Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1486
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
I read through the thread and bought an 06 tourist this weekend. Looking forward to all the fun you foilhats are having.
Howdy pjm204,

Welcome to the wacky world of Ural's. i don't think this thread has turned out the way bokad had intended rather then put folks off from buying a Ural, reading through it, it would appear that its one of the best sales brochures ever produced.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #1487
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
The thread that won't die... LOL

NO Shit!!!! I guess some people have some opinions???

(I do agree it has been kinda fun and as Mr COB pointed out, it is probably helping Ural more than hurting...)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #1488
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 468
This thread is still alive? It makes me want to buy a Gobi Gear Up...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #1489
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency View Post
This thread is still alive? It makes me want to buy a Gobi Gear Up...
This thread is like herpes. It has flare ups and then goes away.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #1490
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Quality so bad even the photos come out in black and white!
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #1491
kawzak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
How about listing the high milage Urals

Just to make this go on and on, how about listing high milage Urals? With or without a list of any issues you had. I plan to keep mine running for as long as I live. Too much fun. People are really missing out on these simple machines.It helps you become "one" with the bike, if you know what I mean.
kawzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #1492
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
Just to make this go on and on, how about listing high milage Urals? With or without a list of any issues you had. I plan to keep mine running for as long as I live. Too much fun. People are really missing out on these simple machines.It helps you become "one" with the bike, if you know what I mean.
Certainly isn't the highest mileage I have heard of from a Ural, but our 2007 tourist is at 35,000km now.

Problems... lets see....

One japanese carb (replaced under warranty, fluke failure)

Brakelight had screw that kept backing out - temporarily fixed on road, ended up replacing entire unit (redid an old honda unit to fit... works fine.)

One turn signal came apart inside (replaced with removed extra turn signal from other side)

Steering bearings just replaced

2 rear brake springs replaced (bad batch as it turned out)

Rest has been routine maintenance - it's my daily rider into work, it's also been from Toronto to the west coast. (And I feel confident enough in the bike I would take it again tomorrow if I had the time.)

It isn't the fastest rig, it isn't the least labour intensive... but it is a lot of fun (and for me, as a rider with no car license.... practical too. Grocery runs, runs to pick up lumber, it has done it all)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #1493
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
After watching half of this video, I want to buy one and ride it into the most remote places... Is there something wrong with me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplePete View Post

Oh, and here is a video I found on Irbit Ural

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #1494
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
100mpg - is there something wrong with you? Probably, but I don't think it is bike related :-)
Riding is fun. That is why we do it. Urals put smiles on faces until they break. Mine is going just fine for now and I hope in continues for 3 more years. After that, my kid will be old enough to ride behind me on my other bikes, so the Ural will probably move on to the next family, just like the owner before me did. That is the plan anyway...
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #1495
Paradox Pete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
A few reasons why I woudl not buy any new manuf. motorcycle EXCEPT an Ural..

The anti-Ural/Ural riders thread sucked me into it's vortex for more hours than I can afford...

This is a partial reply to the negative talk.

I'me old and beat-up and I ride 99.9% alone, and on bad roads in remote areas.
I NEED 2wh. dr. and reverse on a heavy outfit.

No device devised and built by man is idiot-proof or totally reliable...There are guys who could break a ball-bearign with a rubber mallet..And there is just plain badluck..
Last new pickup I bought had clutch problems...I've ahd factory ammo blow-up decently maintained firearms...

Soem ill-fortune "just happens"....Live with it and move on
If is due to your own failings, leanr a better approach or fidn a new hobby/means of tranpostation, weapon less apt to blow-up, etc...

I really like the man's comment to the effect: "Who are you going to 'balme' as your body ages and begins to 'break-down' ?"

What many who read and commented on this thread don't seem to get is the persoanl attacks. basically: "If you ride an Ural, you are stoopid..."
I rode Amer.Bashkir Curly horses, mainly with mid- 1800's saddles and plaited rawhide hackamore in fairly remote, steep country, for a decade of my life..Great trail horses or endurance horses, but not for everyone.
I liked many of their traits but I never implied that people who had other breeds of horses, or different rigging were stupid, or attacked their choices other than to say, "Here's why this would not work-out well for ME..."

There are no real surprises in this abomanible thread other than what I perceive as some patience and STILL a willingness to help and let the willfully ignorant benefit from YEARS of hands-on experience by Ural riders.
The knowledgeable and helpful GENTLEMEN are the same ones whose posts have helped ME or encouraged ME on Soviet Steeds and here on ADVRider.

