Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #1996
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Have had broken stuff on the Ural, they treated my like a king and all is right now. Love my Ural not gonna trash talk it even if it is not fast. Very hi smiles per mile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #1997
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpres View Post
Very hi smiles per mile.

I think that pretty much sums it all up, right there.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #1998
KawiVA76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Own a 2008 BMW R1200R, own a 2010 Ural Taiga. Love them both and they both have their purpose. Don't write off the Ural. They're quirky, but as solid as any machine I've ever owned. Except my wifes 96 VW Cabrio, now that was a disaster, lol.

Mike

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
KawiVA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #1999
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiVA76 View Post
Own a 2008 BMW R1200R, own a 2010 Ural Taiga. Love them both and they both have their purpose. Don't write off the Ural. They're quirky, but as solid as any machine I've ever owned. Except my wifes 96 VW Cabrio, now that was a disaster, lol.

Mike

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Just curious how many here have had other sidecar outfits prior to the Ural and how many have a Ural plus another outfit. No motive for this question just curious. We considered becoming a Ural dealer a while back after they called us but didn't have the money to purchase the three they wanted to get into it. Just as well we are quite busy as is. I think Urals are cool and they are what they are. Newer ones have come a long way but it seems they are still not a simple gas and go type machine for many. Those who have been disappointed with them probably didn't expect this and all. Those who like them love them and ,yes, that's cool.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #2000
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Just curious how many here have had other sidecar outfits prior to the Ural and how many have a Ural plus another outfit. No motive for this question just curious. We considered becoming a Ural dealer a while back after they called us but didn't have the money to purchase the three they wanted to get into it. Just as well we are quite busy as is. I think Urals are cool and they are what they are. Newer ones have come a long way but it seems they are still not a simple gas and go type machine for many. Those who have been disappointed with them probably didn't expect this and all. Those who like them love them and ,yes, that's cool.
Fair question. The Ural was my introduction to sidecars due to affordable price and the 2wd potential on trails (note I did not say off road).

I now have hacked the ST for my wife's comfort for longer highway trips but I doubt I would have started down the sidecar path without the Ural due to the high cost and complications of having a hack mounted to an existing bike.

The Ural lives at our rural weekend home where it will still be thrashed about on the back roads and trails.

Sends shivers up my spine to say, but without the Ural, I might have ended up on a Canam Spyder..................

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #2001
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,839
We bought a used 2007 Ural Tourist (1 wheel drive) as a fairly inexpensive way to see if a sidecar was a good fit for us. We used it for a year (about 5K miles) and sold it for what we paid for it. Current rig is a 2007 BMW R1200GSA with a DMC sidecar.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #2002
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Do they sell the 2wd in a left hand chair setup, or is it only for the chair on the right?

This doesn't mean I'm coming to the dark side.

What sort of suspension upgrades are there?

Nope, still not crossing over...

Long range fuel tank options, you can only carry so many Jerry cans?

Performance (snigger) upgrades....are there?

Someone said they put GS airhead engines in them. Hard to do? On a modification scale of 1 to 10....1 being bolt on, and 10 involving pipe benders, a machine shop, a TIG, a book on frame building, and 8 cases of beer?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #2003
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Do they sell the 2wd in a left hand chair setup, or is it only for the chair on the right?

This doesn't mean I'm coming to the dark side.

What sort of suspension upgrades are there?

Nope, still not crossing over...

Long range fuel tank options, you can only carry so many Jerry cans?

Performance (snigger) upgrades....are there?

Someone said they put GS airhead engines in them. Hard to do? On a modification scale of 1 to 10....1 being bolt on, and 10 involving pipe benders, a machine shop, a TIG, a book on frame building, and 8 cases of beer?
Only 8 cases of beer? :-)

I would think it would be easier to hang a hack on a GS than to wedge the GS drivetrain in a Ural.

Gas cans are easy, aux tank is only going to give you another gallon = another 30 miles.

As for performance, the 2014 are FI, so that is the best performance bump, with related beefed up parts to match ( final drive).
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #2004
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Ural had warranty and I was afraid of unsafe backyard built rig. Since I bought a Ural my dad bought a Harley Davidson rig, I want a freeway flyer rig and another Ural to keep the Retro company, right tool for the job you know.

Ural rig and Harley rig are very different tools, Ural hack is more comfortable per my wife.

cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #2005
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Just curious how many here have had other sidecar outfits prior to the Ural
My Ural is my first outfit. I looked around and the Ural was good value given performance wasn't an issue. I wanted something I wasn't afraid to work on since that is part of the ownership experience I wanted.

I bought a 2009 Tourist and am still in love! It certainly isn't for everyone, but that's ok; if it was maybe it wouldn't be right for me.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #2006
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
The Ural is my first sidecar rig and the reason I wanted it was precisely because it is NOT a gas and go machine. I have another bike that is, and it has become boring. I wanted something different that needed more owner involvement and a chance to build up my shade tree mechanic repertoire. Mine certainly needs more attention than a modern bike, but has proved itself to be much more reliable than I had anticipated when I got it.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #2007
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Just curious how many here have had other sidecar outfits prior to the Ural and how many have a Ural plus another outfit.
My Ural Yamal was my first sidecar outfit. Been riding bikes for 58 years and always wanted a hack so I bought one and am happy with the decision.

Went to a sidecar get together recently and noticed the Ural guys were out riding the gravel roads and the Goldwing,BMW, and Harley hack guys were sitting around bragging about riding the super slab going 80 MPH.
My Ural is hard pressed to do 65 MPH. But I don't need to do 65 MPH in the mountains of WNC.

Different strokes for different folks.
And definitely Urals are not for everyone.
I just did the 10k km service on mine and it was a lot.
I bet a dealer would have to charge an arm and a leg for the service.
Don't get one if you don't like to wrench.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #2008
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
The Ural is my first sidecar rig and the reason I wanted it was precisely because it is NOT a gas and go machine. I have another bike that is, and it has become boring. I wanted something different that needed more owner involvement and a chance to build up my shade tree mechanic repertoire. Mine certainly needs more attention than a modern bike, but has proved itself to be much more reliable than I had anticipated when I got it.
I guess you wont like the 2014's

No more need to,

set timing
adjust idle
set air screw
fine tune needles and jets
balance carbs
bed in brakes
adjust brakes
clean breather mist out of airbox
check and tighten wheel bearing retainers
fool with friction damper (replaced by 15 step adjustable hydraulic damper)

Basically it will be routine oil changes/lubrication, valve adjustments and air cleaner service. Using standard off the shelf automotive spin on oil filter and air filter element, even that will be easier and more economical.

IMO, With increased power, performance, higher quality components, reduced maintenance and mileage in the high 30's, a Ural will still be a Ural, but will have more general appeal.

I have ridden it twice, the difference is significant.

My 07 Patrol has almost 85,000 km on it.

windmill screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 09:52 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2009
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I guess you wont like the 2014's

No more need to,

set timing
adjust idle
set air screw
fine tune needles and jets
balance carbs
bed in brakes
adjust brakes
clean breather mist out of airbox
check and tighten wheel bearing retainers
fool with friction damper (replaced by 15 step adjustable hydraulic damper)

Basically it will be routine oil changes/lubrication, valve adjustments and air cleaner service. Using standard off the shelf automotive spin on oil filter and air filter element, even that will be easier and more economical.

IMO, With increased power, performance, higher quality components, reduced maintenance and mileage in the high 30's, a Ural will still be a Ural, but will have more general appeal.
windmill,
I am sold. 2012 Yamal for sale soon.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #2010
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
[QUOTE=windmill;22485255]I guess you wont like the 2014's

I like them, but I don't want one.
IBA #23064