Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #181
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post

Very little of people actually explaining how the Ural is not one of the most unreliable new production bikes sold in the USA.
I suppose you missed the hundreds of pages here, on Soviet Steeds, Russian Iron, USCA and other places where current and past owners have talked frankly, good and bad, about Urals.

You come here stating you feel the need to "save the world" from Ural misinformation, when anyone with a computer and minimal reading skills can get a fair and realistic understanding about them in a short time.

I sure would like to know where you got the impression anyone is claiming they are one of the most reliable bikes made.

Quote:
I said Russia by and large produces low quality goods and has big quality control problems. I said nothing about Russian people.

If you disagree about the quality control, please explain.
Your so wrapped up in your little world that you completely fail to comprehend how insulting and inflammatory you are, Isn't how viral this thread has become any clue to you?

Quote:
You are misleading. You have compared an extremely high end custom rig to the barest bones cheapest Ural available.
You have a real talent for only seeing what you want to fit your tantrum don't you.

Reading 101,

I'm saying they are both limited production goods and a fair value for what you get

I actually agree with many of your complaints, but then you go overboard on tangents, claiming your personal opinions, perceptions and experiences as undeniable statements of facts.
There are many folks who really like their Urals, and when folks who have had positive ownership experiences disagree with you, you declare them to be a lucky exception or delusional.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #182
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
And why does it seem that many of the people extolling the virtues of Ural and claiming that it is good value have older cheaper Urals?

If a new Ural is a great value fore the price, why don't you get one?

I did,

And I have been very pleased with it's value and reliability using it as my only transportation for the past 4 years, I would not hesitate to get a new one, but I don't need to as mine is still working and running great with 70,000 km on it
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #183
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,031
Flame on!

Boy, there's a world of butthurt in this thread! Hilarious.

As was mentioned, without warranty claim info from IMZ as well as every other manufacturer selling in the U.S.,
there is no way to say if Ural or any other make is the most unreliable bike sold here.

That question could have been resolved in post #2. Instead we have thirteen pages of anecdotes and opinions.
No data addressing the original question.

Sure has been entertaining, though!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #184
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Your own own words to me were "The Ural is just not geared low enough for hard off road use"

Yep, the Patrol will be sold.
bokad,

The words you quoted from me are true, I would never deny them.

I have said for YEARS that the Ural needs lower gears to be better off road then it already is, so your not telling the world anything that isn't already known by those who care to do a bit of research and ask questions of those who have been beating the HELL out of them for a long time. That said I have had my Ural in places that would make what your doing look pretty darn tame.

Don't take my word for it listen to Hubert, I met and rode with Hubert in Death Valley in 2006 IIRC, he was so impressed with what Dangerous Don and my Ural could do that his BMW couldn't. He stayed in contact with me for a couple of years ended up buying a Ural and is now using one on his round the world adventure. Look at his blog and the photos of Death Valley, go to the Ural web site view the video I took of our Ural's CLIMBING Mengel Pass and Hubert's BMW being pulled up the same Pass by a bunch of people using a rope.

If you had talked to IMWA BEFORE you started your trip and asked them if they would support you in such an undertaking there is a pretty good chance you too could have gotten some sort of support for your ride as it would have made great advertisement for them. As it is you shit in your own yard so to speak so deal with it, SELL the Ural your not the type of rider to do the rig justice.

I am not giving you a hard time I am simply stating the truth, the Ural like its riders has limitations, it would seem you have exceeded both yours and the machines. Perhaps you should buy a $60,000.00 PLUS BMW with the high tech German made two wheel drive and reverse, I'd like to see you get parts for that or fix it along side of the road with the tools that come with the bike.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 09:15 AM Reason: cuss I don't sqel for shite
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #185
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
When was the last time you got head on a motorcycle while going 60 mph down the road? Urals rock!

Bokad, I think I might be interested in your Ural too.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #186
techsan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Well, this has been fun!

Lots of personal attacks.
Lots of blah blah blah.

Very little of people actually explaining how the Ural is not one of the most unreliable new production bikes sold in the USA.