The guys who delight in pissing in other peoples' soup are, I guess, as God made them...Willfully ignorant, bumptious, rude and spiteful.
I've been "told" by them that I am stupid because I bought a new Ural, that my bike is unsafe and unreliable(I've put more miles on it on rough roads and trails than on my Jap hack, and the Ural has not suffered a broken frame....)

I have had several things happen that required warrantee work (not a dime out of my pocket,and"Speciba"(thank you) to IMWA and all there:_)
One ex: Gas tank developted a leak at weld of L.rear tank bracket...
I told IMWA what had gone wrong and wit no weaseling, they sent me a brand new tank.
I have NEVER in my 60-some years met anyone who honored warrantees more cheerfully and helpfully...Certainly not H-D, who did NOTHING for me when rear axles bent, Not all the other foot-draggers, who came thru reluctantly but implied that it was somehow MY fault something broke or went wrong...
There was no "Ship the tank in question to us and we will examine it to determine the extent, if any, or our liability and to see if you are lieing."
Nope...They manned-up and whipped me the new tank ASAP...
I got to keep the old oen and it has been repaired, so I have a "spare" tank :-)

Mr.Cob has been very helpful over the ph. and by e-mail, and I have the benefit of several of his improvments: skid-plate, re-enforced L.crashbar/footpeg, clutch modifications...(I added a pair two-stage UNI airfilters myself, and have at least twice the filtration area of the K&N in the stock houseing as well as trapping the fine volcanic dust this area is infested with much better..Better low-end/mid-range and about 4 mpg better as well :-)
He came over here to ride three deer seasons ago, on what happened to be the 1st day of deer season.
Lots of traffic on the Forest Circus roads, and all were intersted in our bikes and friendly.
One truck pulled over obligingly so we coudl get by adn I heard one man say to the other, "Dot iss an Oorahl he iss rideeng." :-)
Turned out to be Russian emmgrant deer hunters who have since turned-out to be very good friends of mine...
I greatly look fwd. to their return every deer season sicne, and have helped get permission for them to hunt pvt. land...(I wish they were my neighbors rather thatn the smugglers of Peruvian Marching Powder on one side and the dope-grower/peddlers on the other, and all the scum they attract to, use, buy, or deliver "product"... :-(

I would have missed out on ALOT if I wasn't riding an Ural...
As to reliability, especially on the roads and trails I ride on, it's as good as any, and better than most...

I am no mechanic, but I can maintain my simple, non-computerized Ural, and if I need parts, IMWA will ship them quicker than some can be got for my 40-some yr-old farm trucks.

If you have held your nose and waded thru the festering gut-pile that parts of this thread ARE, rest assured, that if you accept the Ural for what it is, and that it's a damned shame it doesn't have a compound low 1st gear on a 5-speed trans. , but that you can learn how to run rough country despite this.
It's not bike for the slab (IMO) , it is GREAT for 2ndary roads and backroads.
It is great for an older man who can barely walk and who has lost half his strength due to a bout with dbl. pneumonia.
It can be run pretty hard and pretty fast on rough roads by riders who are fit and know what they are doing.
You will "learn" by owning and riding cautiously and asking questions of more experienced riders (Who will give you the beneift of their experience, knowledge, and sometimes even "hands-on" help, un-grudgingly.)

Davo , the artist formerly-known as Paradox Pete
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #1496
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
I put 120 miles on mine yesterday, it was awesome and such a good workout.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #1497
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
The Ural has low compression (like 8.6 to 1) compared to more modern bikes having at least 11 to 1 compression ratios. Engine braking is less effective in low compression engines.
That said, I would use my brakes more that my engine for braking. Brake pads are cheap, clutches aren't. I would use it some but sparingly.
My Ural had wiring issues, but that was due to age and the previous owners tinkering.
The only brake failure I have ever experienced was on a Sportster and I was running it too fast down a mountain road. The brakes just went soft and then it felt like they were greased. I was able to slow it down and change my pace.
Riding a sidecar is a thinking persons game. You have to plan ahead for turns , hills and stops.
You should try engine braking with a flathead!
The compression ratio is about 5.5:1 on a sidevalve bike and does nothing towards slowing the bike down after the first 3-5 seconds of dropping to a lower gear.
Original Rooskie brake shoes are something akin to linoleum tile, don't wear out, and don't stop worth crap! I'd bet both my 50 year old bikes still have the original shoes.
And yes, you plan most of your stops with Map Quest!!!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #1498
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Plan stops with Mapquest or aim for something cheap and preferably soft :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #1499
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 969
Paradox Pete

Pete, you should change your name to Practical Pete, Best reply ever on this thread!!!

Enjoy the ride
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #1500
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvardi View Post
as a rider with no car license....
Awesome, I would love to have a motorcycle license with a car endorsement.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote