User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #1921
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Perfect rig

The KLR rigs are great, I've had 6 hacks and I think going over 65 is inherently unsafe. The KLR would be a great setup.
If I had my money back, I'd get a BMW R1150GS (adv if the price was right) and put on a Dauntless Ural copy sidecar/subframe. Dauntless is 100% top notch... Shit...I wish I could do it over....

F*ck reverse, f*ck 2wd... Give me a Beemer !!!!!

Now if a truck would just back over my Ural while its at the dealer......

Just pretending to be a poseur
2009 Triumph Scrambler "Harvey Mushman"SOLD
2009 Suzuki DR650 SOLD 1975 BMW R75/6 café SOLD
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" 2004 R1150 GS blue/white
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #1922
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
I've had 6 hacks and I think going over 65 is inherently unsafe.

Say what ?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #1923
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Say what ?

I'm just sitting here, having a beer at the hotel, catching up on ADV, and suddenly I become that guy at the bar show trying profusely not to shoot beer through his nose.

65 is unsafe? Really? I wonder what I should do on the highway? I know, back it down to 50, that will keep me safe.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #1924
The Rat
trust me!

Let me see....

The layout of any sidecar is unstable, a compromise in every direction. Although getting a hack to 70 or 75 is easy (well on my Triumph Sprint rig it was) any emergency braking or an emergency maneuver at that speed is unsafe. A hack has none of the accident avoidence aspects of a motorcycle, it manuevers like a car, the acceleration sucks, braking is much worse than any ABS car. Sorry, the laws of physics stack up against 3 wheels...That's just in a straight line, now through in curves...

I question anyone that has ridden a hack and tried a panic stop or a quick swerve to avoid something in the road, at speed, and will say a hack is stable.

Speed kills on a hack. If you want speed, stay on two wheels. Just my $.02 YMMV...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #1925
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
The layout of any sidecar is unstable, a compromise in every direction. Although getting a hack to 70 or 75 is easy (well on my Triumph Sprint rig it was) any emergency braking or an emergency maneuver at that speed is unsafe. A hack has none of the accident avoidence aspects of a motorcycle, it manuevers like a car, the acceleration sucks, braking is much worse than any ABS car. Sorry, the laws of physics stack up against 3 wheels...That's just in a straight line, now through in curves...

I question anyone that has ridden a hack and tried a panic stop or a quick swerve to avoid something in the road, at speed, and will say a hack is stable.

Speed kills on a hack. If you want speed, stay on two wheels. Just my $.02 YMMV...

You were saying?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #1926
The Rat
trust me!

Well sure....when you put the sidecar on the WRONG side...all the laws of physics are void!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #1927
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,551
This is going to get ugly again....
Schatzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #1928
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,043
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #1929
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post

No shit ... but by fuck it's gonna be fun

Quote:

Brilliant troll so far . Lets see how long you can milk it .

Actually it has , it's called the riders brain .

My rigs all run independent brakes on each wheel , as in not linked to any other brake circuit . One hand lever and two separate foot pedals . My hand/foot/eye coordination works just fine and it stops nicely at any speed mid corner or not .

Your turn ... lets see what ya got
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #1930
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Haha oops did I help set this one off? My first motored thing was an ATC 90 I started riding when I was 5. Three wheels with one in the front are scary as hell. My ATC ended up dropping from a trail 300ft into a canyon. I bailed right before it went over. I'm not saying it wasn't fun right up until that moment though! Judging from my experience with the ATC I think i d love to have a hack. I just know there are performance limitations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #1931
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,551
Murdercycles are dangerous.... M'kay

I know of what, 3 Urals that have been wrecked. One was really fucking bad in regards to injuries. That one involved an inexperienced rider who was on his bike for almost his first time. If his statement was true, wouldn't we see a higher percentage of sidecars in accidents vs 2 wheeled bikes?

I feel safer on the Ural. Every fucker slows down to look at me.
Schatzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #1932
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
... I think going over 65 is inherently unsafe....
An accurate statement for my Sportster/Texas rig -- but not so much for my former K100/EML full conversion.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #1933
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
No shit ... but by fuck it's gonna be fun
Meh,
Nothing new or unique here, just another know-it-all sharing his misery by venting his spleen.

If I cant be happy, no one can.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #1934
The Rat
trust me!

Quote:
Murdercycles are dangerous.... M'kay

I know of what, 3 Urals that have been wrecked. One was really fucking bad in regards to injuries. That one involved an inexperienced rider who was on his bike for almost his first time. If his statement was true, wouldn't we see a higher percentage of sidecars in accidents vs 2 wheeled bikes?
Actually... Statistically sidecars are in less accidents. (Which, if you understand statistics, doesn't mean they are safer!) Is it because they are safer? Or, are they usually owned by more experienced riders? Or.... are most driven at reasonable speeds? Are they easier to see or more "noticeable"? Physics are physics, sidecars suck for stability. Using a hand and two feet all working independently to stop a vehicle safely? Jeeze....
Some are better than others, a Hannigan side by side with a car tire, leading link conversion on a K bike is a whole different animal than a velorex on a Sporty. My ORIGINAL point was....while a KLR would seem underpowered for a sidecar rig, I think it would be a safe, enjoyable ride. I'm quite happy having 65 as my top speed in a hack. I don't see that as a drawback on my Ural.

Again, since this is ADV, home of superhuman riders, pop NOS on your hack and take the MRS, kids, dog and two weeks of camping gear down the Salt Flats at 180....I can't go, my Ural is still broken here in the real world...

Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #1935
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
....while a KLR would seem underpowered for a sidecar rig, I think it would be a safe, enjoyable ride. I'm quite happy having 65 as my top speed in a hack. I don't see that as a drawback on my Ural. ...
Of the 2 KLR rigs RedMenace has for sale, the one with the Sputnic will cruise at 70 and the "Enduro" chair will cruise at 65.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote