Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1861
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,417
I don't ever intend on getting rid of Boris. MrsDonkeys would probably divorce me just for mentioning the idea. However, I'm craving a second Ural. I'd like to take one and turn it into something along the lines of Cob's predator rig.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #1862
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy View Post
To be absolutely honest, Dave, I would prefer any other type of promotion, but this one.

Ilya
Iiya, I agree with Mr. Cob.

A couple of proverbs:

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

"There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." :)

Norm

Norms 427 screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:31 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #1863
CrankyTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
+2 with Mr. Cob
Ilya- it would certainly be nice if all the reviews were glowing endorsements of Urals,but given the technological level of these bikes we know that's not going to happen.This thread will weed out people looking for a gas and go,pay someone else to change your oil every 20000 miles,and never get your hands dirty experience.If they were to buy a Ural they'ed have a horrible experience and be posting what a POS it is all over the net.
Nothing will kill a sale faster than talking to a dissatisfied owner.
This thread also lets people like me see all the pros and cons and decide beforehand if a Ural is right for them.In my case it was"THAT'S what some people are calling problems?I can handle that easily.And all these guys are saying that if it does break the dealers step up and fix it under warranty like nobody else,two or four wheeled".
Nothing sells like a happy owner telling you how much fun he's had and giving you honest answers to your questions.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #1864
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
The fact that the Prez of the company posts in a thread like this, and reads it, is REASON ENOUGH to buy. I am 40 years old and I have never witnessed a better and faster response to issues from a motor vehicle manufacturer. Complaints about certain things get addressed by this company. My piece of shite 2010 Silverado, with 2 head gasket failures, wheel bearing failures has yet to garner a response from Government Motors Company NA Prez Mark Reuss.

As stated, I own a 2010 Chevy, 1974 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710m and my Ural. The Ural is the last vehicle I would sell and that would be to buy another Ural.

Sent from my Mobile

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916

Berger screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:32 AM
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1865
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
So, I like old bikes for what they are. It's not so much how well they work, but THAT they work and it's fun to tinker and enjoy the idiosyncrasies of the particular bike. The arguments I hear for buying a $15,000 new Ural on this thread are that the Urals do in fact require lots of mechanical attention, and that is part of the charm. But the next argument is the great warranty and that the dealers will fix them and are really great. Those just don't add up to me. Either you want to work on it or not. If I wanted an old slow bike to tinker on and ride, I just would never pay that much for it and wouldn't want a warranty. I'd actually be interested in getting an old Ural and goofing around with because they're kinda neat, but don't quite get the arguments for buying a new one. I'm an LC8 rider so I'm not scared of maintenance and I tinker with my bike constantly. I also got it used for dirt cheap because it sat rusting for years so maybe I'm just a cheapass! :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1866
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,010
After having a 95 Tourist then getting 06 Patrol i CAN tell you it's a night and day difference in quality and reliability. When the time comes to get a new one i'll put up the cash...FI and disc brakes and all...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1867
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by UralBerger View Post
The fact that the Prez of the company posts in a thread like this, and reads it, is REASON ENOUGH to buy. I am 40 years old and I have never witnessed a better and faster response to issues from a motor vehicle manufacturer.
Im with UralBerger. The other manufacturers are put to shame by the simple thing like reading and responding to this thread. If I ever sell the Ural it will be to buy another.

DAVE
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #1868
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
To be absolutely honest, Dave, I would prefer any other type of promotion, but this one.

Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post

That there are production faults from time to time is true, but this thread has also pointed out that there is not a motorcycle company anywhere else on the planet that stands behind its product and offers the after sale support that Ural does. Anyone or any company can make a mistake from time to time, its how they work on correcting that mistake and taking care of the customer who was affected by the mistake that counts. In this regard Ural and IMWA in particular stands head and shoulders above the crowd.
Dave has it right on this one. Whenever someone stops and asks me about my Ural, this is the part I talk about most. I have been blown away by not only the support of the company, but the support of the "Ural community". I talk about how when my transmission got fucked up how it was shipped to you guys while you were changing locations, and it still had a less then two week turn around time from when it left my bike and was put back in. It's moments like those that remind me as a consumer, that I purchased a motorcycle from the right company. A Ural may not be the fastest, sexiest, or most reliable, but it is a blast to drive and I feel like the company actually gives a shit a out me. If I had a BMW, their attitude would be "It's not us, it's you!".

