User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
mallorypaige OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
sidecar

Fully rescinding the proposition. Thanks for all the input.

mallorypaige screwed with this post 03-30-2015 at 07:20 AM
mallorypaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,876
As a retired insurance agent, my first thought is "How is this guy going to get a 3-month insurance policy with at least a $2 million liability limit covering my rig while he is using it?" This is my first question because, of course, as everyone knows, the livery exclusion contained in virtually every U.S. personal auto policy would act to eliminate all coverage during the rental period. (That's tongue-in-cheek--I'm sure almost nobody knows about this exclusion! )

I'm not at all concerned about the rig getting totaled--I could require a $20,000 cash security deposit to cover the full value of the rig. But if the rig is involved in an at-fault accident, as the registered owner I would find myself at the pointy end of a million dollar lawsuit. With no insurance.

On the other hand, if I was to lend out my rig for free with no remuneration at all, well that's completely OK insurance-wise. Full coverage remains in effect.

So, anybody who decides to do this, my advice is to either do it for free, or make sure there is absolutely no money trail, no barter trail, no quid pro quo trail, nothing that a lawyer can find. No cell phone videos. Nothing to show that you rented out the rig.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
mallorypaige OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the insurance input!

That's definitely one of the details to be agreed upon before rental.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Prmurat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
What is your budget for rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
mallorypaige OP
Adventurer

Hi Purmrat,

The budget really depends on location, availability and rig details. If you have a possible option, I'd love to know more.

Thanks!
Mallory
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #6
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
You could buy a used one for less...

Than renting a sidecar outfit. But that'd require capital, which I suspect you don't have. I suspect what you're really looking for is someone to finance your latest scheme... Good luck getting $$$ out of us, most of us here have more than a bit of experience in life. Why not just get a job and earn the $$$ to buy a sidecar?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 7,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
You could buy a used one for less...

Than renting a sidecar outfit. But that'd require capital, which I suspect you don't have. I suspect what you're really looking for is someone to finance your latest scheme... Good luck getting $$$ out of us, most of us here have more than a bit of experience in life. Why not just get a job and earn the $$$ to buy a sidecar?

Whoa !!!

There goes your big chance at being famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorypaige View Post
I will be writing about the adventure for various magazines and publications, as well as hosting live events along the way.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,763
Well you've lit up the cynics ! The sidecar folks are more than a little protective of the children ! Your best bet would be a Ural dealer looking for a promo chance.DB

http://mallorypaige.com/
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #9
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Well you've lit up the cynics ! The sidecar folks are more than a little protective of the children ! Your best bet would be a Ural dealer looking for a promo chance.DB

http://mallorypaige.com/

She's left herself two months to obtain a sidecar for an alleged three month journey. Not what you'd call good planning.

The dealer will want to see a plan of what all it is that she has organized to this point. Schedules, what publications the articles, if any, will be seen in. The dealer will want to know what's in it for him/her, which is only fair. Is there a definite article forthcoming, or is it to be a freelance submission subject to review before publication ?. What form will the "hosting live events along the way" take ? Ad hoc or organised ? If organised why were these dates and locations not mentioned to encourage a source for a vehicle ? Can she even ride a sidecar ?

It is what it is.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
She's left herself two months to obtain a sidecar for an alleged three month journey. Not what you'd call good planning.

The dealer will want to see a plan of what all it is that she has organized to this point. Schedules, what publications the articles, if any, will be seen in. The dealer will want to know what's in it for him/her, which is only fair. Is there a definite article forthcoming, or is it to be a freelance submission subject to review before publication ?. What form will the "hosting live events along the way" take ? Ad hoc or organised ? If organised why were these dates and locations not mentioned to encourage a source for a vehicle ? Can she even ride a sidecar ?

It is what it is.

Your powers of observation go far beyond the leprechauns !
Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
mallorypaige OP
Adventurer

Wow. Had no idea this rental proposition would be so upsetting. Not looking for handouts. Have a job. The advrider community has generally been so positive and helpful as I've been planning for months, so I just thought someone here might benefit making some rental income on a rig they're not currently using. Perhaps I was mistaken and will continue pursuing my other options.

Thanks,
Mallory
Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
elizilla
Not Quitting

Oddometer: 81
you r doin it wrng

I have had some awesome adventures on other people's motorcycles, and loaned my own motorcycles for other people to have awesome adventures. But in all cases, it was because I had invested a lot of time in the forums where I met those people. I was able to fly to another continent and ride 5000 miles on a bike belonging to someone whose face I had never seen before the trip, because we had years of shared history on the forums where we met. I wasn't just someone who dropped in with a weighty request and no past history on the forum that would let people assess who I am and what I'm about.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Your powers of observation go far beyond the leprechauns !

Share the love, Dave. GearHeadGrrrl pretty much picked it, I suspect.

By the way, where is your sorry arse at the moment ? Any closer to NM ?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
mallorypaige OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
I have had some awesome adventures on other people's motorcycles, and loaned my own motorcycles for other people to have awesome adventures. But in all cases, it was because I had invested a lot of time in the forums where I met those people. I was able to fly to another continent and ride 5000 miles on a bike belonging to someone whose face I had never seen before the trip, because we had years of shared history on the forums where we met. I wasn't just someone who dropped in with a weighty request and no past history on the forum that would let people assess who I am and what I'm about.
Yep, I totally see that now. You're absolutely right. The relationship here was not built up properly before making an ask like this.

To be quite honest I'd just like to totally rescind the proposition, delete this thread if possible and carry on with my other sidecar options.

Thanks everyone for your input,
Mallory
Old 03-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #15
elizilla
Not Quitting

Oddometer: 81
Ask for lodging and local guides

People love to live vicariously through other travelers. They can put you up, feed you, and show you the things in their town that are most worth seeing. The forum gets to know you as your various hosts post their tales, and more people will line up to host.

Lodging is a huge cost. Finding the little secret places on your own is time consuming. Running into mechanical difficulty on the road can be a disaster that would be wholly mitigated and turned into just another kind of fun when you have local contacts.

Seriously! Visit us, it'll be much nicer and easier, than trying to rent things from people who aren't in the rental business. And it makes travel possible when it would otherwise be out of reach. I would be very happy to put you up if you came through my town. I'd show you the local motorcycling roads, take you out to my favorite local restaurant and fight you for the check, help you change your oil or fix something that's broken, and load you down with chocolate chip cookies for the next stage of your journey. I have received this kind of hosting myself in places all over North America and Europe and it's made my journeys fabulous.

elizilla screwed with this post 03-30-2015 at 07:37 AM
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote