Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #2011
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
I read a quote somewhere recently, and I can't find it, from a Russian expat who, on being told of his friends recent acquisition of a Ural said:

"Why for you buy motorcycle is already broken before leave factory?"

Made me chuckle.

So do they do them in 2wd with the chair on the left? I have a plan that involves a lot of sand, and the most remote community on the planet.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #2012
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I read a quote somewhere recently, and I can't find it, from a Russian expat who, on being told of his friends recent acquisition of a Ural said:

Made me chuckle.

So do they do them in 2wd with the chair on the left? I have a plan that involves a lot of sand, and the most remote community on the planet.
Given the trans output and driveshaft, I don't see how they could run a left side 2wd final drive. Maybe it exists, but being in USA I have never seen it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2013
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:

Made me chuckle.

I had an encounter with a Russian expat and his young son the other day in a parking lot. He waxed nostalgic about the Ural he used to ride around as a kid back home and how tough they are. Took a pic of his son in the hack.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #2014
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I had an encounter with a Russian expat and his young son the other day in a parking lot. He waxed nostalgic about the Ural he used to ride around as a kid back home and how tough they are. Took a pic of his son in the hack.
Germans used to feel the same way about the original Beetle or Trabant, if it was almost the only choice, loathing is eventually superceded by nostalgia.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #2015
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
So do they do them in 2wd with the chair on the left?
No.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #2016
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,648
Reason #142 not to buy a Ural. You might find yourself tossing the keys to the only sober guy at an ADV rally so he can take you on a beer run.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #2017
Gasket
Wandering Samurai

Oddometer: 201
This is an excellent thread. Since I sold all of my bikes, to include an 1150GS and a VStrom DL1000, I've been considering a Ural.

I assumed the later models were fairly solid machines but apparently the Russians still haven't been able to refine their quality control processes other than for their Ak-47s rifles. I will now approach my buying decision with great caution.
1967 Triumph TR6C
1957 Triumph 650 Flat Tracker
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #2018
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
This is an excellent thread. Since I sold all of my bikes, to include an 1150GS and a VStrom DL1000, I've been considering a Ural.

I assumed the later models were fairly solid machines but apparently the Russians still haven't been able to refine their quality control processes other than for their Ak-47s rifles. I will now approach my buying decision with great caution.
If you can keep a 67 Triumph TR 6 on the road, the Ural will be easy.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #2019
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post

I guess it depends what you want. I did a lot of research before I got my Gear Up. I found buy as new as you can afford and stay on top of the maintenance. I've had no problems with mine except for a defective tail light lens cover(sent one immediately by my dealer). 7500 kms and counting. I wanted something I could ride all year round and for me, I think I found it.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #2020
KawiVA76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Ural is indeed my first rig. The primary factor was price. I'm a mechanic by trade so maintenance didn't scare me. I like thw 1150gs and Bonneville setups but it's 12k-sky's the limit to get into one. I was able to purchase a 2010 Ural at nearly half that. Now that I've confirmed I love it I may still find myself with a GS rig eventually. Although the Ural has a unique charm for sure.

Mike

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
KawiVA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #2021
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
I guess it depends what you want. I did a lot of research before I got my Gear Up. I found buy as new as you can afford and stay on top of the maintenance. I've had no problems with mine except for a defective tail light lens cover(sent one immediately by my dealer). 7500 kms and counting. I wanted something I could ride all year round and for me, I think I found it.
Pete
That is a very nice looking rig. I'm up to 10k km with no problems, knock on wood.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #2022
jplambert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post

Pete
How about a front shot of that rig, I would like to check out the lights. Any alternator load problems ?
jplambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #2023
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplambert View Post
How about a front shot of that rig, I would like to check out the lights. Any alternator load problems ?
Shouldn't have, alt puts out 750kw.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #2024
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
Shouldn't have, alt puts out 750kw.
Um....that's enough to power a couple of city blocks at peak usage, and 1,000 times what it actually puts out.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #2025
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:

Made me chuckle.
Typical comment from "Russians" referring to the past...
The worst place to get advise on Ural it's Russia or Russians with no clue on the subject.

Why? Very few peoples know what are the "new" Ural and even less (...) drove one of them.

Even one of the journalist of Moto-magazine.ru "discover" the new Ural after a 6000km ride... (September&October 2013 issue)

Instead of listen some ignorants better to read the ride reports like Mr Cob in Australia:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831331

or this one:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=uraling