User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
The Rat OP
trust me!

Oddometer: 67
Quick DMC question...

I'm weighing the options for the replacement of my Ural rig. I have an 05 R1150GS that will be the tug... Three options...

1. Build my own subframe and mount a Velorex car (I did it on a 96 Triumph Sprint and it was a great rig....a lot of fun). But... A lot of work and I'm not sure I want to get that deep. $1,200 sidecar $300 for parts

2. Go with a DMC subframe and a Velorex (beefed up frame, axle etc...) $800 subframe $1,200 sidecar $300? Axle, wheel etc...

3. Go with the DMC M72B (which would look cool with my Ural accessories!)

So....the question is, do the DMC sidecars come with the subframe included in the price? If so, then the $3999 price is a no brainier. Add $500 for shipping and I'd order one Monday morning! If not...an additional $800 makes it worth thinking about welding this winter.

Just pretending to be a poseur
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" (Lemon Law Victim)
2004 R1150 GS blue/white
1990 DR350, 2005 R100S Boxer Cup Replika
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
The Rat OP
trust me!

The Sprint rig.
Attached Images

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
You could save the shipping and shop at Claude's. A little north of you in Pa.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
The Rat OP
trust me!

I looked at Freedom...but.... They appear to be over the $4k range. Pet peeve of mine are websites that doesn't list prices. Anyhow...having done a bunch of 'projects' money creep is waaaay too easy! I'd like to keep total invested under $10k and I have $5,500 in the bike. (There is a NICE R1150GS hack for sale in NJ for $9K and hasn't sold all summer. Kinda sets the 'market value')

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
I looked at Freedom...but.... They appear to be over the $4k range. Pet peeve of mine are websites that doesn't list prices. Anyhow...having done a bunch of 'projects' money creep is waaaay too easy! I'd like to keep total invested under $10k and I have $5,500 in the bike. (There is a NICE R1150GS hack for sale in NJ for $9K and hasn't sold all summer. Kinda sets the 'market value')
2 things;
1. You get what you pay for.
2. You can't build it for $9k

Buy the one in NJ
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Claude is as honest and upfront as they come. Call Freedom. Talk to him. Mention your budget. He doesn't show prices on his Webpage because it's hard to standardize prices on custom work, but he has a well deserved reputation for fairness.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 176
I'd invest the time into talking to Claude. Much of the things in the sidecar field are done on a one off or small scale and that makes it hard to quote prices.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
The Rat OP
trust me!

+1 on calling Freedom.
+1 on you can't build THAT rig for $9k (but I have an emotional attachment to my GS and I do need/can't afford two GS's)

now....you get what you pay for....well... True. But (just as important) build the setup that will do 95% of the riding you do. A beefed up Volelex will do that (just as well as a $20k Hannigan rig) for me.

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
There is a NICE R1150GS hack for sale in NJ for $9K and hasn't sold all summer.

It sold.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Don't mess around call Claude. I just had my 03 GSA/Ural that was originally was built by the PNW boys. His stuff broke so much I took it to Claude had a total rebuild done. It was the smartest thing I did. My rig handles great and nothing broke. You won't be sorry...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,598
Call Claude !!!!!! You get what you pay for in the sidecar business he's a Hannigan favorite also, Velorex is too light.DB
Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
The Rat OP
trust me!

The question was...

"Does anyone know if the subframe is included in the DMC price?"

I'll call Claude.

I've built the Sprint/Velorex ride, a Moto Guzz Ambassador/Ural rig, owned a Soviet M72 (1952) a '96 650 Ural, a '12 Ural and a BMW R65/Velorex rig... I'm always amazed by people that proclaim that a Velorex is "too light". Yet...hundreds have been hooked to Sportsters (550-580lbs dry) with no ill effects... People wouldn't think twice with one on a Bonneville (460 dry)...but.... Hook it to a GS (505lbs dry).... Physics is physics... Sooo someone that weighs 250 lbs on a Bonneville would outweigh me and a GS.... I think the Velorex remains a viable option. Thanks.

2004 R1150 GS blue/white
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
"Does anyone know if the subframe is included in the DMC price?"

I'll call Claude.

I've built the Sprint/Velorex ride, a Moto Guzz Ambassador/Ural rig, owned a Soviet M72 (1952) a '96 650 Ural, a '12 Ural and a BMW R65/Velorex rig... I'm always amazed by people that proclaim that a Velorex is "too light". Yet...hundreds have been hooked to Sportsters (550-580lbs dry) with no ill effects... People wouldn't think twice with one on a Bonneville (460 dry)...but.... Hook it to a GS (505lbs dry).... Physics is physics... Sooo someone that weighs 250 lbs on a Bonneville would outweigh me and a GS.... I think the Velorex remains a viable option. Thanks.
Ok you have more experience than I do but if you can find a 505 pound oilhead GS I'll be surprised and I own two of them . The Velorex is viable but it's light it's going to be up in the air allot and will probably have issues if abused. I would guess allot depends on how you plan on using it.DB
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 964
I've got a Velorex car on a KLR and added weight to the frame (steel plate) helped it stay down in R turns. Have used it on approx 5k miles of dirt roads and two track and have had no problems. And as mentioned Claude is a good guy to talk to and he'll listen to what you want to do and send price lists to you.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote