Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
akolleth OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
So am I crazy, Hack as a very first bike?

So at the tender age of 40, I finally decided to get off my rear and do something I have always wanted to do, get my motorcycle permit and start riding. I got my temps yesterday. I felt really old for a minute seeing all the 16 year taking their tests with me at the BMV. I am enrolled to take my BRC later this month. I really do plan to take things slow as I learn.

Having looked around for the last couple of years I really am in love with sidecars. I really, really want one. I have a couple of ideas of ones I would love, the main one being the venerable Ural setup.

Would it be a really stupid idea to get a hack as a first bike? I have read enough to know that bike riding and hack riding are two different beasts. Can you learn to ride a hack first, or should I spend a year or two learning to ride a bike first, then move on to hacks? I know most people seem to go that route, but would you recommend against just learning on a hack if I know that's where my heart truly lies.
akolleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
You can learn on three wheels. Go for it. I just hope the BRC will not screw you up to much.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
A lot depends upon what your expectations are.
I thoroughly enjoy riding a hack and when I daydream about "the next" bike it's invariably a hack. As a completely satisfied (!) Ural owner I thoroughly understood and accepted it's limitations prior to purchasing, they honestly aren't for everybody.
I'd suggest investigating sidecar specific training classes in your area where you can get a taste for them and some valuable instruction and experience.
The flea market area here plus several other forums frequently have some rigs worth investigating at acceptable prices. I would not recommend spending your lifes savings on a brand new or custom built hack (or any other style motorcycle) without enough experience to know what you like and dislike about certain bikes and styles aside from just looks.
As a first bike - sure. Crazy hepls too.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I think you are better served to start with a hack, then get a two wheeled bike, rather than starting on 2 wheels, and having to unlearn a few things for riding a hack.

That being said, definitely see if you can borrow a hack for a spin. Take a MSF intro class to get some time on two wheels. Then you can make an informed decision on what is best.

I started on 2, went through a phase where I only had a hack, but then just added a KLR to the stable cause i missed having 2 wheels some times.

I think you will find your question will be quickly answered if you find the opportunities to try both out first, before jumping in.
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 466
If you have no burning desire to also be out on two wheels, just go for the hack and leave things at that. After having my rig for these past few years with the intent of leaving two-wheeling behind -- too much arthritis and other issues here -- I would not want to go back to two wheels and end up forgetting about planting feet when I stop...and yes, that might get a chuckle or two, but I spent my first couple of months on a hack getting over the compulsion to drop a foot at every stop. So, do whatever you must to get your stamp, then do what you willed from the beginning! Staying alive on a motorcycle depends upon accepting full responsibility every time you might get hurt -- If you *ever* get hurt on a motorcycle it is *your* fault and *not* the fault of someone else even if s/he had done something wrong -- and it does not take any two-wheeling to learn that level of defensive operation of any motor vehicle.

leejosepho screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 07:21 AM
leejosepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
A lot depends upon what your expectations are.
I thoroughly enjoy riding a hack and when I daydream about "the next" bike it's invariably a hack. As a completely satisfied (!) Ural owner I thoroughly understood and accepted it's limitations prior to purchasing, they honestly aren't for everybody.
I'd suggest investigating sidecar specific training classes in your area where you can get a taste for them and some valuable instruction and experience.
The flea market area here plus several other forums frequently have some rigs worth investigating at acceptable prices. I would not recommend spending your lifes savings on a brand new or custom built hack (or any other style motorcycle) without enough experience to know what you like and dislike about certain bikes and styles aside from just looks.
As a first bike - sure. Crazy hepls too.
Lots of good advice in ALL of the responses!
But I think you should get sidecar specific training before doing ANYTHING else! That way you'll at least have an idea if it's something you really want to do.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Good point. Lots of low mileage urals come up for sale out there from people who jumped in head first........Just remember you will never get back (in terms of $) what you put into a hack, so make sure you like it!
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,943
You're not crazy at all.

In fact you're ideally placed as a sidecar rider because you've never ridden a solo.

The only experience you'll gain by riding a solo first is gear changing and use of the clutch.
Everything else will have to be unlearned and forgotten in order to master a sidecar outfit,as they are so totally different.

Go for your dream sidecar outfit.....but please get riding tuition.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
You're not crazy at all.

In fact you're ideally placed as a sidecar rider because you've never ridden a solo.

The only experience you'll gain by riding a solo first is gear changing and use of the clutch.
Everything else will have to be unlearned and forgotten in order to master a sidecar outfit,as they are so totally different.

Go for your dream sidecar outfit.....but please get riding tuition.
x2
Yeah what Tarka said. Wish I would have discovered sidecars 20 years ago.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
It's been done

Whole generations of people in England and Europe who could never have afforded a car post WWII learned on sidecars and often never bothred to get car driving licences.
You can do it, just take it slow and do your research.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Lots of good advice in ALL of the responses!
But I think you should get sidecar specific training before doing ANYTHING else! That way you'll at least have an idea if it's something you really want to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
... you're ideally placed as a sidecar rider because you've never ridden a solo....
Yep, it can be difficult to "unlearn" ingrained 2-wheel training/habits. For example, Mrs. SwampFox is a sidecar rider 1st and has participated in sidecar specific training; she has no 2-wheel training and has yet to ride a 2-wheel motorcycle.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
akolleth OP
n00b

Thanks for the advice

My vision so far is to find a mid-late 70's Honda (CB 750 maybe?) or a BMW that is not a good candidate for restoration and use that for a hack. I have experience welding, fabricating, and building custom things from metal (from a decade of amateur gunsmithing) so I am planning to make my own sidecar sub frame and frame. Maybe even the tub if I get some more practice in with the welder on thinner sheet metal.

I have been greedily eating up any info I can from here about designs and whatnot. I am starting to get a batter understanding of what is involved in fabricating my own sidecar. Seems like a lot of work, but definitely doable.

In the end I want to have a hack combo that screams old school, and has a distinct 40's or 50's military look to it. Like if you squint you could think it had come from the front lines of WWII.

Something similar to this one I found here from an inmate lowflyn71 but with a more OD scheme to it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1305424509

akolleth screwed with this post 09-04-2014 at 11:05 AM
Old 09-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
akolleth OP
n00b

And I have looked at Urals. They would be perfect for what I want, except for the price. Cheapest I have seen is around $4K or more and I can't afford that. No matter how cool It would be-
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
seekeronsaltspring
Crazy David

Oddometer: 396
Still cheaper in the long run of things. Urals are build as a unit so its matched for the load and operstions.
seekeronsaltspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by akolleth View Post
So at the tender age of 40, I finally decided to get off my rear and do something I have always wanted to do, get my motorcycle permit and start riding. I got my temps yesterday.

Would it be a really stupid idea to get a hack as a first bike?.
All well and good. However before purchasing any sidecar first check with your state motorcycle testing division.

Some jurisdictions are unable to or unwilling to accomodate a sidecar equipped motorcycle in the testing process. In short you must pass
your final exam on a solo machine.

If you were in the UK there may well be no problem. North America though tends to be solo motorcycle oriented in particular the testing for your license.

You may well end up, all being equal with a license specifying it to be valid for three wheeled machines and not for solo. However if you pass your final exam on a solo, then there's nothing to prevent you assembling a sidecar rig.
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote