curvin, give me your motorcycle. I absolutely am digging the motard style. What tires are you running on it?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
The bike is long gone and now lives with JTucker.

I ran my worn out Super Corsa slicks and DOTs that I had left over from racing my SV.

That's me against the wall in the leathers.





Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
B.Curvin - You should mod the SV, I'd go with a DR front end with 19 wheel and DR rear with 18 wheel, then the fork rake would not be too tuff to fix. Ya, riding in that mud I don't think 17 or 21 inch wheel makes much difference. The XR looks great with either size tires.
I'm either going to street fighter it, with making it comfortable being the priority. OR, I have forks, triples, brakes, wheels and a triple clicker Penske from a 2006 KTM 450SMR. I think it would fit nicely.

I should add, if I put the KTM stuff on it I'll probably lace up a 19" front.

They came off my old 525EXC.

__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW

B.Curvin screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 07:39 PM
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014