Lots of people complaining that it's not nice to say Russia has bad quality control.

Very little of people showing that it doesn't

Anything new to add or can we wrap this drama up?
Free country, free speech, your own opinion good for you...here is mine, stick it in your tail pipe you long winded tree hugger!
techsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #187
hogmaine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
When was the last time you got head on a motorcycle while going 60 mph down the road? Urals rock!
Hey Marty when was the last time you did ??
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #188
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
is this "Head" thing you guys talk about done while flying the chair or with all 3 wheels safely on the ground...!
davide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #189
hogmaine
Adventurer

Quote:
is this "Head" thing you guys talk about done while flying the chair or with all 3 wheels safely on the ground...!
either way works for me, just don't put the tub down hard ya might loose something
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #190
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #191
hogmaine
Adventurer

I started riding some 40 years ago, being well not well off, my bikes were to say the least running basket cases. Thru dozens of bikes dirt and street I kept getting slightly better bikes, bikes that got me further between break downs. Eventually worked my way to newer Jap. bikes and somewhere a whole lot of the fun, I was having all those years went away, riding was somewhat boring. I guess some people look at getting there, while others look at how they got there. Kind of like being born with a silver spoon instead of working for it, it just does not have the same meaning when you get there. Like most other Ural owners, I knew what I was getting, I knew what I was looking for. This is a bike you can work on, not needing $120.00 an hour service tech. This is a bike I can pick up the phone and call, text, email, pm the owner of the company, talk directly to him, and he has always been willing to help. I cannot say enough about this company and it's people. And for that matter the people I have met that own and love these motorcycle as well.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Same can be said of motorcyclist.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #192
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmaine View Post
I started riding some 40 years ago, being well not well off, my bikes were to say the least running basket cases. Thru dozens of bikes dirt and street I kept getting slightly better bikes, bikes that got me further between break downs. Eventually worked my way to newer Jap. bikes and somewhere a whole lot of the fun, I was having all those years went away, riding was somewhat boring. I guess some people look at getting there, while others look at how they got there. Kind of like being born with a silver spoon instead of working for it, it just does not have the same meaning when you get there. Like most other Ural owners, I knew what I was getting, I knew what I was looking for. This is a bike you can work on, not needing $120.00 an hour service tech. This is a bike I can pick up the phone and call, text, email, pm the owner of the company, talk directly to him, and he has always been willing to help. I cannot say enough about this company and it's people. And for that matter the people I have met that own and love these motorcycle as well.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Same can be said of motorcyclist.
I hear you and fully agree. When I split Florida in an old VW bus I had no idea where I would end up. I honestly did not care, it was all about the journey. I used to think "I know I am looking for something, not sure what it is, but, when I find it, I will know I was searching for it..." It was my first bus and I learned to work on it as I went. It was loaded with all my belongings, including my 3 big dogs hence the impossibility of riding a bike. Eventually, years later, I landed in Mendocino county, northern California. Smack in the middle of the forest. Lived in a 9 feet x 9 feet cabin, no bathroom or running water, for 5 years. I was able to do all my maintenance and repairs on my bus, outside, lying in the mud, with very limited tools. It would have been the same with the Ural. That is why I like it so much and would accept the limitations/failures as part of the deal. High price? Perhaps.

Brand new Ural: $10k to $15K

Cost of ownership in terms of frequent maintenance/occasional repairs/rebuilds:
maybe higher than a modern appliance

The chance of purchasing your GranPa's hack, new and with some key modern updates and a solid warranty behind it: priceless!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #193
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Ya know bokad this thread may not turn out the way you thought it would, you already have folks wanting to BUY your rig maybe you should hold an auction, SELL that RPOC and get some of your money back. You should also contact Ilya, and ask if you can get a percentage on Ural's sold in the future because of the exposure to many who perhaps would not have even considered buying one if not for your thread. I can see at least two silver linings to this supposed dark cloud.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #194
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Henry David Thoreau
Well said Hogmaine

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #195
hogmaine
Adventurer

Quote:
the chance of purchasing your granpa's hack, new and with some key modern updates and a solid warranty behind it: Priceless!
+1