Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
New To Me 2001 Ural Patrol

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of picking up my first Sidecar rig, It is a 2001 Ural Patrol 2WD. I was in NC for work and walked into one of the dealers and saw it there. After sending a text to my wife joking i was going to ride it home. She texted me back "absolutely!". At that point the conversations began on logistics and finalizing pricing. It belonged to the owner of the dealership who has three of them. They used to be a Ural dealer for awhile then got out of it. It has 4100 miles on it and has had some work done to it. the intake hoses were replaced, new fuel lines, and fresh fluids, new battery. the alternator might have been replaced since it is blue in color. The rest of the Ural looks great. No oil leaks I can see. They let me hear it run and it sounds really good.
Since I live in CT I will be Uhauling it home. Id love to ride it home but a new to me bike and being down here for work and a holiday weekend coming up Id rather truck it encase anything happens. I really want to go through it before it sees too many miles.
I enjoy tinkering and repairing so Im ok with repairs. Any comments on the 2001 models? Any issues? Suggestions?
I have been reading a lot about the alternator issues and other minor things. Also heard mention of crankshaft issues. any way to prevent those?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Here are some pics

originalspacerob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalspacerob View Post
I have been reading a lot about the alternator
Bin the Hand Grenade and fit an L424 with solid state regulator.
There's no need to waste megabucks on an ND unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalspacerob View Post
. Also heard mention of crankshaft issues. any way to prevent those?
Let it rev in lower gears rather than lugging at low revs on hills or in headwinds.
Keep the oil clean and fresh (please don't ask what oil though).
Other than if away on a long trip,I change my engine oil at 2000km intervals on my 650.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Replace the strap on the trunk lid and Enjoy the ride.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you very much for the Replies. I have the Uhaul all lined up to possibly pick it up today. I worked out the money situation with my bank and ATM card so I will be able to pay it off today. Its pretty exciting. I'm glad I am not riding it home since people say they take a bit to get used to. Kinda like riding an ATV from what people say, but with a rig on the side that can lift up if not careful. Ive ridden ATV's and they can be interesting at times. Read about putting ballast in to start also. I'll go through it pretty well once I get home. I wouldnt be surprised if valves need to be checked and carbs synched. Even if they said they did them it doesn't hurt to check.
Any ideas where to get a service manual either as a pdf or paperback. I am also looking for the owners manual. I don't believe they have it but they may have it there today. The owners son was going to check with his father.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
The best service manual I have seen is on line.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
8_Ball
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Nice grab, congrats! Plently of fun coming up with this rig!
Mike
8_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
nk14zp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Congrats.
nk14zp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,136
I'm jealous. Nice looking hack
Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
Yeah the 650's can have a weak crank. Best way to avoid that issue is DO NOT lug the motor. On the alt, yeah some were very unreliable but doesn't mean your will be. The Denso upgrade is a great option but expensive. I'd keep the RPOC alt till you have problems. Yours may just last forever...may???
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,061
Check out sovietsteeds.com
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
extheflow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Nice ride!, those fake bullet hole stickers though
extheflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,753
Nice score!

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New To Me 2001 Ural Patrol

Thank you. I just picked it up today after work was done for the day. We got it up in the back of the Uhaul and it will sit there until 3am Friday when I start the ride home. Three of us pushed while the owner of the shop who was the owner of it drove it up the ramp. It was pretty steep and just ural width. I have been working down here for the last week and a half so this will be a nice adventure home with a new bike.

The bike is in better shape than I thought. They protected it with silicone spray and did fluids and stuff. I think it needs a carb synch but I will find out when I get home. Seems like the cylinders don't increase rpm at the same rate. My R1150 GS was like that when I was synching it and it was slightly off. We will see.

I have not read up much on the alternator. But If I understand correctly it looks like the bearings go and it chews up the timing gears? If that's the case maybe I can just put new bearings in it. If that is what causes it to fail. I will read some more but if anyone can clarify that would be great.

I'll check out soviet steeds and see what is going on there. I have a lot to learn. I am also going to look for the sidecar yellow book. Saw it mentioned and the owner of the shop told me about it also.
Im going to use a heat gun and soften the adhesive on the stickers and take them off. They look kinda goofy. lol. Its cool you saw them in the picture. When I was looking at the rig I didnt see them right away because I was looking at other areas of the bike.
One good thing is the Uhaul only has 1900 miles on it. nice ride and eases my mind for the journey.
I also found a 2000 Ural repair manual online, Is the 2001 and 2000 very similar? I was reading through it and so far it seems to be. Its interesting that the transmission uses 20/50W oil like the engine and not gear oil. I see the final drive does however.

Here is a pic from today

And a video of it running and partially tied in.
https://vimeo.com/104581183

originalspacerob screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 09:34 PM
Old 08-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,948
The Hand Grenade problems are far more than early bearing demise.

Shafts can shear without prewarning which can lead to the sheared end complete with drive gear getting jammed between the timing gears and crankcase tower.....mega serious damage.
One of mine failed in this way but luckily the sheared end sat atop the gear tower and didn't jam.

Also there's a common failure of connections between commutator and rotor windings.

This can open a whole world of debate ad nauseum but I'd say do not ballast the chair.
Learn the machine the way it is.
Ballasting will only create a false sense of security and you'll end up back at square one come the day the ballast is removed.
It may feel flighty and light but the sidecar won't come flying up over your head ...it takes a fair effort to raise the chair even halfway up.

Do get some form of tuition.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #15
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,853
Nice looking rig.
Good rider training manuals here for free.
http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote