Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #2086
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
A good side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Long answer but I still don't get why the tub wasn't warranted.
You had a Ural spotlight on your Ural spotlight mount, right?
I'm 71 soon to be 72 and luckily haven't had any warranty issues on my 2012 Ural Yamal but do have a recall on my Apr2012 front wheel.

You all may rest assured that because I will continue to repeat my experience w/ the Ural warranty, there will not be a repeat of THEIR sloppy decision to NOT honor their promise regarding the cracks under the factory installed spotlight.

I never thought Ural should replace the sidecar but they should pay for the materials & a bit of labor it required my brother ''BRO" & I to fab up a very good fix. Would not be surprised to see some variation of this fab on later GUs.

Is there anyone who has not seen Ural's vid advertisement. The vids show Ural traveling off any rd or trail & bouncing over all matter of terrain. Hey they are selling the GU. GI Joe types jumping out setting up military equipment & then again rushing back over trees & deep into the forest. What is there not to like about these vids. It tells us (buyers) Ural is one very tough unit made for traversing many off pavement paths or make your own path.

Honoring a warranty is a promise to stand behind a product, any product, use in an expected manner. By Ural's own ads, this is an extreme use product.

You can bet that should a wheel go bad at near any speed there could be an injury or death. Ural should recall those wheels/rims. It will save them millions in the long run. This the USA, we have lawyers everywhere waiting for injuries to happen. Ural knows this.

I cannot believe ''upper Ural VP manager Jason'' made a smart choise, in the case of the ''Cracked Ural''. But hey, it sure is not life threatening, just bad PR.
I have to wonder was there a dart board on the back of a closed door.

By the way it is good to learn of more Ural riders are having Ural fun in their golden years. I too very much enjoy the time in the saddle & hope to continue a few more years. But I will not let VPs from any company dishonor a good product by disrespecting their company's promise.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #2087
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

An open letter to all potential buyers of new Urals.
Ural is only an imperfect company. The Ural is built by imperfect folks. It is managed by imperfect folks. The product is bought by more imperfect folks, otherwise why would anyone buy this thing, not really a question.

We have a real desire for keeping these rigs on the road to our levels of fun.
Our Urals (2 Gear Ups) have been our imperfect ride to our fun. Along the way imperfect Urals break here & there. Then the neatest thing happens; Ural owners want to help other Ural owners w/o expecting anything in return but to know if the fix worked for the rider in need.

We ''BRO'' & I have & will continue to offer rides & even permit prospective buyers to drive our GU in a pasture. We have ZERO interest in any dealership, by way of $ investments. But we do have a favorite dealer here & there.

In my imperfect way, I want Ural to be better than the way ''upper Ural management'' has treated us. They are only a small loose spoke (not broken) in a bigger wheel turning out OUR fun machines.

I owe a lot to the collective of owners who freely post up unbelievable detailed upgrades & even common sense fixins only to keep more Urals rolling & happy owers.

To these owners & all the trouble shooters who have spent countless hours over their little work benches & then the fix comes to light, I say thank you.
I do not slam your (our) Urals, I only want it better. Whether it be a stronger wheel/rim or a spotlight mount that will not crack the sidecar metal or the deciding factor on who gets his/her warranty claim honored.

We do not ride ''sacred cows''.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #2088
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
An open letter to all potential buyers of new Urals.
Ural is only an imperfect company. The Ural is built by imperfect folks. It is managed by imperfect folks. The product is bought by more imperfect folks, otherwise why would anyone buy this thing, not really a question.

We have a real desire for keeping these rigs on the road to our levels of fun.
Our Urals (2 Gear Ups) have been our imperfect ride to our fun. Along the way imperfect Urals break here & there. Then the neatest thing happens; Ural owners want to help other Ural owners w/o expecting anything in return but to know if the fix worked for the rider in need.

We ''BRO'' & I have & will continue to offer rides & even permit prospective buyers to drive our GU in a pasture. We have ZERO interest in any dealership, by way of $ investments. But we do have a favorite dealer here & there.

In my imperfect way, I want Ural to be better than the way ''upper Ural management'' has treated us. They are only a small loose spoke (not broken) in a bigger wheel turning out OUR fun machines.

I owe a lot to the collective of owners who freely post up unbelievable detailed upgrades & even common sense fixins only to keep more Urals rolling & happy owers.

To these owners & all the trouble shooters who have spent countless hours over their little work benches & then the fix comes to light, I say thank you.
I do not slam your (our) Urals, I only want it better. Whether it be a stronger wheel/rim or a spotlight mount that will not crack the sidecar metal or the deciding factor on who gets his/her warranty claim honored.

We do not ride ''sacred cows''.

With all the "imperfections" you mention, you forgot
they are often ridden by "Imperfect riders" in "imperfect" ways.
these "imperfect riders" most often take responsibility for their own actions
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #2089
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was wondering when the victim of ''upper Ural management'' would become the ''bad guy''.
Why don't you contact GENE & ask him what ''upper Ural management'' had to say ?

I too asked why. It was said to be because the GU-11 was used in a manner it was NOT designed to be used........KEEP UP nbsdave.

I really don't give a rat's rear end about your issue, other than there is more to it than you are telling. It serves no useful purpose to continue this conversation-nothing will change your mind or mine about the strength of the Ural warranty.
Ergo, since nothing will be resolved, future conversation about this will be a waste of perfectly good words and forum space
Now what's with the "KEEP UP" in caps? You trying to be a tough guy?
Doesn't work for me, take it elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #2090
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,309
Too long - redundant. Didn't read.
Quote:
You all may rest assured that because I will continue to repeat my experience w/ the Ural warranty, there will not be a repeat of THEIR sloppy decision to NOT honor their promise regarding the cracks under the factory installed spotlight.

I never thought Ural should replace the sidecar but they should pay for the materials & a bit of labor it required my brother ''BRO" & I to fab up a very good fix. Would not be surprised to see some variation of this fab on later GUs.

Is there anyone who has not seen Ural's vid advertisement. The vids show Ural traveling off any rd or trail & bouncing over all matter of terrain. Hey they are selling the GU. GI Joe types jumping out setting up military equipment & then again rushing back over trees & deep into the forest. What is there not to like about these vids. It tells us (buyers) Ural is one very tough unit made for traversing many off pavement paths or make your own path.

Honoring a warranty is a promise to stand behind a product, any product, use in an expected manner. By Ural's own ads, this is an extreme use product.

You can bet that should a wheel go bad at near any speed there could be an injury or death. Ural should recall those wheels/rims. It will save them millions in the long run. This the USA, we have lawyers everywhere waiting for injuries to happen. Ural knows this.

I cannot believe ''upper Ural VP manager Jason'' made a smart choise, in the case of the ''Cracked Ural''. But hey, it sure is not life threatening, just bad PR.
I have to wonder was there a dart board on the back of a closed door.

By the way it is good to learn of more Ural riders are having Ural fun in their golden years. I too very much enjoy the time in the saddle & hope to continue a few more years. But I will not let VPs from any company dishonor a good product by disrespecting their company's promise.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #2091
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
With all the "imperfections" you mention, you forgot
they are often ridden by "Imperfect riders" in "imperfect" ways.
these "imperfect riders" most often take responsibility for their own actions
Please show me the error of my ways.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #2092
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
I really don't give a rat's rear end about your issue, other than there is more to it than you are telling. It serves no useful purpose to continue this conversation-nothing will change your mind or mine about the strength of the Ural warranty.
Ergo, since nothing will be resolved, future conversation about this will be a waste of perfectly good words and forum space
Now what's with the "KEEP UP" in caps? You trying to be a tough guy?
Doesn't work for me, take it elsewhere.
Your post reads as though you do indeed CARE.

Make the call to GENE. The Ural is actually in my brother's name.

Thanks much, for others will read & have a better idea about the warranty, as all buying a new Ural should. I'm betting ''upper Ural management'' will be much more careful.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2093
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Your post reads as though you do indeed CARE.

Make the call to GENE. The Ural is actually in my brother's name.

Thanks much, for others will read & have a better idea about the warranty, as all buying a new Ural should. I'm betting ''upper Ural management'' will be much more careful.

Sorry to dissapoint you, I will make no calls. I have wasted way too much time on this.
My Ural is in my name. I have no reason to hide what I own.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #2094
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Don't be silly now, hide ownership. Why should there be two different names on the title.

Besides the point is here. You cannot think of a warranty claim being turned away until it happens to you.
The cracks under other GU spotlights are not that uncommon, especially for those that really ride the GU in rough places.
Just what kind of riding would you consider un suited for the GU ?

But it will always be easier to attack something or someone you believe is an easier target rather than dare to point something out that really helps us all.

Cracks formed on GU still under warranty, reason given by Ural to not honor warranty was Ural was used in a manner not intended by Ural. Ask GENE, he put the claim in & told me what VP Jason said was the reason.
Guys this is so simple.

We ride our Ural nearly every km off the pavement, at least 95% .
It is a good unit but the warranty is questionable.

Please KEEP UP
Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #2095
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
I just find it funny the use of the term "keep up"

My goodness man, these are Urals we are talking about and they will not "keep up" no matter how much you wring the throttle :-)

(All in good fun)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #2096
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,309
I love this story! Please tell it again?
Quote:
Don't be silly now, hide ownership. Why should there be two different names on the title.

Besides the point is here. You cannot think of a warranty claim being turned away until it happens to you.
The cracks under other GU spotlights are not that uncommon, especially for those that really ride the GU in rough places.
Just what kind of riding would you consider un suited for the GU ?

But it will always be easier to attack something or someone you believe is an easier target rather than dare to point something out that really helps us all.

Cracks formed on GU still under warranty, reason given by Ural to not honor warranty was Ural was used in a manner not intended by Ural. Ask GENE, he put the claim in & told me what VP Jason said was the reason.
Guys this is so simple.

We ride our Ural nearly every km off the pavement, at least 95% .
It is a good unit but the warranty is questionable.

Please KEEP UP
I would try to use logic, and ask if there have been other Ural tubs that cracked at the searchlight that were covered by the warranty, and it was only "BRO"s claim that was arbitrarily rejected...or if engine problems are randomly addressed by the allegedly non-existent warranty, or if it is only searchlight mounts they draw lots for...but such inquiry has been largely ignored by you. So by all means, tell it again, and again. After all, what would life be without drama?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2097
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Howdy All,

I have resisted replying to this latest fiasco as long as I could. In the close to 7 years I have been "abusing" Urals I have broken just about everything that could possibly be broken, busted, bent, cracked, blown up or is some other way destroyed, I have yet to have the sidecar crack where the spot light bolts to the tub. Perhaps I don't ride'em hard enough..............

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #2098
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,077
As far as Ural Warranty..... I have had a VERY different experience from Wolfgang55.... I had several problems early on ....actually a couple of them self induced....and Ural /Triquest jumped to get them fixed with no hassles and no BS. WAAAY better than my several (now sold) high dollar Teutonic wonders.

I don't know his (Wolfgang55's) story but I personally can say the URAL has had the best warranty coverage, BAR NONE, than any motorcycle (or car for that matter) than I have ever experienced.

If a prospective buyer is worried on this matter, look at the majority of owners experiences....similar to mine...
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #2099
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Pole View Post
Anyone here daft enough to buy not one, but two Ural sidecars in a very short period of time?

No? That's my father then. The first is a M72 from 1956 which has been restored to as new condition, the second is a 1971 M66 that is undergoing restoration.
BTDT!

I wasn't daft, just drunk!
My first Dnepr I intentionally bought.
The second one... well , I vaguely remember drinking a lot and searching stuff on German eBay. I woke up with a hangover and another Dnepr...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #2100
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Cracks formed on GU still under warranty, reason given by Ural to not honor warranty was Ural was used in a manner not intended by Ural.
We have only your word on how the bike was ridden, so it becomes a simple choice wether to believe you or the guy many of us have personal experience with. Guess how that's going to go? Continual bleating is not helping your case, merely making you sound quite bokad-ish.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is online now   Reply With Quote