Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #1846
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
In support of the above statement by Mr. Cob regarding Seafoam I have to say that it is by far one of the best carb treatment products I have used. I've tried them all and Seafoam really works best and regular doses will keep the carbs working on anything that has one. Now back to your regular programming.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #1847
Sunnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

I can't help it, I still think this is the BEST Ural promotional thread that has ever existed, Ilya should be giving bokad a kickback for all the Ural's this thread has sold. Its also a very good read to learn about all the highly trained motorcycle professionals and those who are afraid of getting a bit of dirt under their nails to realize that perhaps a Ural is NOT suited to them, that they would doing themselves and the brand a real big favor to look elsewhere to fulfill their expectations of the perfect machine.

Still the folks at Ural continue to pursue their dream of building a better and better machine that fills the needs of folks who want and enjoy something that still has an edge to it, something real, not a cookie-cutter, computer designed, plastic thing with no mechanical soul. So please continue to post to this thread, the longer it goes the more Ural's it sells and the more laughs it gives to us who truly ride the HELL out of these damned things and enjoy every minute of it.
To be absolutely honest, Dave, I would prefer any other type of promotion, but this one.

Ilya
Sunnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #1848
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Dont tell me what not to do!

I hate people telling me what to do and what not to do so I went out and bought one. Yah boo sucks.

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #1849
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
I still think Ural should work on an adventure solo.

A modernized R80G/S should sell like hotcakes. I'd be tempted.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #1850
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,365
+10 for Seafoam. Great product. I used it in the Bonnie rig last year. It had sat with fuel in it for years, with a grand total of 72 miles on the odometer. MrsDonkeys picked it up in Cali, trailered it to NC, changed the oil, and we were off on a 2000mi trip the next day. The carbs were a mess, but I put a full can of seafoam in the tank and just ran the bike. It took about 150 miles to sort out, but it cleaned the carbs. By 400 miles, with a normal dose of seafoam in the tank, the bike was running like the new bike that it really was.

Now when I deploy, all the bikes get a shot of seafoam in the tank before I leave. I came back to a one kick Ural yesterday, and put 200 fun miles on it.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1851
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,224
uh-oh

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c

FLYING EYEBALL screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 11:53 AM
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1852
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
uh-oh
I'm also Southeast of Seattle, and have portable welding equipment, send I PM If I can be of help.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #1853
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'm also Southeast of Seattle, and have portable welding equipment, send I PM If I can be of help.

Thank you, Barry

I'm headed to my buddies in maple valley right now to show him the strut and pictures of the frame.

I would think he will be able to handle it without issue.

I'm glad it did this at home.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #1854
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy View Post
To be absolutely honest, Dave, I would prefer any other type of promotion, but this one.

Ilya
Howdy Ilya,

I understand your point, but this thread has sold Ural's. Reading through the thread its plain to see that some folks have undue expectations of what any machine to include a Ural is capable of, its also plain that many don't have the simple skills needed to maintain the rig nor the common sense needed to ride one safely.

That there are production faults from time to time is true, but this thread has also pointed out that there is not a motorcycle company anywhere else on the planet that stands behind its product and offers the after sale support that Ural does. Anyone or any company can make a mistake from time to time, its how they work on correcting that mistake and taking care of the customer who was affected by the mistake that counts. In this regard Ural and IMWA in particular stands head and shoulders above the crowd.

A few of us know just how few people are employed by Ural in the factory and in all other aspects of the companies operation, we also know how hard these people work to keep this SMALL company afloat and to continue to improve the product. Some of us know from first hand experience how many of the prototype parts are made and tested, some of us have had the honor of assisting in this endeavor and understand how so much is being done with so little in the way of capital and design resources.

I guess I have always been guilty of standing up for the underdog and call bullshit on those who in "MY" opinion either don't know what their talking about of who use a particular part failure on a particular machine as on indictment of the over all quality of the Ural motorcycle. Yes there are some problems but they are being addressed as they become known, what more can be asked from a company or a machine.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #1855
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
Thank you, Barry

I'm headed to my buddies in maple valley right now to show him the strut and pictures of the frame.

I would think he will be able to handle it without issue.

I'm glad it did this at home.
Cool,

I'm on 224th near lake Youngs, if you ever need help, please don't be shy, my pleasure to lend a hand.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1856
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Ilya,

I understand your point, but this thread has sold Ural's. Reading through the thread its plain to see that some folks have undue expectations of what any machine to include a Ural is capable of, its also plain that many don't have the simple skills needed to maintain the rig nor the common sense needed to ride one safely.
I'm with Dave on this one, Ilya

This thread, more than anything else, has sold me on getting one of my own. I almost bought a friends '07 with low km back in Dec, but the rumors of disc brakes and FI convinced me to wait for the new one. (Mixed feelings about the FI, but the pros outweigh the cons)

It IS clear that some people have unreasonable expectations about the rigs capabilities, while others see a single failure and expect the same from all of them. I ride an '07 R1200GS, and there's been lots of talk on the internet about final drive and EWS ring failures...and unrealistic claims that "they all do that". Obviously this just isn't true, for any brand.

What isn't so obvious to the casual observer is the high level of customer support Ural gives its customers. Only Ural owners and the people who know them are aware of the companies commitment to a quality product.
That, and people who read threads like this one and hear directly from owners...as long as it's not the foil hat wearing owners that think their bike can climb Everest with the old style original clutch

Although the machines have been around for 3/4 century, I think of it as a "new" company, when considering all the changes in the bike and the company in recent years. It's a company that's committed to producing an excellent product and standing behind it
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #1857
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Seafoam ???

I shut off my petcock and run the bike dry prior to any lengthy storage. Never had an issue.

My experience is that fuel can sit for quite a while without going bad. It just can't sit in your float bowl and jets for too long without gumming something up.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1858
revtech100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
The proof is in the pudding

Just getting back from Dawson and the D2D event. Two Urals were ther. I've been looking at them for three years and last week decided to get one. I talked to both owners. They are wildly enthusiastic. One rode from Copper Landing south of Anchorage. No issues. The other rode from Pagosa Springs, Colorado. No issues. This just confirmed my decision.
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #1859
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,365
I just spent several months overseas. I'm fortunate, and crazy enough, to have a garage full of motorcycles. One of these is a Husky TR650 that I bought a week before I left town. All I could think of was getting home and riding the Husky.

Then I got home. What's the first thing I did? Take the Ural for a weekend away to see the family. No many how many bikes I have, nothing has the character and fun factor of the Ural. Sure, it requires more work than the other bikes, but that is half the fun.

The Ural just has a character that no other bike has. The smiles per mile are amazing. Getting to take the nephew along for a 140 mile ride just adds to the fun. There are a lot of reasons not to buy a Ural, but the reasons to buy one are reasons that can't be replicated by any other motorcycle out there. This is the first Ural I've owned, and certainly won't be the last.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #1860
SkagitStan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
...This is the first Ural I've owned, and certainly won't be the last.
Sara the Hack is the first Ural I've owned, and it probably WILL be the last.
That's because I don't ever plan to get rid of it!
If some thing breaks, I fix it. Not much has broken. If something big ever breaks, it'll probably be my fault. I'll fix that too.