The majority of complaints that I feel are genuine are about the dealers. I have found that the majority of dealers don't represent what you guys stand for.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1869
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Arrived home last night from n 8,000km 30 day Ural ride through sone of Oz's wonderful outback. Since Dec '09 we have covered 94,000km without any major problems. Quality is not as good as we expect these days, but then I find modern vehicles, both cars and bikes, bland and boring. The Ural, with all it's faults and quirks is always fun.

What the bike lacks in quality is more than covered by the outstanding support provided by the the Aussie distributed, Jon Taylor and his small team. I'd rather deal with them anyday than try to but parts for my other vehicles.

The bike now needs a good dose of TLC, the usual maintenance and cleaning required after a long trip, and a bit of other work and it will be ready foe another adventure.
UralNorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #1870
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by UralNorm View Post
Arrived home last night from n 8,000km 30 day Ural ride through sone of Oz's wonderful outback. Since Dec '09 we have covered 94,000km without any major problems. Quality is not as good as we expect these days, but then I find modern vehicles, both cars and bikes, bland and boring. The Ural, with all it's faults and quirks is always fun.

What the bike lacks in quality is more than covered by the outstanding support provided by the the Aussie distributed, Jon Taylor and his small team. I'd rather deal with them anyday than try to but parts for my other vehicles.

The bike now needs a good dose of TLC, the usual maintenance and cleaning required after a long trip, and a bit of other work and it will be ready foe another adventure.
Good to hear your Ural is going well for you Norm. Jon is personally driving from Kentucky to Melbourne as we speak to deliver our new Ural Yamal (as it's a limited edition, they assembled them in house and are delivering them ready to ride). Try getting the top man from the BMW or Honda importers to do that for you I think the warranty and service provided by the importer is one of the greatest things about this bike. Heres to hoping I don't need to use it
Paul.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #1871
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
Good to hear your Ural is going well for you Norm. Jon is personally driving from Kentucky to Melbourne as we speak to deliver our new Ural Yamal (as it's a limited edition, they assembled them in house and are delivering them ready to ride). Try getting the top man from the BMW or Honda importers to do that for you I think the warranty and service provided by the importer is one of the greatest things about this bike. Heres to hoping I don't need to use it
Paul.
Hi Paul,

A group of us Adventure riders "helped" Graham assemble 2 Yamals at Kentucky a fortnight ago, and you are lucky that your paddle is still with the bike! Despite our "help" both bikes ended up looking great.
We will be doing another VARSTy (Victorian Autumn Russian Sidecar Tour yipee) next March, and Heather will run the Russian Condar rally again late in November,and of course the 5 night Kangaroo Island ride 8 to 13 Sept is happening. Hope you can fibd tine to join in the fun
UralNorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #1872
prestonpaul
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralNorm View Post
Hi Paul,

A group of us Adventure riders "helped" Graham assemble 2 Yamals at Kentucky a fortnight ago, and you are lucky that your paddle is still with the bike! Despite our "help" both bikes ended up looking great.
We will be doing another VARSTy (Victorian Autumn Russian Sidecar Tour yipee) next March, and Heather will run the Russian Condar rally again late in November,and of course the 5 night Kangaroo Island ride 8 to 13 Sept is happening. Hope you can fibd tine to join in the fun
Hi Norm.
We bought the last Yamal so it may not be one of the two you assembled. We saw the paddle antics on Facebook, and it's good to hear it didn't accidentally get lost.
Definately keen to get in amongst it. I knew about K.I.R.S.T.Y but the other two are new to me. Don't think I have enough annual leave to make Kangaroo Island but the Russian Condar rally could be a goer and I like the sound of VARSTy as well. I think our first rally outing will be Dargo at this point
No doubt we'll catch up at some point.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #1873
Sunnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
Dave has it right on this one. Whenever someone stops and asks me about my Ural, this is the part I talk about most. I have been blown away by not only the support of the company, but the support of the "Ural community". I talk about how when my transmission got fucked up how it was shipped to you guys while you were changing locations, and it still had a less then two week turn around time from when it left my bike and was put back in. It's moments like those that remind me as a consumer, that I purchased a motorcycle from the right company. A Ural may not be the fastest, sexiest, or most reliable, but it is a blast to drive and I feel like the company actually gives a shit a out me. If I had a BMW, their attitude would be "It's not us, it's you!". .
We will make it our motto: "A company which gives a shit about you!" :-)
Sunnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #1874
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
We will make it our motto: "A company which gives a shit about you!" :-)
I will start on the t-shirts right away
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #1875
prestonpaul
What?

Picked up our new Yamal today. Having a hard time wiping the grin off my face.